READ THIS: Serious flaws in ipod classic
Nov 3, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #316 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use my iPod photo all the time and it doesn't have any stray noise through the headphone out.

It certainly had this bug, which was very easy to distinguish, and obvious to many many people listening to classical solo piano music. E.g. the 3G had a bug in MP3 playback, causing a weird tremelo to solo piano music. Transcoding the MP3 to AAC was even a better option! These anomalies have been well reported, have been recognized by Apple engineers as well ("oooh, that's bad indeed"), and have been solved in later versions.

The fact that you can't distinguish anomalies of different devices, makes you a lucky person, as you're not disturbed by them. That doesn't mean those anomalies are non-existing, and a problem to others.

Marc

Nov 3, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #317 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try solo piano music - that was the real test for this defect, and it will sound like an electronic haze around the notes. Many never heard it because they didn't listen to solo music with a lot of decay in the notes - put a bit of space and acoustic around the notes and it is a very odd and annoying effect. I think that higher impedance headphones helped cure the problem, but it was perfectly audible in my not very sophisticated PX100s. Its been a couple of years since I sold my photo model, and I can't remember all the discussion that went on at the time, but you can see it was a long thread!

I really am not prone to exaggerating small or nonexistent differences in sound either - this one was perfectly audible to my sackcloth ears. Actually it was responsible for the one amp that I have ever bought, in order that I could listen through the dock (an expensive solution to getting a volume control....).

For some killer solo piano music, try anything by Bill Evans (altho he does have jazz trio of drum and bass) or Keith Jarrett's many CDs where he is totally solo on stage.

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #319 of 320
I just got my 6g 80gig classic a couple days ago, and my first impressions were that it was a bit harsh (I listened to Sheryl Crow - Tuesday night music club) a recording I know fairly well and sometimes use when testing things I build. now after 10 or so hours of play time it seemed to get a little better, last night I installed the 1.03 firmware and again it seems to sound even better. Now I can't say if this was caused by the firmware update or burn in (both of which could cause flame wars)
I'm no expert, but I design and build car/home audio amps, and I've just started with some headphone amps. Listening was done for about 5 mins using the included earphones, (sounded bad!) then I switched to my Alessandro MS1's (headphone jack) for about 10 mins, sounded better but harsh. Switched to and op-amp based amp of my design (just a fancy cmoy) with both the ipod phones and the MS1's and it sounded much smoother, and listenable. 3-4 hours of listening with that setup on the MS1's and I had a bit of a headache, listening fatigue had definatially set in.
another 3-5 hours of use in that configuration and it sounded fine. installed firmware 1.03 last night and today Sheryl Crow sounded wonderful, smooth detailed, I would have to do some direct listening to the cd played on a cd player vs the apple lossless file on the ipod but I would say as a DAP and using good quality files I'll be keeping this ipod for a long time. I was worried about buying it after all of the negative reviews, and even initially I found it sounded bad. However I can say that my 6g 80gig classic sounds great for a an ipod however your results my vary, so take with a grain of salt like all the other posts in this thread.

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #320 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my 6g 80gig classic a couple days ago, and my first impressions were that it was a bit harsh (I listened to Sheryl Crow - Tuesday night music club) a recording I know fairly well and sometimes use when testing things I build. now after 10 or so hours of play time it seemed to get a little better, last night I installed the 1.03 firmware and again it seems to sound even better. Now I can't say if this was caused by the firmware update or burn in (both of which could cause flame wars)
I'm no expert, but I design and build car/home audio amps, and I've just started with some headphone amps. Listening was done for about 5 mins using the included earphones, (sounded bad!) then I switched to my Alessandro MS1's (headphone jack) for about 10 mins, sounded better but harsh. Switched to and op-amp based amp of my design (just a fancy cmoy) with both the ipod phones and the MS1's and it sounded much smoother, and listenable. 3-4 hours of listening with that setup on the MS1's and I had a bit of a headache, listening fatigue had definatially set in.
another 3-5 hours of use in that configuration and it sounded fine. installed firmware 1.03 last night and today Sheryl Crow sounded wonderful, smooth detailed, I would have to do some direct listening to the cd played on a cd player vs the apple lossless file on the ipod but I would say as a DAP and using good quality files I'll be keeping this ipod for a long time. I was worried about buying it after all of the negative reviews, and even initially I found it sounded bad. However I can say that my 6g 80gig classic sounds great for a an ipod however your results my vary, so take with a grain of salt like all the other posts in this thread.

Now go back and listen to your 5/5.5G (if you have one) and tell us if you hear a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back