RE0 or RE1?
Mar 13, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference for me is, RE0 is 90% when unamped and sounds its best when amped, while RE1 is 70% when unamped and must be used with a neutral to bright amp to really show how well it can go. My worry is that maybe many of the RE1 users never really get the chance to amp it properly before deciding it wasn't for them. I always find myself lost in the sound of RE1 and 3MOVE, but never quite the same with RE0 (though I do really like RE0 detail).

I agree totally. The RE0 might sound close to its best with a hotter source (like an iPhone 3G), or with a "starter" amp like a Fiio E5, but the RE1 definitely needs a real amp to approach its potential.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShenaRingo326 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've been considering getting a set of PK1 and RE0/1... would the iBasso T3 be an adequate amp for the RE1's? my sources will be either iPhone 3G -- line out or the Clip+ -- headphone out

for the iPhone setup i'll be using it in a quiet environment.. while the Clip+ will be for gym/travel

thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
T3 should be fine, but do read about the difference b/w them before your final decision.

Also in agreement; if you are using the T3, the RE1 would be my choice, but the RE0 could probably be used without the T3 with the 3G iPhone. If you can afford it, get them both and sell one off or return it within Head-Direct's thirty-day period. Careful though, you may end up keeping them both (they fit nicely in the RE1's case together), one for use with the T3 and one for use without it!

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #18 of 29
Well I did have a decently long listening session with the RE0s. I however still prefer the RE1s any day. The Re0s have really amazing treble (sparkle, extension, detailed, but ZERO sibilance), but for all its plus points (I even felt the bass was adequate when amped) it had a rather narrow soundstage and even positioning was iffy at best.

The RE1 has a really expansive soundstage (when amped) with decent positioning and image separation and it feels weird when all that lovely depth and width collapses when hearing the RE1s.

Now the issue is that the RE1s are very much dependent on the amp used. With my Ibasso P3+ I can roll the OPAMPs to get a different signature and it took me some time to get a combination that truly gels with the RE1. So if you dont like using an amp, the RE1s are just not for you.

I use a pretty powerful portable source in the Amp3. And I have listed with other good sources like the Iphone 2G, Ipod Classic, Sansa Clip/Clip+ & Cowon D2+ and none of the phones could drive the RE1 to its potential. So a good amp is very much necessary to really show what the RE1 can do.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have the RE1, so can't help there. But the RE0 was a true steal when it was $99. Now it is $79 -- that makes it the best $200+ IEM you can get for less than $80. The only reason you wouldn't want the RE0 is if you have convinced yourself you are a bass-head. But you would be missing the chance to hear the music very accurately. After 120+ hours, my RE0 has plenty of bass.

I completely agree with your comments too. For $200 and under, it is pretty hard to trump. Well unless you'd look at picking up a set of used SE530s or IE8s.

Then I guess for $200 brand new or less they are pretty hard to trump is more accurate.
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #20 of 29
i've done some research on RE0 vs RE1.. but i'm a bit overwhelmed with all the sound terms.. perhaps i can get some help with matching music genre to the IEM's??

i listen to about 50% rock/indie (green day, my chemical romance, shiina ringo/tokyo jihen, metric, yeah yeah yeahs....) 30% rap/hip hop and 20% pop/others.. and my music preference is more towards female vocals (unless it's rap/hip hop)

would RE1 be a better fit (compared to RE0) for me because:
- bigger sound stage (rock?)
- more forward mid range (vocals)
- slightly better bass

however i do enjoy guitar solos.. so does that mean RE0 will be better because it's more detailed?

from what i've read from these forums so far.. it seems like PK1 and Grado's are what i would enjoy.. as they've been described as "in your face, sitting in row 1" vs sitting back in row 15 when it comes to listening to rock...

i currently use OK2s and would like to try out earbuds/IEM's with a different sound.. thanks in advance!!

