RE0 or Super Fi 3 STUDIO?
Feb 25, 2011 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

psgarcha92

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, have decided to buy IEMs in a week, upgrading from Creative EP630s, my source is going to be a Sansa Fuze V2, and a FiiO E3.looking at ebay, i see that i can get the Ultimate ears Super Fi 3 studio at 72.95 USD and the Head Direct RE0s at 93USD. What should i go for? the super Fi 3s or the RE0s?

Thanks

Feb 25, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 7
The SuperFi3 is around four years old now and really isn't a major competitor in the mid-range segment anymore. $73 is too much considering it's been selling for ~$40-50 in various incarnations in the US for the past couple of years. Unless you are looking specifically for that slightly dull, mid-forward sound that the SF3 delivers, the RE0 will wipe the floor with them.

On a slight tangent, I hope you realize that neither of these is anywhere near as bass-heavy as the EP630 you're replacing.

Feb 25, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 7
thanks for pointing the bass thing out, but, that is something important to me. i mean, i've selected the RE0s because of the reviews it had. on head-fi here, they have been ranked high.if i have been spoiled for bass by my EP630s (and add to it the Sennheiser HD212pros i am using currently and extensively), would the RE0s suit me at all? with or without an amp?  i can get used to the less bass on RE0s, but is that good enough? and i have Rockbox on my Fuze, so i guess i can equalize them A LOT. would they be suitable for the one who has been spoiled for bass by EP630s and HD212Pros?

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 7
I had EP-630s as my first "decent headphones"- at least I thought at the time- and never fully liked them comparing them to my KSC-75s. Who knows maybe your true calling is also something with less bass. EP-630 not only have a lot of bass but also bad bass. Maybe you should try an iem with more bass than RE0's, warm with quality bass which is controlled and does not bleed into midrange, unlike Ep-630s..  Maybe M2's... I'd read joker's iem round-up like it is bible. :)

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 7
RE0 is way better technically, but some may prefer the sound signature of Super.fi 3 which is fuller and more mid-centric.

Feb 26, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 7
I have EP630, uhp336 (super.fi 3), and RE0, and that was actually my upgrade path.  Uhp336 was particularly difficult to get a good seal.
Trust me, both super.fi3 and RE0 will sound thin coming off of EP630.  You will be craving for more bass, while at the same time learning to appreciate finer things in sound quality.  EQ'ing may not be able to get the amount of bass you want back though.

Word has it that RE-Zero has better bass than RE0, but it also uses an annoying adapter.
Something slightly more mainstream may be a better adjustment: Klipsch s4, Monster Turbine, both of which are occasionally on sale from authorized dealers for around $60.
When in doubt, look at |joker|'s review thread, and find the more bassy phones on his list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back