RE0 - Impressions of a noob + need a little help
Oct 23, 2010 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

showa60

New Head-Fier
Hiiii everybody!

As some will know, I bought a pair not long ago based on stellar reviews and recommendations and have been burning them in all week (I'd say at least 100 hours). I was pretty disappointed with them out of the box, but I was immediately impressed by the detail and highs.

After burn-in, the bass has come out quite a lot, to the point where I can say they don't lack bass with a bit of EQ (techno pumps along nicely, but it doesn't thump). Actually, out of the box I was so disappointed with the bass I EQ'ed the hell out of the low frequencies just to get some thump. Then when I listened to them again after a couple days in a drawer, the bass was waaay too much. So for any RE0 newbies out there, don't dismiss the bass before giving them at least 48 hours burn-in. The bass itself is very detailed too, much better than my Klipsch S4's (my only other pair). This is off my PC though. Out of an ipod classic, even with bass boost, the bass is very light.

I'm finding some music sounds way better than others eg. classical and 80's pop sound excellent while movie and anime OSTs aren't as good (more on that later). Vocals and acoustic songs are excellent too. It seems like more complicated and involved songs don't sound as good (if that makes sense
confused_face.gif
).

I can't really tell whether the microphonics are very bad, but they are noticeably worse than on the S4's. You could say, I didn't really know what microphonics were until I used the RE0's.

Now my problems. Besides bringing out the bass, after burn in the clarity of the highs seems to have lessened. They don't sparkle like they did out of the box. Is this normal? I'm using the smaller bi-flange tips (they give the best fit and bass).

Also, while the detail is great, I'm finding the soundstage pretty disappointing. Compared to the S4's, they sound very narrow. I just don't get the same immersion factor. Also, my movie soundtracks don't sound nearly as 'epic' anymore. At first I thought it was the bass, but there's plenty of that now. The sound doesn't have the same impact/kick/thump/punch (ok, ran out of adjectives). Is this due to a narrower soundstage, or is this just how more neutral analytical phones sound? Is it the tips? (I don't get a good seal with the others, so I can't try them).

The music doesn't sound as 'deep' as the S4's, if that's the right term. I don't get the same depth and instrument separation.

Is there anything I can do to make up for the shortcomings? I've since ordered different tips (Shure olives and Sony hybrids) and I've bought an ibasso T3 on the FS forum (thanks Nanashi
biggrin.gif
). Will these make my music epic again?

As you can see, I'm not giving up on these just yet. Overall, I'd say these aren't 'fun' sounding, coming from my S4's (which are great casual phones), but I know if I keep listening to them I'll get addicted to the detail. I only wish they had a wider soundstage, and maybe a little more bass kick. I paid $150 for my S4's, and only $90 for the RE0's. For the price, I can see why they're so highly regarded, though I also have a pair of Panasonic HJE900's on the way (also $79) so I can make a another noobs comparison if wanted.

Thanks for reading my rambling,

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 28, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 4
Wow, no comments. Too long? Basically I just want to know if the soundstage and depth can be improved on the RE0 with tips and/or an amp as I find them lacking.

In other news, I just got my Pana HJE900's today as well, and they are AWESOME!!! So happy with them, plus they look cool too
tongue_smile.gif
Bass isn't as strong as the Klipsch S4, but it's more detailed, and much stronger than the RE0's.Soundstage is a good amount better, but for some reason, I still think the S4's have the best immersion, but I still can't put my finger on why.

Oct 28, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 4
Narrow soundstage is quite typical to neutral sounding IEM. For RE0, I use the big bi-flanges mostly for better soundstage and amping to bring out the bass. EQ on a good source is another option.

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 4
I gotta say, amping improves these A LOT. I'm quite impressed with them combined with a T3. Really the only little thing wrong with them now is the soundstage, but if it's typical I guess that explains it.

I tried using the big biflanges, but they just won't stay in. I thought I had massive ear holes, but apparently not
tongue.gif

Another thing I'm noticing with both these and the RE0's is that I'm not getting that intimate closed in immersive feeling to the music that I got with the S4's. I have a feeling it's the tips, because I have to use bi-flanges with both iems that I never used with the S4's. Mostly because the sound ports (not sure what they're called) on these two iems are massive in comparison, and they just won't fit in my ears the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back