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #21 of 29
EDIT: ShenaRingo326, I think you would enjoy the RE1 with the T3, it needs an amp.

I must say that I like the contrast of going back and forth between these two earphones, they're both great but different enough to compliment each other. The RE0 seems to be getting a little better with some burning time.

Mar 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #22 of 29
I dont listen to Rock much. But the laid back sound of the RE1 does not gel to well with Rock. The RE0 seems to be a better bet with you.

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #23 of 29
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I recently tried the RE0 and was blown away by the detailing they had. Although I felt that the soundstage width wasn't great and it could so with a tiny notch more bass quantity without compromising on the quality (Brainwavz M3 like bass). So would RE1 do the job for me? Im ready to spend on an amp (if its not bulky). I really love all song's from ColdPlay (if that helps to identify my taste) Which amp is recommended with these? [Would appreciate if someone could post a link to the amp so that I get an idea of much do I need to save
redface.gif
]

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #24 of 29
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I recently tried the RE0 and was blown away by the detailing they had. Although I felt that the soundstage width wasn't great and it could so with a tiny notch more bass quantity without compromising on the quality (Brainwavz M3 like bass). So would RE1 do the job for me? Im ready to spend on an amp (if its not bulky). I really love all song's from ColdPlay (if that helps to identify my taste) Which amp is recommended with these? [Would appreciate if someone could post a link to the amp so that I get an idea of much do I need to save
redface.gif
]

Are you really sure that's what you want? First, RE1 and RE0 don't sound alike. You will need a detail and transparent amp to get the most out of RE1 since it is on the darker, smoother side. Second, Getting both RE1 and a decent enough amp (i.e. iBasso T3) might cost more than (or close to) getting a better sounding IEM. In this case, I think Radius DDM is a more suitable choice.

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #25 of 29
Hello!

I have both and my tip is: Take the RE0. He is a kind of ER4 with more fun and works well without amplification and very well when amplified. If you use this headphone with Comply Foam, the highs are perfect, without harshness and bass are slightly more present.

I've never liked RE1, since the first time I heard him. His tone is simply wrong, with nasal and dark sound. And I never got to fix this feature with any amplifier that I have tried. And the soundstage is not these wonders. Looks like a headphone that needs to be amplified by a nuclear plant...

Cheers,

Peter

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #26 of 29

Quote:
Quote:
redface.gif
]

Are you really sure that's what you want? First, RE1 and RE0 don't sound alike. You will need a detail and transparent amp to get the most out of RE1 since it is on the darker, smoother side. Second, Getting both RE1 and a decent enough amp (i.e. iBasso T3) might cost more than (or close to) getting a better sounding IEM. In this case, I think Radius DDM is a more suitable choice.

Yeah, I also dont like the idea of carrying an amp around. Joker's review about the Radius DDM has got me excited - I may find the perfect IEM I've been looking for in them. Also can something like Fuze be enough to power them? Any other IEMs that I could like?

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #27 of 29
Yeah, I also dont like the idea of carrying an amp around. Joker's review about the Radius DDM has got me excited - I may find the perfect IEM I've been looking for in them. Also can something like Fuze be enough to power them? Any other IEMs that I could like?

Fuze can drive DDM just fine. It will provide a good contrast to your RE0. Here is my DDM review, if you are interested.

Dec 13, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #28 of 29
I like the RE1 for sleeping, as they are small enough to almost disappear in my ears so I can lay my head to the side comfortably with them inserted. The DDMs do sound like a step up but I could never sleep in them!

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #29 of 29
Those who like the RE1s should try out the RE262. The RE262s IMO sound similar but the RE262 refines the sound to a different level. Vocals, treble, bass texture (not quantity), resolution, transparency, imaging, soundstage depth (but not width) are all improved with the RE262.Again the RE262 needs an amp to sound its best but unlike the RE1, it not very picky about which amp you use. With my RE1, I have found it to be less than steller with my desktop amp compared to my Ibasso P3+ portable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back