READ THIS and get a superb headphone for $16.99
Nov 29, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #122 of 366
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
no, that means that you buy a radio shack 30 watt soldering iron and a mini gold plug. you cut the plug 1" away, and then solder to their respective leads on the new plug. (black is usually ground). if you can't open the old plug, then you use a battery and light bulb, or continuity tester and match up the colored wires to the correct place (top, middle, bottom).

Or at the same Ratshack, you could buy a nice adapter for 2 bucks or so...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #124 of 366
From my Stereophile library:
Vol 14 No 8
14 headphone shootout article by Bill Sommerwerck

One is inclined to cast a cynical eye at products labeled "professional" or "digital reference." If the product is good, its quality should speak for itself, without hyperbole.

So the JVC HA-D990 isn't any good right? WRONG. It's extremely good, good enough to get a recomendation at the bottom of class C.

The 990's colorations err roughly on the opposite direction of the other headphones in this category. Brass instruments tend toward brightness, without actually becoming hard. Sibilants are slightly exagerated and strings sometimes a bit rough. The piano in the DG Berman/Giulini Pinao Concertos recording sounded a bit brash and wiry.

Although this error would normally be a mild liability, it actually enhanced the other good qualities of these phones. Their sound is beutifully clear and transparent (especcially when compared to other dynamic models) and never becomes etched or clinically analytical. (the 990 was one of the few phones to clearly reveal the musicians moving around on the Bainbridge Rachmaninoff cello disc.) One is constantly aware of a tremendous sense of openess and space, without it ever distracting from the music. Soldat displayed an especially strong sense of the room in which the recording was made.

The 990 does not lack warmth or bass impact, though. My notes indicate that the opening drum of Star Trek produced a noteworthy thud. They also say I found "the Entry of the Gods into Valhalla" "fun, thrilling".

Some listeners will find the 990 espectially appealing because it is both circumnaural AND closed backed. Although the 990 does not seal tightly to the head, its isolation was nevertheless quite good. It is unusally light and comfortable for fully sealed headphones. It is also unusual for LACKING the midrange and midbass colorations that afflict so many other closed headphones.

The 990 was one of the most difficult headphones in this group to audition because I constantly found myself wanting to enjoy the music, rather than analyze the sound. What else can I say? Highly recomended!

SPECS:
5hz-27khz
65 ohms
106db sensitivity /1mW
Power Handling 100mW
weight 24 grams (headset only)
weight 290 Grams (headset and cable)
Cable configuration Straight, OFC, left side entry
Price $150.

From Receomeded components
Vol 14 no 10
Headphones

Class A
Grado HP1
Stax SR LAmda Signature
Stax Lambda pro

Class B
AKG K1000
Stax Gamma Pro
Stax Gamma
Stax SR5
Stax SR34
Stax ED1

Class C
Beyerdynamic DT990
Beyerdynamic IRS-690 (cordless)

JVC HA-D990
These circumnaural AND closed back cans lack the midrange and midbass colorations that afflict so many other closed back headphones and produce a sound that is beautifully clear and transparent. Though brass instruments tend toward brightness, they don't actually become hard sounding. Amirror image of the Sony 999-full but tight bass, along with crisp detailing without being etched.

SonyMDR-999
Sony MDR-CD6

CLASS D
Beyerdynamic DT320 MkII
Koss Pro 75
Nakamichi SP-7
Sony MDR-V6
Sony MDR-E484
Sony MDR-S101

Add me to the list of lemmings, for $25 I'll be interested to see how a low impedence headphone works with my MG Head OTL!

Nov 29, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #125 of 366
Well since everybody's having so much fun counting victimized wallets, I guess I'd better 'fess up too. But I should also admit that with W100's and W1000's on the way too, I figured my wallet was numb enough not to really notice another $16.99 escaping.

Okay now, don't anybody discover any new super-cool deals for awhile, all right?
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #126 of 366
i wonder if a lot of people are NOT going to get them because they were too late, or they sold out, and because of the holiday they weren't inserted by the computer. what if etronics is closed until monday?

Nov 29, 2002 at 6:05 AM Post #128 of 366
It would seem that at $20 a pop you can't go too wrong with these cans. And if they sound as good or nearly as good as my wife's V6's do, I'll sell the V6's and pocket the difference!!! And the lovely lady will thank me for saving the money and finding her better headphones!!

Nov 29, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #130 of 366
Quote:

Originally posted by skippy
if i can wake up early enough tomorrow i'll go to their brick n mortar store to pick up a pair.

Skippy, do they offer the same prices in-store as their online prices? Also have you ever been there, I was going to go once but it seemed too much out of my way.

Nov 29, 2002 at 7:16 AM Post #132 of 366
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
i wonder if a lot of people are NOT going to get them because they were too late, or they sold out, and because of the holiday they weren't inserted by the computer. what if etronics is closed until monday?

Chances are they'll be open tomorrow.

Nov 29, 2002 at 7:44 AM Post #134 of 366
Quote:

One is constantly aware of a tremendous sense of openess and space, without it ever distracting from the music. Soldat displayed an especially strong sense of the room in which the recording was made.

Sounds like it may match well with the Meta w/ad8620's(?). Or would that be too much 'air'?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back