RE252 takes the best from ER-4S and RE0
Apr 5, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #31 of 72
[size=medium]Update Apr 5, 2010[/size]

This mod allows me for better fir and for better sound consequently. I believe mod does not affect sound a lot itself, but rather improves it due to a better seal unavailable to me before. Being able to finally hear all RE252 goodies, I compared it against custom tipped ER-4P / ER-4S, RE0 and ATH-CK10. All these IEMs are excellent but can not beat RE252 as a whole:
  1. ER-4P has lesser details
  2. ER-4S has lesser impact, body, sounds dry and somewhat harsh
  3. RE0 has lesser speed and clarity
  4. ATH-CK10 has wonderful mids, but some spikes in treble or upper mids lead to sibilance
Well, it is time to retire my old trusty ER-4S and RE0, since they offer no strong advantages over RE252. RE252 provide the middle sound signature between theirs and combines their strengths, getting rid of the weaknesses. The only drawback is the uncommon shape of the stock shells, which someone ears can not accommodate. Those who will achieve comfortable fit would be much rewarded with excellent sound.

I recommend RE252 as top single driver IEM

Probably, some multi-drivers custom IEMs may sound better (I've yet to hear them). But they cost 6 times more and they are not “a purist dream”, because they contain crossovers. In contrary, RE252 has nothing in the signal path aside drivers and wires, so theoretically it is free of phase shifts and other crossover-related problems.

I congratulate Head-Direct and Fang personally with another outstanding product. I wish they would revise RE252 shape to unleash the outstanding strengths of its driver.

Similarities

As I said before, it has much common with both ER-4S and RE0. With regards to the full-size cans, its sound sig resembles Tesla T1, though RE252 sounds tad fuller with some minor loss of microdetails. I may also mention ATH-W5000, which sounds a bit warmer and somewhat slower.

Sources/amplification

RE252 is sensitive and do not need amplification, but it may reveal the source weaknesses, so it may not match any source well. It sounds a bit thin with headphone out of iPod 5.5gen, but I am sure this is not its fault, because it sounds fuller with iPhone 3G and pretty warm with Sansa Clip. With Pico DAC/Amp feeded through USB it sounds incredibly good.

RE252 place in my sound quality ranking chart (ver. Apr 4, 2010) - so many good IEMs were beaten

I tried more than 90 headphones, but I list only those I may rate with confidence. I divide them into the 5 classes by sound quality alone - Hi-End, Hi-Fi, Mid-Fi, Low-Fi and Consumer Grade. Then I divide some classes with 3 subclasses - like H1, H2, H3 for Hi-Fi. Inside the rows headphones are listed in the order of my personal preference with no regards to the pricing - I asked myself: "Which do you like more to receive as a gift?". There is an interesting phenomena - I prefer some headphones (say DT770) to those higher rated (say DT880). Unfortunately, I found no way to represent this in a simple way.

I made the headphones I reviewed clickable, most links lead to their reviews or descriptions. This chart may differ from its previous versions shown in my former reviews. Most of the cans from L category are rated un-amped, some of them (say Koss) may move up when amped.
HE Tesla T1

H1 SR-404; HD650; W5000; RE252km; ER-4S (custom tips, OFC); AD2000
H2 RE0 (custom tips, no filter); CK10; ER-4S (custom tips); D2000; E500; K701; W1000; HD600; AD1000PRM
H3 TM5; RE0; ER-4P (custom tips); DT880/250; AD1000

M1 K501; G1A; ER-4P; DT990/250; OK1; AD900; SA6; UM2; Ergo 2
M2 KSC-35km; PK1; MDR-F1; AD700; DT770/80; SR225; HD595; E4c
M3 G2A; SR80; EW9; ER-6i; CM700; HD555; DT660; HD280

L1 OK2; iGrado; HD485; PX100; PMX100; UE 5 EB; A900
L2 MDR-Q68LW (EQ-ed); UR40; OK3; PortaPro; K319; SportaPro; Grado clip-ons; D-Jays; DT231
L3 PK3; KSC-75; PXC250 (leather pads); PK2; UE 3; E2c; CX300

CG v-Moda Vibe; HA-FX33 (kramer mod); SHE2550; SHP2700; iPod earbuds; K27i ; SHL9500; MX75

Apr 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #32 of 72
Very nice review. The RE252s were nowhere on my radar until now. Seeing that they beat out the ER4Ps and the RE0s I'm definitely going to remember these when my wallet recuperates.

