Rate the video games you're currently playing
Mar 14, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #5,776 of 6,930
Horizon: Zero Dawn 8/10

I just finish playing it. Took me 57 hours to do everything. It was quite a fun ride. I really like what they did with the story and how they manage to explain the robots and the world. That was entertaining. The world looked beautiful with lots of details. Only the characters especially when talking looked pretty bad. Nothing compared to Witcher 3 or Uncharted 4. Combat was fun but the lack of targeting made it more difficult than it should have been. The game is very stealthy at first but transforms in more strategic encounters afterward. I have to say coming out of Ni-Oh this was pretty relaxing. 

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #5,777 of 6,930
After playing Diablo 3 a bit more, I have one or two more things to say about it.

Although I thought £20 for D3 and expansion Reaper of Souls, to be expensive, I am glad I bought it. I tried the demo and soon bough the game, and it got me gaming again with enthusiasm. Whereas I has sort of been looking at my Steam library and thinking, I didn't really want to play. I have The Witcher 3 Season Pass waiting to play and I loved TW3 base game. However I just wasn't taking the initiative and stating to play. I had been like this for quite a while. Just trying the demo and buying the game got me going again.  

Also I do like Diablo 3 quite a lot. It does have a charm as well as being fun in the battling. The Dungeon Siege series used to be my favourite type of game like that and DS1 and DS2 were very charming games. Diablo 3 does it though. I would recommend it now, knowing better than when I mentioned it a few posts back. (I have just been through a pretty boring looking area though. All kind of brown looking near end of Act 3.)

I even picked up and started playing Dungeon Siege 3 again, while I was playing Diablo3. That is how much D3 got me gaming again. However Dungeon Siege 3 has a bad point in it which I just reached. It's the boss fight with Rajani. I am using the Angali character with Lucas as AI companion. Rajani is just too overpowered for the Anjali character, and I have been getting angry with it. ........I am not just moaning either. This is my third play of DS3 and I have had enough of that fight. I have put at least an hour into it again. The enemy Rajani has too many, and too powerful attacks. While the character Anjali which I play, has no really attack on Rajani. It means struggling for ages and ages only to die and start all over again. I really feel it's a game-breaker. I even turned down difficulty and find this fight too hard. I just have no attack and no defence.

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #5,778 of 6,930
Just ordered scholar of the first sin from amazon. coz i needed the dark souls fix that bloodborne didn't give me!

If you have a PS4 get NIOH. Very Dark Souls-ish with a decidely fast Ninja Gai-Den flavor. Top notch. If you told me a new/different director at FROM made it and stuck dark souls 4 on the cover I would totally have believed it. Very Nuanced and fun and uber polished.

FAIR WARNING - the opening 'scene" London Tower is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay different than the actual game - just an amuse bouche. play it then the tutorial then the game starts

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #5,779 of 6,930
Earlier I was saying how I thought I would not go anywhere near RE7. Folks were saying it's a proper game, sort of comments.

Well I just tried the Resident Evil 7 Teaser: Beginning Hour. Scared me badly. Actually wanted to stop playing quite a few times because it was scary. That was even though the whole thing only took me twenty minutes to do.

It's like a proper horror first person. Like I thought RE games were, but none of the ones I tried really were. However it was literally only the very start. I have no idea of things like weapon mechanincs, etc. Or if it continues to intrigue and scare.

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #5,780 of 6,930
  Earlier I was saying how I thought I would not go anywhere near RE7. Folks were saying it's a proper game, sort of comments.

Well I just tried the Resident Evil 7 Teaser: Beginning Hour. Scared me badly. Actually wanted to stop playing quite a few times because it was scary. That was even though the whole thing only took me twenty minutes to do.

It's like a proper horror first person. Like I thought RE games were, but none of the ones I tried really were. However it was literally only the very start. I have no idea of things like weapon mechanincs, etc. Or if it continues to intrigue and scare.

The game certainly becomes more "Resident Evil-y" in the latter third, but it's not a bad thing IMO.

