READ THIS: Serious flaws in ipod classic
Oct 9, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #271 of 320
That looks pretty diagonal to me. The deviations from a straight line are more subtle and spread out. It looks to me like the bass measures a bit better in the Classic. Both of them look very good.

See ya
Steve

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #272 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A diagonal line on phase response indicates that the channels were subtracted improperly. It should be read as flat.

"Subtracting which channels improperly"? The reason for the diagonal is a slight group delay.

The 6G deviates more from a linear curve than the 5.5G.

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #273 of 320
Quote:

That looks pretty diagonal to me. The deviations from a straight line are more subtle and spread out. It looks to me like the bass measures a bit better in the Classic. Both of them look very good.

Besides the intermod, the uplift, and the phase deviation, the 6G doesn't look bad. But they are incomparable.

Marc

Oct 11, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #274 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experience with the 160GB Classic:

Sound: Petty good overall. Not as nearly as liquid as my iMod though.

UI: This is where it breaks down. The design of the UI is much nicer and more polished than previous generations. It does not, however, work smoothly though. 2-4 seconds lag time to go from one menu to another, or select an album. Frustrating. I keep pictures on my iPods. This feature is almost useless on my Classic. Slide-show works, but when you have 500+ pic in an album and want to show someone certain pics, you don't want to have to watch the whole slide-show. You can't toggle through the pics with the scroll wheel. You can't select pics from the thumbs screen. It just doesn't work. I understand a lot of guys here don't care about anything but the sound, but for me the iPod is an "all in one" solution. Start taking features away from the thing and it takes away the usefulness of the product. The UI was a deal breaker for me. Mine is going back.

OK here's my question: I don't care about video, cover art and all that. I'm all about the music. Already have a 4g Imod fed into either a Portaphile, Supermacro IV LE or Tomahawk. that said, is this new "Classic" gonna give me better sound than my Imod?? If "yes" I'll upgrade. I'm reading here some divergent opinions on SQ and all that, so just curious

Oct 11, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #276 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK here's my question: I don't care about video, cover art and all that. I'm all about the music. Already have a 4g Imod fed into either a Portaphile, Supermacro IV LE or Tomahawk. that said, is this new "Classic" gonna give me better sound than my Imod?? If "yes" I'll upgrade. I'm reading here some divergent opinions on SQ and all that, so just curious

Just make sure you buy it from a reputable dealer who will let you return it no questions asked and without socking you with a huge restocking fee. You might end up liking it. But if you're as sensitive to sound issues as I am, you'll be returning it.

Oct 12, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #277 of 320
I was given a 30gb 5g ipod at work. Model no is A1136 with a copyright date of 2005. I restored it to factory settings, updated the firmware, and loaded some of the same lossless tracks as I have on my 6g.

For all of my complaining about the sibilance in the 6g, the 6g sounds better than the 5g. To me, the 5g is not close. Now I just have to find a 5.5 to listen to....

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #278 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hifivoice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Subtracting which channels improperly"? The reason for the diagonal is a slight group delay.

There was a link earlier in the thread to a site that indicated that diagonal group delay charts indicated an error in computing the figures- an offset between subtracting the two channels that causes a repeating error that creates a diagonal line when it should be flat. I've never sat down and figured out exactly how all that works. Perhaps you know better than I.

See ya
Steve

Oct 12, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #279 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by markopolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just make sure you buy it from a reputable dealer who will let you return it no questions asked and without socking you with a huge restocking fee. You might end up liking it. But if you're as sensitive to sound issues as I am, you'll be returning it.

yeah, that's my concern. Had the 5g Ipod that I sold to get the 4g Imod from Vinnie. Love that sound with amps, Etys and Beyers. But you have a good idea: maybe go to the Apple Store here with amps and ALO cabling and mess with one to see for myself. Sorta onsite A/B. Think they'd get PO'd??? And then again, who cares if they do???

Whoohooo--road trip tomorrow!!!

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #280 of 320
Quote:

There was a link earlier in the thread to a site that indicated that diagonal group delay charts indicated an error in computing the figures- an offset between subtracting the two channels that causes a repeating error that creates a diagonal line when it should be flat.

I really have no clue what those people are talking about. In this case, adding a group delay to your measurement (or to the start of the FFT window used to calculate the freq. resp. from the imp. resp.) will bend the curve. See an example below, where I add some group delay to the second.

The problem I have is that the grid at which you can move the start of the FFT window is limited to the sample frequency. By definition, a 44.1kHz sample freq. means a grid of 1/44100 = 0.022ms. So I have to move the window start with that. When you look at the impulse response, 0.022ms is a significan part, and you can see what it does with the curve. I've tried to use a higher sample frequency so I get a finer grid to move the window start, but the iPod doesn't support the playback of such a file, and the measurement software expects both to have the same sample freq. to be able to obtain the impulse response. I.e., we have to live with the measurement restrictin, but if we can explain the observed differences, that's fine.

Please note that "linear curve" means "linear curve on a linear axis". The frequency axis is logarithmic, so this means that "linear" is different from a straight line in this case. Maybe I should have explained that better.

Marc

Oct 21, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #284 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been listening to the classic for a month now and I still do not know what the SQ issue is. It sounds great.

Mee too, thats just curious
blink.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #285 of 320
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericwatson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What has happened to the sound issue withe the classic dose anyone know if they have fixed this

It is what it is. There is nothing to fix. Most people (including me) seem to like the sound as just as well or better than the previous versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back