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #33 of 72
Very nice review update, thanks! I concur with a lot of what's been said. I recently A/Bed them to the RE0 and PFE and they came out best, though you'd surely not like my opinion of the RE0s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I congratulate Head-Direct and Fang personally with another outstanding product. I wish they would revise RE252 shape to unleash the outstanding strengths of its driver.

I second the congratulation and the request for a shell revision.

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #34 of 72
Update Apr 6, 2010: I changed my mind on RE252 transparency. At the end of the day, with 50/50 ratio mentioned at OP it is quite transparent. It is more transparent than Etymotics, revealing source/amp character more obviously.

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #35 of 72
I noticed the addition of "RE0 with custom tips". Any pictures? Is it just the tips or is the entire body encapsulated?

Personnally I own RE0, PK1, PK2, PortaPro, HD580 (similar to HD600) and AKG 271 (disappeared from you latest ranking) and for these I confirm the ranking. My 25 year old Stax Gamma Pro and my 15 year old AKG K1000 top all of them.

In terms of value for money, RE0 and PX 100 II rule, in particular when taking into account the risk of loss, theft and damage in portable or travel mode.

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #36 of 72
Very mature thoughts for very junior head-fier.
beerchug.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #37 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by zappp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed the addition of "RE0 with custom tips". Any pictures? Is it just the tips or is the entire body encapsulated?

These are tips, see pictures in my review of Head-Direct RE0. EDIT: those of "body" color (pink?).

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #38 of 72
Nice review/comparison of the RE252. It really is an extremely good product. My only suggestion for anyone looking to try it out, tip choice is very important. You can get a much better seal and much more comfortable fitment with the right tip. Foams become an obvious choice. Comply T-500 tips fit great onto this earphone, but the open cell foam design can soak up some of the highs. The Olive is a closed cell type and doesn't soak away the top end. Really, this earphone has some of the best treble quality and extension of anything I've used short the Triple.Fi 10. Soaking up a little bit isn't detrimental because it still is present and shows through well after. It's just a little warmer in presentation which may or may not be bad depending on taste.

I do agree this is probably one of the best if not the best dynamic driver earphone on the market. I would certainly pick it over the IE8.

I don't mind the gummies. I think it's a great idea, excellent hold. I will agree that they can be uncomfortable upon first use. It takes a couple weeks to get used to them. It also takes the right tips to have the earphones fit well in the ear and not provide excess pressure at the tip and gummy. I found tip choice really important for comfort and the wrong one certainly makes the RE252 tough to wear for extended periods of time. So far my favorite has been my small Comply T-500 tips I originally bought for my Triple.Fi 10. I typically used the medium size for the Triple.Fi 10, but the small works better with the RE252 for a deeper insertion and minimal pressure between the ear canal and the back section of the gummy. The RE252 nozzle doesn't angle up, so long foam tips can compress in front of the nozzle. A pulled back or shorter tip is more useful as to not block sound.

A bit off topic:
Kostalex, I'll never understand the placement of the OK1. It has long been one of my favorite earphones. It's just that it needs a robust amp and EQing to really shine, and maybe that's why you rank it low. I don't know. Even after using a lot of great earphones (UM3X, SE530, Triple.Fi, IE8, CK10, RE252, K701, G1A) I still really feel the OK1 is rather special and does things better then anything else I've used. I've never heard more realism nor an ability to convey little nuances and variations in sounds. I can certainly see some dislike running without an EQ (considerably bright) and unamped (lacking bass, dynamics, control), but man, it is so, so good. We do have our own measures though, and I know no two people will view every product in the same light.

Apr 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kostalex, I'll never understand the placement of the OK1.

How would you rank it in my chart against other cans?

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #41 of 72
That silicone for custom tips comes in different grades of hardness, measured in "shore". Which grade you (or your audiologist) have chosen? The choice may not only influence fit, but also sound signature.

That "body-colour" tips is about as sexy as your grandma's teeth in a glass.
biggrin.gif
If possible I would chose clear, black or red/blue for right/left.

Regarding the OK1, I suspect it contains the very same drivers as the PK1 (OK/PK 1/2/3 vice versa). So any difference likely is from body only. I think.

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #42 of 72
I can not recall exact hardness. This is the hardest silicon audiologist had. Softer material is more comfortable but sounds worse.

Pink tips are ugly, you are right. But this the best material (I can not recalll its name) - it is hard and sounds excellent. It is not sticky (gummy) but rather shaggy, and it is easy to insert these tips into the ears. It becames softer when warmed up and changes its shape in the ears, so it is more comfortable than silicon. Fortunately, this is a kind of "slow softness", it takes some time to change the shape, so its softness does not affect the sound.