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #5,781 of 6,930
Borderlands 2: Just got this game and so far it's amazing. I don't know why I waited so long. The textures and art style are so unique. Rating: 8.5/10

CSGO: I know, very unoriginal choice but it really is a great game. Has a few problems and the community isn't always the best, but I've played more CSGO than any other game in my collection. I think it works out to be less than a cent an hour for the amount I've gotten out of it. 9/10

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #5,783 of 6,930
  Borderlands 2: Just got this game and so far it's amazing. I don't know why I waited so long. The textures and art style are so unique. Rating: 8.5/10

CSGO: I know, very unoriginal choice but it really is a great game. Has a few problems and the community isn't always the best, but I've played more CSGO than any other game in my collection. I think it works out to be less than a cent an hour for the amount I've gotten out of it. 9/10

BL2 multiplayer is some of the most fun I've ever had in a game.

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #5,784 of 6,930
Boarderlands 2 is the only game my girlfriend will play with me. A lot of fun co-op. Also the DLC is good as well. I normally play the base game and then I am done but this may be the only game I can say the extra price for the DLC is worth it. Mainly Tiny Tinas fantasy DLC which had me and some friends rolling laughing at some points.

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #5,785 of 6,930
Boarderlands 2 is the only game my girlfriend will play with me. A lot of fun co-op. Also the DLC is good as well. I normally play the base game and then I am done but this may be the only game I can say the extra price for the DLC is worth it. Mainly Tiny Tinas fantasy DLC which had me and some friends rolling laughing at some points.

We never beat Tina's DLC, because we tried it on Ultimate Vault Hunter mode and the enemies were BRUTALLY difficult. XD

Also, for serious, four Mechromancers is like the most badass thing ever.

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #5,788 of 6,930
I finished Diablo 3 and overall liked it for sure, but am struggling for motivation to do the DLC now.

I also started Alan Wake with all DLC bought in content pack. Really struggling. One minute loving it, next swearing at it. You have to alter your technique constantly. Like drop a flare to stall enemies and then run past. Basically because there is not enough ammo. Or redo parts because you die on the last bullet. Or die trying to run away, but your character has barely any stamina. Or be faced with an enemy and the shotgun suddenly takes ages between shots. Or you reload lots of times but still find your six-shooter empty when enemies arrive. .....Such a shame because otherwise I feel drawn in.

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #5,789 of 6,930
Mass Effect Andromeda

I've currently played about 40 hours and I'm starting to like the game more after a bit of a rocky start. There's definitely issues with the game that need fixing like Crossfire not working and the save system, but nothing so far has prevented me from enjoying the game. The animation issue that everyone seems to be moaning about is in my opinion being blown way out of proportion.

8.5/10

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #5,790 of 6,930
  Mass Effect Andromeda

I've currently played about 40 hours and I'm starting to like the game more after a bit of a rocky start. There's definitely issues with the game that need fixing like Crossfire not working and the save system, but nothing so far has prevented me from enjoying the game. The animation issue that everyone seems to be moaning about is in my opinion being blown way out of proportion.

8.5/10

I'm a few hours in but I agree, I will wait for more patching before I keep playing.  It is hilarious how animations are blown out of proportion with this game.  To these people, animations are the biggest contributing factor to graphics (when it is one of the smallest in reality), and facial animation is the biggest contributing factor to storytelling believe it or not.  The game does obviously focus more on facial animation than actual dialogue quality and writing in general, like so many other AAA games.  So many closeups, so it does become a bit of an issue that the facial animations are not great, but obviously not as big of an issue as the excessive stupid dialogue from characters and some other generic silliness I have come across so far (such as the fact that you have no military background in the game yet you wipe out entire bases of hostile armed aliens and more).

Animations are one of the first things that should be sacrificed for the sake of budget and other, more important factors.  Voice acting is another; when a game has poor voice acting like this one, it's probably better off with none and the abandonment of cinematic style.  Another storytelling method should be used instead.  Although that doesn't really apply to this game since like most other AAA cinematic games, the emphasis is simply on the cinematics, not the writing/story.  Had another method been used (such as text) it'd be even more boring because the writing probably isn't worthwhile.

But it doesn't even cross most peoples' mind that you can have top tier storytelling by video game standards without any facial animations and minimal voice acting, e.g. Planescape: Torment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back