Rate the video games you're currently playing
Mar 3, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #421 of 6,936
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the multi-platform era....

I knew a time like this would show up...

Yes, it sucks... I have played FEAR2 now, and while game is good and story excellent (itching to see where this leads), the game reeked so console that it makes me sick. And none of the stuff that fans were complaining about all the time was fixed, NONE! And the new cover system that replaced leaning sucked arse. I didnt use it anywhere, plus there were only couple of places where I could use it in the first place! Quoting Angry Video Game nerd: What were they thinking!!!?

AI was surprisingly good at the times though.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #422 of 6,936
GTR Evolution Racing Sim on PC, using Logitech G25 wheel, six-speed gated shifter and full pedal set: 8/10.

In my opinion, this is as good as racing sims get without jumping to an entirely different level and spending thousands on commercial sims and hardware. The driving dynamics are excellent, and the sim accurately rewards smooth and "correct" driving, and punishes poor driving. There are options to tweak just about everything, so less hardcore drivers/sim racers can jump into the game and have fun, while those of us going for a more realistic (less arcade-y) experience can do that as well.

The tracks are very well done, and very accurate (they were created with GPS and CAD data, and are about as good as it gets). Track choice is also pretty good, and the game includes such excellent tracks as Macau and the Nordschleife configuration of the Nurburgring, for example, but there are some favorites of mine that are not included (Bathurst comes immediately to mind).

Car choice is not bad either. WTCC, Formula 3000, Caterham series, GTP, GT Sport, GT Club, manufacturer-specific classes (Audi R8, Koenigsegg CCx, Gumpert Apollo, Dodge Viper, etc.) as well as a few others.

Sound is very good. Not much else to say about that.
smily_headphones1.gif

The feedback effects through the wheel are the best I have encountered in any racing game/sim. Not only can you feel any impact, or curb surface, but you can easily feel when you're losing grip, can feel the car go light from sudden elevation changes, etc. It's very well done.

I'd go so far as to say this is one of a very few "popular" sims that can be used to improve your actual driving (iRacing, rFactor, GT2 are some others), and can definitely complement (but not replace) your (real-life) time at the track. (And, of course it's much cheaper than track time.)

I recommend it.

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #425 of 6,936
Left 4 Dead = 9/10, if you have good teammates online (which is rare, most players are idiots it seems)

Fallout 3 = 3/10 on a bad day, 9.5/10 on a good day, very fun when you're into it, but if you're in the right mood for it, its easy to nitpick it to shambles

Oblivion = 9.3/10, exceptional game, amazing replay, this is coming from a 1000+ hrs player

C&C Yuri's Revenge = 8.9/10, amazing for the age, decent story arcs, good single player non-campaign gameplay, AI is a bit simplistic

Tom Clancy GRAW2 = 8.5/10, quite involved, very detailed, very finished feeling, requires attention and careful involvement, so you can't casually play and do very well

Evil Genius = 7.9/10, amazingly original idea, marvelous moments, but very "drab" when you aren't exactly "on target" (which is hard to do overall)

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #426 of 6,936
Finished Fallout 3: 8.5/10.

Because of the annoying ending (credits roll by and you can't keep living and training in the world
frown.gif
and the somewhat weak (IMO) storyline.

But I love the way you can do ANYTHING and kill almost anyone and the story will just keep going. And the violence is cool too
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #427 of 6,936
Halo 3: 8/10 Compared to Halo 2 there are just too many weapons and too intricate of maps. Maps like Lockout were the best on Halo 2 and with Halo 3 they ruined it by adding a bunch of fluff(Blackout)...Anyway, I have played this game for about 2000 games and I am liking it less and less....I could play Halo 2 all night and be ready to play again over and over.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #428 of 6,936
Street Fighter 4: 7/10 Very fun and extremely difficult arcade mod, though I felt as if they could have updated it more then they have.

Dead Space: 9/10 Very, very scary in a darkned room and big screen, one of the most immersive games i've played in years.

Far Cry 2: 10/10 I have finished this twice on the second and third hardest difficulties, know to finish it playing in the hardest mode.

Dark Sector: 6/10 Despite its incredibly weak story the gamplay is good enough to justify playing this game (though to many times they rely more on having large numbers of enemies rather then enemies that are hard to defeat).

Left 4 Dead: 8.5/10 Zombie apocalypse, online, play as infected, count me in.

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #430 of 6,936
The Orange Box: 3.9/5 (All I play is Team Fortress 2
biggrin.gif
, Portal is decent too.)

Call of Duty 4: 4.5/5 (The whole reason I got XBL)

Call of Duty 5: 3.7/5 (Wayy inferior to any other game... Sorry Zombies)

Saints Row: 4/5 (My sister plays this more than I do... She loves doing hostages, while I beat the game)

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #432 of 6,936
Quote:

Saints Row: 4/5 (My sister plays this more than I do... She loves doing hostages, while I beat the game)

She loves doing hostages. I think i'm reading what you actually mean wrongly.

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #433 of 6,936
Counter Strike 1.6 (11/10)

Hit us up #teamd5 for a scrim all you old school CS 1.6 players. At least I know you don't wall you just have godly headsets...

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #434 of 6,936
bit eratic with gaming atm (swapping between games way too much because I am generally unhappy with the quality of products being released)...
l4d - 5.3/10. Bad community, lots of bugs, plays like a mod. Currently uninstalling
FO3 - 5.6/10. It's like oblivion, except it sucks even harder (would have prefered a morrowind mod...)
DoW2- 6.4/10. An alright game, needs better multiplayer support and should get the ***** off steam. No where near as nice as TA or SC. Belongs with WC3 in "if i have nothing else to play"
SF4 - 6.0/10. Fun but poorly balanced and relatively poor community. Shallow fighting game, esp for 09.
VF4evo - 8.4/10. Best fighting game in the last decade. Gameplay is amazingly fluid and input is accurate. Great depth
UT2k4 - 8.7/10. Best duelling FPS I have played (second best would be a heavily modded quake 3). Gameplay is perfect.
Worms Armageddon - 8.0. Some great schemes have cropped up since 97. The community is on the way down in terms of quality but not numbers- but if you know the rigth people and play the right schemes its damned addictive...
NFS Undercover - 2/10. So terrifically awful that it is awfully terrifc... it's almost a joke. Get one or two nerdy friends over and its a great laugh because of just how plainly awful it is.
If i was to let online experience and enjoyment get in the way of ratings...
FO3 - 1/5
l4d - 1/10
DoW2 - 2/5
SF4 - 5/10
VF4evo - 9/10
UT2k4 - 9/10
Worms - 10/10.

[size=xx-small]The gaming industry has gotten so amazingly awful...[/size]

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #435 of 6,936
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
She loves doing hostages. I think i'm reading what you actually mean wrongly.

...or she really has one crazy sis...
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back