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #43 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you rank it in my chart against other cans?

I know we're getting off topic here. If you want I can shorten this, remove it, or simply go to PMs if we want to chat.

Unfortunately, it gets to a point where personal preference takes a big role. I think it's more of an understanding of how your ranking system rewards and penalizes aspects. As well, I have not really gone into the headphone world of head-fi. I have stayed IEM and bud mostly. My bro has the G1A, G2A, and K701 that I have used at times along side a good number of the earphones I've owned. I have glimpsed at full-sized headphones a little, but I keep reading and thinking I wouldn't be happy without spending serious cash and grabbing a HD800 or something along that caliber. Even the G1A and K701 have not really compelled me to transition from my smaller and more portable companions. It's a shame because I know there's a lot of good full-sized headphones out there.

I am also of the personal opinion that by a certain point, a person starts to step away from raw flaws and incapability and can only compare along personal preference. What I mean by this is that by some point most of these great headphones stop having blaring faults. Instead "better" starts to become a matter of preference. Comparison starts to become more subjective (opinion) then objective (measurable). This kind of makes comparing good products against each other very difficult.

Still I personally try to hold some forms of measures to compare against. I look at things like transparency, blending, dynamic range, linearity of dynamic range, articulation of note, locational cues, appropriate sense of placement and distance, linearity of space, do the sounds come across life-like/real, clarity, detail, ability to not color or hide the source, etc. Some aspects I tend to ignore, if fixable. Frequency response can be fixed, so I typically don't weigh against an earphone that doesn't have a flat response to start with. With the OK1, I find it contains a lot of these measures and does very well in these measures. In many ways it does better then most anything else I've used. Is it perfect? No. But, every time I listen to it and compare it against other products I use, it keeps impressing me time and time again. It is unfortunately an earphone that I do somewhat consider requiring EQing and amping to be used to a great extent. I still use it off a portable player without an amp, but some capability is lost doing so. In my recent slew of IEMs I had the CK10, RE252, and Custom 3 along with my long time OK1 and Triple.Fi. I've had all of these for several weeks. In many ways I can pick one or another as being better in one way or another. In some ways the CK10 best the RE252. In some ways the RE252 best the CK10. The OK1 trades blows with both too. The Custom 3 is a step down, although it's one of the better sound stages I've heard in a long time. I would have a hard time saying any one of the three (RE252, OK1, CK10) has being absolutely better. Heck, I now on a UM3X pair...again, and I would be hard-pressed to define an absolute leader. I sold the UM3X to keep the OK1 a year ago, but I've always loved the UM3X. I can use any one of these 4 and not declare an absolute winner. I can pick category winners, but not a holistically better product. It comes back to the idea of personal preference. To pick an absolute best is to pick favoritism along personal bias. Rank in some ways scale fault. If an earphone does a lot of things wrong, it simply doesn't perform that well overall. Once there is no fault to scale against like that of many of these better earphones, rank starts to become a matter of preference. I could rank earphones like the OK1, CK10, and RE252 on preference, but I can't really rank on fault, at least not to any major degree.

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #44 of 72
popcorn.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #45 of 72
True hifi shops may allow customers to try out full-size headphones, but mailorder via internet and big marts have killed most of them. The big marts have boards or rows of demo headphones all connected in parallel (from portapro to senn hd650) to the same crappy radio station. So there is no chance to assess the fundamental sound signature, even less quality. No in-ears or ear-buds on demo and all earphones are excluded from the mart's usual return policy. After all, mailorder is only two thirds of the marts' price and consumer protection laws require a return policy.

From my side, I tried the best to analyse comparative discriptions (with earphones I own or know myself) on this forum in order to find a good-enough earphone with a good value for money.

That RE0 had rave reviews from day one, even to a degree to suspect a managed campaign. Same with RE252. But when RE0 dropped to $79+10, with some still preferring it over RE252, I took the chance to buy my first universal-fit IEM. I am a quite experienced listener to high-end audio, including headphoes, and I was not disappoeinted by the RE0 which indeed challenge my Sennheiser HD580. Few (!) hours of use improve bass.

So the RE0 is good enough for me, even more for portable/travel use and compressed AAC files. I would not want to spend hundreds of $ to perhaps find a marginally better IEM. In fact I find that I can get used to lower grade hifi rigs without loosing the ability to appreciate better ones when the opportunity is there. Yes, at times it is nice to research forums for novelties and to chat about it, but the time AB-ing rigs is for sure better spend with listening to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back