READ THIS: Serious flaws in ipod classic
Sep 24, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #226 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamboman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know where I can get detailed changelogs of all the iTunes versions? I cannot seem to find detailed differences between 7.4, 7.4.1 and 7.4.2. Thanks.

I can't find any release notes for 7.4.1, just 7.4.2. iTunes 7.4 just added support for the new iPods and never listed any other changes. From memory the only changes in the two minor patches are related to ring tones for the iPhone.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/itunes742forwindows.html

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #227 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hifivoice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've added some headphone measurements to the web. Doesn't add much news:
http://www.hifivoice.com/audio/ipod/...surements.html

Marc,

Your latest update indicates that you have sold your 5G. Can this be iinterpreted that the 6G SQ is not so much of a problem for you anymore? Has it somehow changed?
confused.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #230 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember that the Wolfson codec chip was in the Radio Remote, has anyone tried the Radio Remote on the Classic to see if it has any effect on SQ?

I think this first goes through an A/D and then Wolfson D/A in the radio remote.. In other words, I don't think a streaming digital audio signal is being sent to the radio remote.

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #231 of 320
I can't seem to find the discussion on here, but there was an argument as to whether the Radio Remote was receiving a digital signal (I2S) and using the Wolfson chip in the remote for its DAC or whether it was using the Wolfson chip just for its opamp and receiving an analog line out. I don't know enough about the design of the iPod to know definitively, but I wanted to throw it out there since no one else had brought it up yet.

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #232 of 320
Quote:

I can't seem to find the discussion on here, but there was an argument as to whether the Radio Remote was receiving a digital signal (I2S) and using the Wolfson chip in the remote for its DAC or whether it was using the Wolfson chip just for its opamp and receiving an analog line out. I don't know enough about the design of the iPod to know definitively, but I wanted to throw it out there since no one else had brought it up yet.

The iPod does not output I2S on the dock connector.

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #233 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by akira281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Marc,

Your latest update indicates that you have sold your 5G. Can this be iinterpreted that the 6G SQ is not so much of a problem for you anymore? Has it somehow changed?
confused.gif

There are more aspects to an iPod than SQ only. The 160GB is the most important argument to me. I also like the GUI of the new iPod. And although the SQ is disappointing compared to a 5G, it isn't a disaster (the 3G is much worse for instance).

Finally, I have my stereo home equipment as a "backup" for good SQ.

Marc

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #234 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hifivoice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are more aspects to an iPod than SQ only. The 160GB is the most important argument to me. I also like the GUI of the new iPod. And although the SQ is disappointing compared to a 5G, it isn't a disaster (the 3G is much worse for instance).

Finally, I have my stereo home equipment as a "backup" for good SQ.

Marc

More important than SQ??? Are you sure your an audiophile?
wink.gif
Seriously, thanks for the clarification. I can see your point with the 160GB. I went a different route than you, however. I bought myself an 80GB iMod to add to my 5G. I'll be using my stock 5G mainly for video, though, with a couple docks that Apple rendered useless in the 6G due to a new authentication chip requirement. (Jobs decries DRM for music yet loves it in his own hardware
blink.gif
) This configuration will also allow for a backup unit to be available if one of them ever fails or needs to be serviced.
580smile.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #235 of 320
Quote:

More important than SQ??? Are you sure your an audiophile?
wink.gif

lambda.gif

Primarily a music lover! Audio is a means, but I just can't believe that a company that is on such a good track screws up, probably to earn a few cents. I'm disappointed in that part of this new iPod.

Quote:

Seriously, thanks for the clarification. I can see your point with the 160GB.

I have a lot of music, and pre-selecting what I want on my iPod was taking a lot of time. "Nice new album, but now which one to remove." This new storage saves me a lot of time.

Marc

Oct 1, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #236 of 320
A little mouse told me that the codec in the classic and 3g nano is a newly designed wolfson chipset, not a cirrus logic. That mouse is pretty clever too, he's got a good nose for this stuff
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #237 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A little mouse told me that the codec in the classic and 3g nano is a newly designed wolfson chipset, not a cirrus logic. That mouse is pretty clever too, he's got a good nose for this stuff
wink.gif

images

He certainly does!

Oct 1, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #238 of 320
Quote:

I remember that the Wolfson codec chip was in the Radio Remote, has anyone tried the Radio Remote on the Classic to see if it has any effect on SQ?

I've only had the 6G for four days now, but in that time I hadn't listened to the headphone out until a couple of hours ago...

Wow, how really poor it sounds, muddied, syrupy, congested... sounds vile!! - The radio remote that I use sounds completely different, open, airy, punchy... the two outputs are like chalk and cheese (compared to the 5G where the difference between headphone out and remote out is, by some compared to be minimal if even noticeable... - There is no need to run the pepsi challenge with this one!!)

...So, Radio remote one, headphone out - a big fat zero!!

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #240 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my experience with the iPod Classic.

Have been very happy with my 160 GB classic so far. Because there's no Rockbox, I'm converting my FLACs to ALAC which seems to be faster than re-ripping especially since my album art and tags will transfer.

SQ wise, I'm happy. Out of the headphone jack, there's better synergy with my Yuin PK1 as it tends to warm up the sound some. Sound's even better amped. Sounds great with my Livewires as well both amped and unamped.

I think we can generate curves until the end of time, and debate different DACs/filters/etc, but the bottom line is how does it sound to YOU.

There aren't any portable/transportable players out there with this kind of battery life and capacity with a warranty. The SQ is not much worse/better than previous iPods (except the iMod).

Hi!
What program are you using to convert your Flac to ALAC?

I recently bought a ipod and need to convert my flac.
I use Easy CD-DA Extract but in the current version it does not offer the conversion Flac to ALAC.

Thanks for your reply

regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back