RE0 or RE1?
Nov 23, 2009 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
Jeez, they are the same price.

I have PK3s and think that for portable I will use those most of the time.

I have a REALLY nice receiver with a decent headphone amp. Would the RE1 be a more high end sound than the RE0 in this case? I am trying to get decent sq under $100 (I am saving up for Stax but still need decent tunes for the long process) and think these might be the ticket.

How long is the cable btw?

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 29
Cant comment on the RE0 but from what I have read the RE0 are IEMs that have a more analytical sound with very good treble and decent soundstage. The RE1s are more mid & bass centric with the BEST soundstage I have ever heard in a earphone when amped (I haven't heard too many earphones so add a lot of salt to my statement).

Also the RE1 has a treble that is smooth and does not extend much which makes for a relaxed and slightly laid back sound. So choose based on your sound signature. I love my RE1s but they do not have a very balanced sound like the RE0. The RE1s are great if you want to relax and let the music take over. However they do require an amp.

The cable length is a little over a meter.

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 29
I'm sure most people would say RE0, simply because it is higher in the lineup.

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 29
I don't have the RE1, so can't help there. But the RE0 was a true steal when it was $99. Now it is $79 -- that makes it the best $200+ IEM you can get for less than $80. The only reason you wouldn't want the RE0 is if you have convinced yourself you are a bass-head. But you would be missing the chance to hear the music very accurately. After 120+ hours, my RE0 has plenty of bass.

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 29
Ok then RE0 sounds like the ticket for me. That is cool b/c I can use them for portable sometimes. Thanks. Just need a longer cord. 3ft is tough when you are as tall as I am.

Nov 23, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Just need a longer cord. 3ft is tough when you are as tall as I am.

Wont your amp add some extra length? the FiiO E5 would be particularly good for that...

Nov 23, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 29
I own both. I can't stress enough that these are two very different-sounding headphones. The RE1's have a darker, well-balanced sound but it becomes congested very easily during complex musical passages, so they sound quite good on many tracks but on some, the sound just isn't very coherent. The RE0's are a gigantic step up and are truly a hi-fi IEM... trust me, get those and you'll be blown away by how good the sound quality, and especially the highs are. Even at $200, I consider them a bargain.

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 29
The extension is certainly something I will ask for thanks. I will get a better amp than the E5 though. No hurry as I do not even have a my fuze or LOD yet.

Nov 23, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 29
Hey spaceman, I actually have the RE0 extension cord and never use it. I'd send it to you for like $5 shipped if you want it. Let me know if you do
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #11 of 29
Does anyone know if $79 is foreseeably the new permanent price for RE1 and RE0? Head-direct.com has them both for $79, but Amazon has the RE1 for $169 (RE0 for $79).

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #12 of 29
I own both models and just got my new Arrow amp to confirm my "insanity".

I am somewhat in the minority here @ Head-fi in that I prefer the RE1 to the RE0.

I like everything about it better. The RE0 has decent treble extension without being fatiguing I'll give it that, but the RE1 has everything else (when properly amped, of course) and is not lacking in in the high frequencies either. I have never found the bass on the RE0 that lacking, but the RE1 is much smoother, and has a better soundstage. It sounds more dynamic to my ears, without any loss of detail, or sounding overly "warm". The RE0s are pretty good, but they have a tendency to sound a bit flat can get somewhat congested during complex passages compared the the RE1s. I have directly compared them now with two different amplified lossless portable rigs, and am using the Sony Hybrid tips with both. I even like the cable on the RE1 better, with its memory coiling, and some memory around the ear ends; the case is of course no contest.

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #13 of 29
The difference for me is, RE0 is 90% when unamped and sounds its best when amped, while RE1 is 70% when unamped and must be used with a neutral to bright amp to really show how well it can go. My worry is that maybe many of the RE1 users never really get the chance to amp it properly before deciding it wasn't for them. I always find myself lost in the sound of RE1 and 3MOVE, but never quite the same with RE0 (though I do really like RE0 detail).

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #14 of 29
i've been considering getting a set of PK1 and RE0/1... would the iBasso T3 be an adequate amp for the RE1's? my sources will be either iPhone 3G -- line out or the Clip+ -- headphone out

for the iPhone setup i'll be using it in a quiet environment.. while the Clip+ will be for gym/travel

thanks!

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #15 of 29
T3 should be fine, but do read about the difference b/w them before your final decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back