Razer Carcharias headset: a headfi-ers impressions
Oct 28, 2009 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

ourfpshero

Headphoneus Supremus
just got a razer carcharias headset (ebay of course). i have a ton of real headphones and several headsets. i almost always use my headphones with a zalman mic unless its clan match/scrim time. then i need a good boom mic that is picking me up loud and clear (without picking up what my family is doing in the next room). so i have always been on the lookout for a good headset.
the headsets i use:
sennheiser pc350 modded
plantronics gamecom
steelsound 4h

so on to the razer- very nice box designed for store shelves! the headset itself seems well constructed, has velour earpads, cloth headband cushion, braided cable. i have read a few complaints about fragile cords
fit is circumaural (unless u have huge ears), little clamping pressure, and lightweight. very comfy, and no problems with extended use
so far so good.

the mic: on a non adjustable boom. works decent if not great. using the teamspeak test feature- my voice comes through clear. the steelsound is slightly better, the senn better still. the plantronics about the same.

the sound:
here's where it counts! sound is actually very nice for a headset. warm mids and highs, decent bass. sound is like a slightly bassy lower end audio technica. even kind of akg-k240-ish. details are present and works ok with music. probably the most musical headset i have heard. the senn (when stock) is harsh, the steelsound mechanical/cold, and the plantronics mid-bassy.

conclusion:
my fave stock headset for the moment. (the modded senn sound bigger and better but also costs 2x as much). these go for $70-80 retail and for that price they are ok. on ebay they go for $60, open box for 40-50 (got mine for $32 shipped
smily_headphones1.gif
)
if u get one for $50 or less its actually a very nice open air headphone

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 28
after spending some hours with this: this mids are actually pleasant- not harsh like many cheap open air headphones. i have also had no problems being understood with the mic.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible that it's actually an AKG design?

i doubt it. the headphone design is the same as many other headphones. the drivers are a gray mylar, which is also very common.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozenGecko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FOR GOD SAKES!!! BUY THE 30$ USB DESKTOP LOGITECH MIC!! STOP WITH THE HEADSET NON-SENSE!!!!!!!

lol. look at my sig. i am a headphone believer. however, i sometimes need an honest-to-god noise cancelling unidirectional boom mic.
NOT an omnidirectional, pick up every key tap and person in the house desk-or-clip-on mic. yes i have a zalman mic, and yes i have a logitech desk mic.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 28
There really is no reason why there shouldn't be decent headsets. Nice to see one get a decent review for a change.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 28
Oct 30, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, there is [showUID]=2109&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=2028&cHash=cd1211973d]this one, which is basically a pair of DT770s with a high quality mic, but it's pretty expensive for what it is.

i havent heard that one- and the price will keep me away unfortunately.

why cant a company like jvc take a headphone like the 34$ rx700 and put a boom mic on it and sell it for 50$?

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i havent heard that one- and the price will keep me away unfortunately.

why cant a company like jvc take a headphone like the 34$ rx700 and put a boom mic on it and sell it for 50$?

I think it's an issue where consumers are led to believe that 5.1/7.1 headsets = the best. I've had a couple buddies asking for advice about headsets, and all they've been researching about are such cans, and no regular headphones.

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 28
haha. when i was gaming more, i started my search looking for 50$ gaming headsets. for some reason... im ending up with HD650s and listening to music instead of gaming. thats what head-fi did for me. $50 to 330$ + amps + source upgrade later. :|

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 28
Don't need no damn mics...............a FPS man, using X-Deep Darths w/600ohm drivers.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #15 of 28
for comparison- i just got a beyer mmx2.
and
the razer is still better. deeper bass, larger stage, warmer mids, more comfortable. the beyer has more upfront highs and hi-mids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back