Rate the video games you're currently playing
May 26, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #5,431 of 6,938
Currently playing Fallout 4.    60 hours in, I'd give it a 4/5  

Mecahnics are smooth, I actually enjoy the player voice and the dialogue (once you install the mod that fixes those stupid dialogue options and gives you the whole text), it's just lacking abit of that truly immersive rpg feel that new vegas had.

May 26, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #5,432 of 6,938
Replaying Doom 3.

It's alright but it's hard work.

The stuff that annoys me are stuff like:
messing about on the service lift - I always get stuck there
constant footsteps
getting lost in maze areas
locker codes
odd weapon sounds

May 26, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #5,433 of 6,938
Oh, man, I flipping love Doom 3! (I have a weird opinion when it comes to games..)
   The graphics are amazing (except for weird-looking characters), with superb lighting and shader that almost rivals current-gen games. The sound design blows you away! When an enemy spawns in, you hear the whispering, which is eerie, then the flipping bass drops. The bass in this game gets so crazy that it wants to clip, and it's just epic! Especially when you shoot the hyperblaster..loudest gun ever! And all the enemies sound so cool and/or creepy, like the revenant with his mechanical growling.
   If I had to complain about Doom 3, it would be about how useless almost every weapon is apart from the shotgun. The shotgun one-hit kills almost every enemy, yet the other weapons are like pea shooters. The machine gun and pistol shouldn't even exist.
Edit: I also hate fighting the humanoid characters. They're way too difficult compared to other enemies, almost always getting a hit on you before you can hurt them.

May 26, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #5,434 of 6,938
  Oh, man, I flipping love Doom 3! (I have a weird opinion when it comes to games..)
   The graphics are amazing (except for weird-looking characters), with superb lighting and shader that almost rivals current-gen games. The sound design blows you away! When an enemy spawns in, you hear the whispering, which is eerie, then the flipping bass drops. The bass in this game gets so crazy that it wants to clip, and it's just epic! Especially when you shoot the hyperblaster..loudest gun ever! And all the enemies sound so cool and/or creepy, like the revenant with his mechanical growling.
   If I had to complain about Doom 3, it would be about how useless almost every weapon is apart from the shotgun. The shotgun one-hit kills almost every enemy, yet the other weapons are like pea shooters. The machine gun and pistol shouldn't even exist.
Edit: I also hate fighting the humanoid characters. They're way too difficult compared to other enemies, almost always getting a hit on you before you can hurt them.

I think I always liked it; still do. This must be about my tenth play.

I like the combat.

The graphics are acting a bit wierd on me though. I have moded the config file to get it to run in 1080p. However some of the textures are like 480p stretched up from 4:3 aspect.

Like this picture here shows that the screens are clear, but the surrounding desk areas with terrible textures. It's like this right through everywhere. (The screens look very clear in the game. This picture makes them look a little less clear.)

May 26, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #5,435 of 6,938

The Dead Space series (especially 1 and 2, haven't really played Dead Space 3) has some awesome audio design, similar to Doom 3.

May 27, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #5,436 of 6,938
  HAHA! I love your avatar. Does the parrot sing back the music?
You know, I've actually been thinking about zombies a bit lately, and I realized for the first time that they actually would be terrifying in real life. But in zombie games and movies, I just don't find them scary, for some reason. But yeah! I'ma get this game, and I guess I'll get Dead Island Remastered when that comes out so I can play it with my family again..and run off to find glitches.

I noticed that the remastered editions of Dead Island/Riptide, are on sale on steam today for owners of the originals. I could buy the HD version of Riptide for £1.80. I actually might do. They are released on May 31st I think.

I know I got bored of Dead Island, but oddly I am kind of liking Riptide. I have played about two hours, so I hope I can transfer my save file over; no worries if not, I'll start again. It will help if it looks better.

May 27, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #5,437 of 6,938
   That kind of reminds me of an issue I had! I tried playing Quake 4 on my modern PC, and I noticed that textures just didn't seem to look as good as they used to. I was worried that modern Windows was unable to play the game properly. So I brought out my ancient PC from, like, 12 years ago, installed Quake 4, booted it up, and...the textures looked the same. And it was whether I was running the game at 16:9 or 4:3. So weird! Maybe I'm just used to textures in modern games...

Now the textures you're seeing in Doom 3, those are horrible! They're all stretched out and funky @.@...They're definitely messed up, lol. I have no idea what could be causing that.

May 30, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #5,438 of 6,938
Games do get a new life with good audio.
Atmospheric ones especially. 
Dead Space, Stalker, Amnesia, Outlast, Dark Souls.... even Alan Wake got more interesting.

Some of those I would have rated lower if I had poor audio in them.

The ones that have great soundtracks improve a little as well, but the sens of being in the world is much better with good sound.

May 31, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #5,441 of 6,938

Just started playing doom 3. Sounds great, lovethe retro influence on the soundtrack

I am replaying Doom 3 still.

Someone on Steam told me about a mod to make it look better. http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-3-redux

I replayed Doom 3 a little over a year ago and modded it up and it looked pretty good....here are some shots.

May 31, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #5,442 of 6,938
  I replayed Doom 3 a little over a year ago and modded it up and it looked pretty good....here are some shots.

It does look nice.

I said a few posts back that I was having difficulty with my graphics on Doom 3. I am sure it's not normal. When I replayed D3 a few years ago, the graphics were quite good. I may be viewing through nostalgia glasses though.

I haven't applied the mod because there's some kind of mix of low and high res textures on my current game. Modding will give me the same but with other modded textures.

It is a good game though and I think it suffers a massive amount of undeserved criticism. I never objected about its move away from the format of Doom and Doom 2. I think that the early games were the way they were by accident. That was all that was really possible at the time. Graphics were poor and did not lend to in depth story telling. Better to just put lots of groovy monsters in the game back then.

Doom 3 had everything at its disposal, and did often recapture lots of enemies at once. That gets forgotten though.

May 31, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #5,443 of 6,938
Yeah, when you go to Hell, Doom 3 does get pretty, shall I say, hectic? But it still focuses a little bit more on atmosphere rather than sheer action, at least until you get to one of the crazy parts where enemies are spawning in all over the place.
   A lot of people hate the slow pacing, especially with audio logs and PDAs being placed into the game. (It's weird how Doom became a bit like System Shock, its competitor). But you don't have to read or listen to those things, you can just keep moving on and blasting monsters. Play the game your way!

I just remembered another thing I hate the most in Doom 3. ...Infinite spawning spiders! SO ANNOYING!

May 31, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #5,444 of 6,938
Totally agree about the audio logs. I was forgetting that aspect because I collect them all but I don't read any. I use a print off of the codes needed for lockers and access to places.

I just arrived at the Hell dimension and took a break. Just prior to that is one of the parts of the game which I always get wrong. The teleporters. Once you have used pad three, the next control panel allows you to go to pad four. However if you hit pad four, you just go around the loop of teleporters again until you get back to that panel with four on. You have to hit pad one with 'exit' written on it. It drives me mad every-time I play because I forget and go round so many times.

May 31, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #5,445 of 6,938
It's amusing how in some ways Doom 3's lighting system is more advanced than modern games.  Its ratio of actual dynamic light sources is higher for one, and it has actual color blending as seen here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back