Re-cabling my HD-555 and adding a mini plug
Sep 6, 2010 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jschristian44

Member of the Trade: Justin's Headphone Modding
CAUTION: Incomplete trades
So I am getting a brand new pair of Sennheiser HD-555.  I want to recable them with Silver Teflon wire and add my Zalman mic in-line with that somehow.  I have the wiring auction that I need, but I need help finding the 1/8" miniplug for the end of the wire.  I also need a place to get the wire sleeving, I think 1/4" will work just fine for both wires.  Also, I need a few heat shrink wraps if you could give me a place.  Anyways, I am fairly new to wiring, but I do have a soldering iron and some solder and want to try this mod out.  There is a good picture write-up on it, but that is all, just pictures.  I need to know how to solder the ends to the plug and what wires go where in the ear cup, etc etc.  Can someone help me out, here are the links:

http://www.overclock.net/hi-fi-gear/517211-recabled-my-hd-555-a.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230504272943&_trksid=p2759.l1259

so all i need now is links to get the 1/8" mini plug for the end, some 1/4" black sleeve wiring (10 feet), and information on how to solder the wires to the mini plug and into the ear cup.  after that, i can just use the sleeving and melt the heat shrink wraps at the ends, that is no problem.  if anyone could help it'd be awesome!

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 6
Do a search on DIY cables
I recommend you practice with some Neutriks and some other cheap wire before recabling your headphone.

Use this plug for your headphones.  Use this for practice.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 6
There are various sources.  eBay, Percy Audio, markertek, redco, and the list goes on.  I've gotten most of my stuff from eBay, markertek has some real good prices and a variety of parts and supplies, too.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 6
markettek is the best ever.  the cable sleeving, head shrinks, and mini plug all for under 15 dollars shipped.  now i need to decide whether i want to do a rewire or not.  it doesnt look that hard, just solder 2 wires inside the earcup and 4 wires at the end plug.  my question now is, i know there is 4 wires inside the regular plug, and i know which one needs to be where on the end of the plug, but how comes i only see 2 wires going into the headset itself?  is this just the left and right, and the ground just gets cutoff at the end somewhere?  how much better sounding will they be with silver teflon wire, is it even worth it?  some people say yes, others say no.  just wish there was a semidecent guide on how to do this.  some guy had pictures, but no wording whatsoever on how he soldered them.  kind of pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back