Rate the video games you're currently playing
Sep 10, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #4,636 of 6,937
  Well, the DayZ fans will disagree about that. They'll tell you that Bohemia is doing a very bad job given all the millions they got from the DayZ sales and  I kinda agree. Updates have become very sparse. Still zero game optimization a year later and still the standard "it's an alpha" explanation from Bohemia. So it's not like Bohemia has forsaken Arma for DayZ or at least it doesn't show despite that Dayz is pretty much the game that put Bohemia on the map and most of the money they had for the Arma 3's development came from the [size=12.8000001907349px]ton of people who bought Arma 2 purely for the DayZ mod.[/size]
[size=12.8000001907349px]Anyway, most of my friends used to play Altis and Wasteland but now it seems they mostly play Arma 2 Overpoch and Epoch. Personally I'm waiting for the Arma 3 Epoch to be completed.[/size]

You're right, it's more like they've forsaken both ArmA and Day Z and who knows what they're doing with all that cash.  Swimming in it?  

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #4,638 of 6,937
Ordered Nier two days ago on half.com. Can't wait for it to arrive. I heard it was one of the most underrated games of this gen. Great story, great characters, and a unique experience so I gave it a shot for $12 used. The games I've loved the most all have those qualities and hopefully this game will live up to the underrated hype. 

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #4,639 of 6,937
Battlefield Bad Company 2: 9.9999/10 The only game I play with intent of doing well or being semi competitive.

Audiosurf: 8.6584/10 Great way to enjoy new music

Battlefield 4: 0/10  What a waste of $60.  I'm glad I didn't waste money on any of the gimmicky DLC.  The most fun I've had on this game is finding a CQ large server, sitting in the trans heli so it's in spawn all game and spamming lyrics into the game chat trying to get past 100+ words per minute lol.  Usually Florence & The Machine, Black Keys, The Doors, or Sinatra.  There's even some random server where the admin kicks other people for complaining about me it's hilarious.

I've also Tried to die as many times as possible in one round, got some other dude to do it with me.  Pics from the PC enthusiast thread:

Kind of imagined the massive cash grab would happen with Day Z standalone, still bought into it.  

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #4,640 of 6,937
  Battlefield Bad Company 2: 9.9999/10 The only game I play with intent of doing well or being semi competitive.

Audiosurf: 8.6584/10 Great way to enjoy new music

Battlefield 4: 0/10  What a waste of $60.  I'm glad I didn't waste money on any of the gimmicky DLC.  The most fun I've had on this game is finding a CQ large server, sitting in the trans heli so it's in spawn all game and spamming lyrics into the game chat trying to get past 100+ words per minute lol.  Usually Florence & The Machine, Black Keys, The Doors, or Sinatra.  There's even some random server where the admin kicks other people for complaining about me it's hilarious.

I've also Tried to die as many times as possible in one round, got some other dude to do it with me.  Pics from the PC enthusiast thread:

Kind of imagined the massive cash grab would happen with Day Z standalone, still bought into it.  

I'm not a big BF fan (never have been), but BFBC2 was by far the best one I've ever played. I actually liked the campaign due to the quirky characters, and I don't know if they used a different graphics engine from the main BF games, but I thought that the graphics in Bad Company 2 looked a lot more refined, less jaggy, and polished than BF3 and BF4. Maxing the latter two on a PC made them look hella nice, but on consoles, BFBC2 had the best visuals imo. 

I also found the multiplayer maps and the whole experience itself much more fun and polished in BC2 than in the latest releases. Frostbite mentioned how they "couldn't quite figure out what exactly it was that people liked so much about BC2," and to be fair to them, I don't really know either, but it was just way more fun to play than BF3 and BF4. I liked the aiming and firing of the guns better, and the maps were more fun to play in. The maps were also less urban in BC2 than in BF3 and BF4 I've noticed.

I've played BF3 a fair amount, and I've played BF4 probably 10 times. BF4 was an abomination and nearly unplayable. The amount of server issues I experienced in the first month was a joke,;it was impossible to get linked up with a friend, games crashed, and the actual maps were just horribly designed and all looked like **** running on the xbox 360. I couldn't wait to sell BF4 and get some money back from that game. I had to apologize to my friend whom I convinced to pick up BF4 with me, and I feel really guilty that that was the first battlefield game he ever played. 

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #4,641 of 6,937
Yeah I love the art style in BC2 way more than any other BF game.  The colors are great and vibrant on jungle maps and not over done on desert/snow maps.  The map design (I pretty much only play rush) is also a ton better in BC2 than BF4.  I played a ton of BF3, it was good enough in terms of gun mechanics and maps.  Don't think I'll be playing any of the new Battlefield games, Hardline looks like a cheap gimmick as does all the BF4 DLC - Riot shields! Rail guns! Lame!

