READ THIS: Serious flaws in ipod classic
Oct 3, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #256 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by cp-Mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no normal iPod dock output to a TV at more than 480i, having them on your iPod is only useful if you want to view those pictures on another computer through the data connection. So unless you have a HTPC, you won't be able to take advantage of the high-rez photos.

So if you are using iTunes to put your photos on your 6G iPod, there must be a bug that's not resizing them properly. And if you're not
using iTunes, well, don't do that.

cp-mike - Well, I guess I wrongly assumed that the full resolution pics would be displayed if I hooked the ipod to a TV.
I am using iTunes. It's the one of the reasons I went with the ipod... ease of use.

leng jai - Cover flow works for me, but only if I let the Classic "think" for 5-10 seconds; then the covers show up one by one.

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #259 of 320
I'm hearing clearer and cleaner sound with 1.02. Maybe it's just placebo effect. Maybe not. Don't know. I'll wait for others to express their findings.

Rick

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #260 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm hearing clearer and cleaner sound with 1.02. Maybe it's just placebo effect. Maybe not. Don't know. I'll wait for others to express their findings.

SQ is exactly the same. This is supported by measurements (in that order).

Marc

Oct 7, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #261 of 320
I agree that SQ is the same, but wayne... it still sounds very good in my setup IMO. But there is a noticeable improvement in menu response and delay (even in coverflow)
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #262 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do covers only show up in Coverflow if the picture is in the same folder as the music? I've got 80% of my albums covered but when I look at coverflow on my classic only about 10% of them show up.

I believe you need to have the cover actually in the tags for the individual tracks for the iPod to use them.

Might be wrong.

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #263 of 320
This problem's kind of a deal-breaker for me... I'm waiting for apple to do a firmware update to fix the phase and treble problems. I hope they will.

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #264 of 320
There are no phase or treble problems. The measurements posted earlier were misinterpreted. They show just as good performance, if not better, than the 5.5g.

See ya
Steve

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #265 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are no phase or treble problems. The measurements posted earlier were misinterpreted. They show just as good performance, if not better, than the 5.5g.

Uh, what? Have I missed something?
blink.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #266 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, what? Have I missed something?
blink.gif

That's exactly what I was thinking! Did we miss something?

Oct 8, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #267 of 320
Just to give everyone an idea of what an ideal audio player would look like on paper I generated the following graphs. The way this measurement software works is by feeding in a source audio file which you then playback through the device. You then record the output of the device on the computer. You can then feed the original file and the one you recorded into the software and it will compare the two generating graphs in the process.

What I've done here is taken the original file and just taken copy of it which I then treat as the recorded file. This essentially simulates an ideal playback device with perfect response that will always output a perfect copy of the file it's playing (since in this case it is the original file).

ideal_response.gif

As to be expected, the frequency response of a simulated ideal device is perfectly flat. The impulse response is interesting too. There is essentially one peak and at full amplitude and the voltage just barely dips below the 0V line on either side. Now neither the 5G or 6G graphs Marc and others have posted show an impulse response quite like this but the 5G comes reasonably close. It dips below 0V slightly more but still flattens out reasonably quickly in around the same time. The 6G impulse response by comparison dips substantially below the 0V line and stays they for quite a while. It also has a ringing for about 0.4ms after the impulse before it flattens out suggesting there is still some energy from the impulse that long after it should have finished.

Given this I think it's safe to say that the graphs do not show the 6G to have a better phase response than the 5G. A better frequency response perhaps but that's debatable too.

Oct 8, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #269 of 320
A diagonal line on phase response indicates that the channels were subtracted improperly. It should be read as flat.

See ya
Steve

Oct 9, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #270 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A diagonal line on phase response indicates that the channels were subtracted improperly. It should be read as flat.

On a phase response graph, yes. The 5G line is flatter than the 6G in the mixed phase response graphs. See here (5G is Blue, 6G is Red).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back