RE0 and kpop?
Sep 17, 2010 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

buntwo

New Head-Fier
Hi I am looking for a new iem at the moment, I just returned my Klipsch S4's because they were too harsh in the treble (eg fatiguing) for me even after burn in. Having done lots of research here, I've narrowed my choices to either the RE0 or the HJE900 (though I am still up for reconsideration if need be, I'm a fickle person
tongue_smile.gif
), leaning toward RE0. I really like clarity and detail in music, especially in the treble, that's why I'm leaning toward the RE0's. I would like an opinion on someone who's used the RE0's and listens to kpop music, since I'm a big fan of that genre and listen to a lot of it (snsd to be precise). How do the RE0's perform with kpop music? Thanks!

Sep 17, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 16
I haven't listened to any kpop, but if J-Pop and Cantopop are similar, they would probably work well for you. I listen to both of these genres of music a lot and the RE0 seems to be a good match for them, just not the rest of my music sometimes. I basically hated them until I started using the double flange tips. Even then I'm still not impressed with them, but they do have lots of detail. Of course I prefer my Triple Fi 10 but those cost 3 times as much. Some people may disagree with me 100% but often I feel the RE0 can sound a bit tinny and not always that accurate with some instruments. Overall I felt like they were worth $50, maybe $75 max.

Unfortunately Comply Foam doesn't work well with them and makes them sound worse. I think foam is the only way I can tolerate an IEM.

Sep 17, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 16
I think that the RE0's are an okay match for that kind of music, but the recessed mids might not work so well with the sweet tones of the singers - generally I've found that asian pop doesn't bury the voice in as many studio effects as western music, and the preferred sound is generally very smooth sounding male and female vocalists. Something like the Etymotic HF5, the PL50 or the RE252 (or upcoming 262) might give you sweeter, more liquid vocals... though that will cost more.

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 16
Recessed mids on the RE0? Guess I must have a different pair then you. Never experienced this yet, so I can't agree, but that's OK.

Sep 18, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 16
RE-ZEROS beat the RE0s on vocals IMO.
I wont use the word recessed, but i find the ZEROs are more smoother and more forward in the mids which are really nice for vocals.
In comparison to the ZEROs i felt the Re0s sounded dryer in the mids and the ZEROs more fluid.
The RE0s are a little more aggressive in the highs and extend a bit further.
the ZEROs are still crisp in the highs, but less aggressive.
Having said that i had my RE0s for 8 months and loved them.
I just loved the ZEROs a little more
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 16
The thing is that when you compare the RE-0's to the RE252's or (apparently, because I haven't heard them) the RE-Zeros, there isn't that fullness of vocals. They can come off slightly thin, meaning that a bit of the mid energy, in particular with male vocals, is recessed in comparison with the rest of the signature.

It defintely goes away with an amp, the right kind of tip, or foam modding though.

Sep 18, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #7 of 16
Thanks for the comments, guys! Will burning in have a big effect on the mids, or does the foam mod impact the mids a lot too?

I guess I really like listening to little details in songs, whether they be classical, pop, or hip hop, that's why I think the re0 should be good. The ZERO is out of my budget...otherwise I'd buy it
darthsmile.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 16
I remember using the RE0 for similar genres when I had it and I enjoyed it but the RE0 also suits my preferences which matters more than genre imo. I didn't notice much of a change with burn in but I only listened to it for around 5 minutes before putting them on play for burn in for a couple days.

Sep 18, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 16
The RE-0s are great all-rounders imo. They would particularly excel with ballad-type music, but with highly produced electronic styles they might be less appealing. They are lacking the bass oomph that you'd want for dance tracks, and might be a bit too revealing of the "hot" mastering that plagues some of kpop as with american pop.

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
The RE-0s are great all-rounders imo. They would particularly excel with ballad-type music, but with highly produced electronic styles they might be less appealing. They are lacking the bass oomph that you'd want for dance tracks, and might be a bit too revealing of the "hot" mastering that plagues some of kpop as with american pop.

What do you mean by "hot" mastering?

Sep 18, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
What do you mean by "hot" mastering?

for your reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

basically, excessive dynamic range compression to make everything seem louder, resulting in clipping.

Most recent kpop suffers from this... snsd's oh!, t-ara's crazy because of you, come to mind as most blatant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back