Razer Carcharias headset: a headfi-ers impressions
Sep 20, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #16 of 28
Sep 20, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #17 of 28
Well i'm impressed. I always thought it was a low quality headset. 

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #18 of 28
Well.. then there is also Sennheiser PC-360. Basically its Sennheiser 595/598 with boom mic. Soundstage and SQ are best what I have heard for gaming and still good enough for music listening. Razer Carcharias was one choice for me too but heard that Sennheiser is way more better. Razer is much cheaper though.

For me headset > headphone for practicality. Well.. Im heavy user of teamspeak and ventrilo so boom mic is must.

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #19 of 28
You didn't mention how well they synergized with CMSS-3D Headphone or Dolby Headphone, though. Chances are anyone who's going to buy a headset like this is a gamer, and they'll be looking to use binaural surround techs like those for the sake of situational awareness and immersion.

(For that matter, Razer's own Megalodon is supposedly the Carcharias hard-wired to a USB DAC/DSP that provides the binaural surround effect. Makes me wonder why Razer doesn't just make the USB DAC/DSPs compatible with any old 3.5mm TRS headphone/headset.)

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #20 of 28
they work good with dolby headphone and x-fi's tech. i have a modded x-fi and a xonar. i'm also  a gamer, so if a headphone doesnt do well with these technologes they are out. 

as for the fischer headset, fischer copies or leases designs, so it might look the same but not sound the same. i have had a few fischer headphones, and they have all been great so far

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #21 of 28

Quote:
they work good with dolby headphone and x-fi's tech. i have a modded x-fi and a xonar. i'm also  a gamer, so if a headphone doesnt do well with these technologes they are out.

Good to hear. So every single headphone in your sig works well for gaming? Even the Stax SR-5? (I cite that one specifically because I don't know how well the pre-Lambda models stack up to the SR-Lambda onward. All I can say is that the Lambda is a great gaming/music all-rounder, if possibly overkill for gaming.)

Come to think of it, you have enough headphones to where you could really add to the Mad Lust Envy thread (if you haven't already), or even make your own.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #22 of 28
lol- i've been through many-possibly 100's-of headphones. most in my sig i have had for a while and like. 

as for the sr-5- it does work for gaming, has a ton of detail, but not much bass. soundstage is large. probably not an all-rounder but nice for those of us that like interesting vintage cans

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #23 of 28
I have a pair of these as well :) I'm pretty satisfied with the sound quality on these, and the mic works pretty darn well. I hate it when I'm chatting with my friends on skype and they're using some low quality mic that has a TON of background noise. I tell them to just buy the Carcharias already LOL. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #24 of 28
I had a pair of these before I got my D2000s. When I re-listened to them before I sold them I was pretty impressed! The bass wasnt to bad either.

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #25 of 28
For the price is pretty damn good.

A review:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/peripherals/2011/01/21/razer-carcharias-review/1

Another one:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1048/pg1/razer-carcharias-gaming-headset-review-introduction.html

Oct 2, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #26 of 28
A good friend of mine has one, and when A/ B'ed with my Sennheiser HD650s using an Audinst HUD-mx1, the two of us found that while the Razer had quite a bit less soundstage and not quite as much clarity and texture, it was most definitely a good price for the performance it offered in comparison.  In terms of sound, it was a bit more forward and nowhere near as veiled as the HD650s.  If the song in question was of medium-bitrate .mp3 and/ or a solo instrument, they were actually fairly difficult to distinguish off of the Audinst other than the aforementioned lack of comparitive clarity.  Of course, this was with both headphones being driven at the same time, so I will post impressions again with us using the Woo Audio WA6-SE I just ordered.

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #27 of 28
Stupid internet explorer 8. It's buggy just about everywhere and it seems like it can't do nothing right... I can't reply to people on YouTube and I often loose comments like that... fortunately I was able to take a screen shot of this one when it froze :

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #28 of 28
Cacharias: I would like to add my two cents to this headset. I have been using it for a year now. I would say soundwise I differ a bit from the above opinion. Its pretty bassy. Normal game volume is ok but then on explosions or sniper firing my head wants to fall off. I need to turn it down after a while, impacting locating enemies and other details. I would say its sound signature is very laid back. While never harsh or grating in any way, its also just not very fast. All in all its a better that average sound quality, but really nothing to write home about. Nowhere near my (hate on headsets all you want but good engineering works) mmx300. Even my Sennheiser PX 100 II are better. Not as much bass of course, but cleaner bass.

The mic recording quality is on par with: Others hear what words I am saying, but that is about it.

I'm no believer in breaking in headphones, I admit this. But... My first impression was when I got them that they sound muffled and veiled very much. I came to the Razers from using AKG closed k518's with a velcro mic mod for gaming.

After half a year they sounded pretty good. After a week with the new Beyers I retried the Razer and it sounds... ok. Very strange things going on here. :)

I did always have deal breaker problems with it, as stated in the cons.

Pro: Comfort is very good. No pressure and soft clamping. Cord is great. It looks very nice.

Cons:

- Adjusts itself all 20 minutes so I need to push back up the cans so they again fit my ears. Very annoying. Gravity owns these headphones.

- Sound bleeds into the mic like crazy, beginning at much lower than average game volume. And I mean low volume, as in I can hear my own gun but thats about it. Footsteps? Not hearable. Constantly people on teamspeak are telling me I am echoing like crazy. I do a lot of shoutcasting and there its a total deal breaker, but I just turn the sound so low it doesn't happen. But at every beginning of the shoutcasts my co host always tells me I'm echoing.

Personal con: Open headphones don't work for me, I thought they would but when my SO is watching tv, talking on the phone it all distracts me. (edit: in gaming)

Summary: worth 50 dollars tops is my personal opinion, and one would still be paying for mostly the design.. My 5 dollar cheapo headset in the office has a better case isolated mic. I am keeping it instead of selling it because it looks pretty neat for the office. But this isn't a final descision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back