RE0 and amps?
Feb 11, 2011 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

psgarcha92

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys
i have been planning to buy new IEMs for my sansa fuze v2.
i have selected Head Direct RE0, which according to the specs have a 64Ohm impedance.
would i need an amp to drive these?
if not, what are some alternatives? i liked the RE0s, because atleast on the this forum (head-fi) they have been ranked first (i really hope the RE0s have been ranked first and not the RE-Zero, please do clarify), and i liked the Ultimate Ears Superfi 3 too.my budget is tight (90USD shipping incuded, as i live in india). please suggest, and clarify if an amplifier is necessary for driving the RE-0s

Please note, i do have a Cmoy which i built myself. i dont know if it is upto standards in sound quality. and i am already using Sennheiser HD212 Pros, Have used Creative EP630s, and the setup runs on Sansa Fuze V2.

Thanks

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 10
From what I have read, the RE-0 usually needs an amplifier to unlock it's potential.

Having owned the RE-ZERO, I can say that it did not need an amplifier with my HTC HD2 mobile phone. I tested the RE-ZERO with and without the Fiio E5 portable amp.

As per |joker|'s thread with a lot of IEM reviews the differences in audio quality, given that both earphones are fully powered, should be minimal but the RE-0's are harder to drive and general opinion from my reading suggests that the RE-0 needs an amp. I cannot speak specifically for your Sansa Fuse v2.

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 10
thanks for the quick reply...
smile.gif

but would the RE0s sound nice with a Home Made CMoy? its the simple one, based on an OPA2132PA.

anyone??? none had any experiances with the Fuze V2 and RE0s unamped? and RE0s Cmoyed (Home made)?

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 10
RE0 likes a warmish amp. Depending on your opamp used in your CMoy it might be a very good team.
If you remove the foam from your RE0, it can sound a bit sibilant, some amps remove the sibilance. Removing the foam is supposed to balance out the mids, they can sound slightly recessed. I haven't tried them with the foam and removed the foam from day 1.

Feb 11, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 10

I have both the REO and REO-ZERO and both sound good straight out of my iPhone 4 and the Sansa Fuze (which I no longer have) but when I use my iPhone>LOD> Headstage Arrow 2>REO or REO ZERO they do open up.  I agree with ElcomeSoft the REO’s improve a little bit but the ZERO's, which can be used without the adapter, balanced, then the improvement is not only enough to justify carrying around the amp but hard to listen to without. 

Feb 11, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 10
Seriously, you don't need an amp for the RE0. It's fine right out of any player and I've run it out of my clip+, not the most powerful beast. An amp that emphasizes low frequencies may be to your liking because the RE0 is a cool, very detailed 'phone, but it's not necessary.

(I have tried it with both a PA2V2 and the Headsix, in the interest of full disclosure.)

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 10
i just wonder why the model names are made so similar. i asked for a head-direct RE0 from the shop, and got a hifiman RE-zero. only after the purchase did i realise there is a difference (though it seem both are from the same company). seemingly, RE0 is 64 ohm impedence and RE-zero is 16 ohm, as stated from their website specifications, and RE-zero is balanced. 

my ipad is too big, so i intend to buy a sansa clip to go with the RE-zero. headstage and pico slim are rather hefty investments. i'm looking at corda xxs or ibasso t3d as amplifier with project beta pba-sup interconnect, which are closer to my budget. i wonder what will be your recommendations.

and from what i read from their website, http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=89#, if i do not use the TRS adapter, i will get sound only from a single channel, so i have to use the adapter, isn't that right?

Quote:

I have both the REO and REO-ZERO and both sound good straight out of my iPhone 4 and the Sansa Fuze (which I no longer have) but when I use my iPhone>LOD> Headstage Arrow 2>REO or REO ZERO they do open up.  I agree with ElcomeSoft the REO’s improve a little bit but the ZERO's, which can be used without the adapter, balanced, then the improvement is not only enough to justify carrying around the amp but hard to listen to without. 

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #9 of 10
Amp for RE0 is recommended :wink: I have built myself a MINI3 for the purpose and I can tell you that RE0 showed an improvement (huge) in vertical sphere, also localization got much better and so the soundstage did. If you're planning to buy HEADSTAGE ARROW or build some DIY amp, you should try to use LOD cable to get the best from FUZE, but that is another chapter :)

But RE0 behaves well also without an amp with FUZE V2. Depends if you want portability or audition.

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Look, the CMoy will be fine for the RE0 -- you can try the RE0 with or without it -- but I'm pretty sure you will see that even a little CMoy will make the RE0 sound better, fuller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back