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #4,642 of 6,937
  Yeah I love the art style in BC2 way more than any other BF game.  The colors are great and vibrant on jungle maps and not over done on desert/snow maps.  The map design (I pretty much only play rush) is also a ton better in BC2 than BF4.  I played a ton of BF3, it was good enough in terms of gun mechanics and maps.  Don't think I'll be playing any of the new Battlefield games, Hardline looks like a cheap gimmick as does all the BF4 DLC - Riot shields! Rail guns! Lame!

Rush was my main play mode as well. The mode did a great job of moving you along from one concentrated area to the next, and again I think part of the reason BC2 maps were better were was due to the openness of the levels. Less urban settings means more open areas, less chokeholds. Also I loved how every match you played was different due to the environmental changes. I've had games where an entire area of the map would be leveled to the ground (buildings, trees, etc) and other matches on the same map where people kept to using guns and cover more. It was truly a dynamic experience, and the name "Battlefield" definitely suited that game. I haven't played any other multiplayer FPS that gave me that level of dynamic immersion (other FPS's being Cod, Halo, other BF games, and random other games like MoH, Resistance on the PS3). I hear Red Orchesta 2 was an immersive experience (although for different reasons).

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #4,643 of 6,937

You're right, it's more like they've forsaken both ArmA and Day Z and who knows what they're doing with all that cash.  Swimming in it?  

Its not like its something uncommon nowdays:

Invest in hypeing a game, release a half done product, get ppl to buy it, if there are no lawsuits, ignore it.
If the pressure becomes to big, close the company saying you have financial problems or solve the problem by spending part of your income to fix it.
Unfortunately ppl still buy impulsively, and dont forget that younger consumers usually spend their parents money, so its not like they care that much.

My worst investment was Starcraft 2, and its not a terrible game, just not as good as I expected, but I never bought games like diablo 3, battlefield 3/4, call of duty... anything after modern warfare 1...
I think in the last year I bought 2 games only, and both were old games.

In a similar fashion headphones are starting to pop out of nowhere. Look at how many new headphones have been announced in the last month... its NUTS!

Im guessing the same way that World of warcraft opened the doors to crappy games among great ones (and even destroyed some of the good sagas), Beats might have opened the doors to more headphone sales, but also to companies who will want to sell their weak products at higher prices.

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #4,645 of 6,937
Ace Attorney vs. Professor Layton: 9.3/10

Puzzles are a bit too easy and not enough court cases like a normal AA game and I don't like how Layton acts in the late-game, but enough to be 15-20 hours of enjoyable reading.

Sep 22, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #4,646 of 6,937
I've been playing SWTOR obsessively for the past few months. I think the last time I posted here I had one level 55, now I have 3. (Jedi Guardian, Sith Assassin, Bounty Hunter/Merc)

By this point, I've done basically all the PvE content, including Ops and Flashpoints. Even got into a guild and have been playing somewhat socially!

Operations and Flashpoints really add a lot of fun to the game, even when you're doing a flashpoint for the 15th time. It's just neat trying to get a little better, and a little faster with each go. Grouping up randomly via the group finder also adds a nice unknown quantity, since you can never be sure if who you're grouped with knows their rotations or not. Usually they do, but you just never know, and that's kind of fun. Operations are tons of fun, though sometimes feel a little too long for me. They can run anywhere between an hour and a half if everyone knows the fights well, to 3+ hours if you have to stop and explain.

Pretty geared out at this point, and eagerly awaiting the new expansion. I gobble up any small story bits that come down the pipeline, so a proper expansion is very desirable.

So, for a rating, I'm bumping it up to a 10/10. It's rare that I enjoy an MMO anywhere close to this.

Also: It's funny leveling up new characters now that I know how to really play this. It's so easy to gear up your characters, and weeklies, dailies, and flashpoints give huge XP rewards, so you can get characters way higher level than they should be.

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #4,648 of 6,937
Been playing Wasteland 2 for the past few days and loving every bit of it. I mostly missed the whole isometric rpg thing back in the day, except for Nox - which was/is awesome - and I think it's great they're coming back with a bang. Between this, Divinity: Original Sin and the upcoming Pillars of Eternity, I think I'll dive to the classics after I'm finished. The game is still somewhat buggy and occasionally cumbersome, but one hell of a gateway drug. Highly recommended.

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #4,649 of 6,937
I just started playing Wasteland 2 today. Glad to hear your positive assessment. 

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #4,650 of 6,937
Still playing Divinity: Original Sin and probably going to start Wasteland 2 this week. Hopefully it bring back that fallout 1/2 feel that I loved so much. I replayed Fallout2 less than a year ago, and I still enjoy it. 

I've been hearing that Wasteland 2 has some nice difficulty. I hope that's true because Divinity is a breeze. Maybe if I just purposefully ignore how to setup characters and parties properly, It'll be a harder experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back