Rate the video games you're currently playing
Sep 9, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #4,621 of 6,936
darkswan Been a few months since I played. Ill have to jump back in.

Verdun has had my current FPS attention just because I wanted to enjoy some unique trench warfare gameplay.

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #4,622 of 6,936
  Rising Storm (Red Orchestra 2)
Currently playing Rising Storm non-stop. I'd have to rate it 9.5/10. The gameplay is so damn good, so good. The gunplay among the best i've ever seen. Whilst it isn't overly realistic (still more than most), it has the most authentic feeling WW2 gunplay I've ever experienced. Guns FEEL like they are packing a serious punch but are wild and unweildy such as military technology was at the time. I feel like I'm holding a dangerous beast, that could just as easily be my worst enemy as it could my best friend....but that feeling when you learn to tame the beast and rain death upon the Nazi's from afar with an M1, watching the spray of blood as another head explodes and you chuckle devilishly. The battles feel large, like they are significant to the War itself, however, unlike many other large scale games, you can make a difference. You work for every inch, every room, every broken window, every pile of rubble, and they all matter. You push through a smoke grenade and mow down three soldiers in a room; that may have been the turning point in the battle. The maps are amazing as well....DDAY is the best experience ever, IWO Jima, the flamethrowers....JESUS the flamethrowers....the flames are HUGE and are amazing to see from across the battlefield.
TRIPWIRE....you did it again....
My only complaint is that balance can become an issue....but I'll only deduct 1/2 a point because this game is not for little children to pick up and go 41-3.....this is a game of strategy and skill that you can do OKAY at from the start.
9.5/10

Well put.  That's one of only two recent PvP shooters I can honestly recommend to people.  Rising Storm is pretty much how I always wanted the Battlefield games to play out like, except for the lack of aircraft (which doesn't personally bother me at all). 

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #4,627 of 6,936
  @Rhamnetin Battlefield 3 is actually my personal favourite FPS but I was rather disappointed with BF4 so Rising Storm was an unexpected but very welcome surprise (I received it for free from a friend). Also, I'm curious what the other is of the two?

The other is Natural Selection 2.  It's basically a strategy game and a shooter in one, I really wish more PvP shooters had such complexity.  When Tripwire inevitably releases a modern-warfare themed successor to Red Orchestra, I'll definitely add a highly strategic game mode to it, inspired by Power Struggle from Crysis.  

The only Battlefield games I like are BF1942 and BF2142, though I'd probably like BF2 as well since it's in the same league as these.  They had great mod support, free DLC, good level design, and most importantly they were less dumbed down than the modern ones.  I'm quite sure they're all dead with the Gamespy shutdown, though NS2 + Rising Storm are plenty for me.  

I do urge people to check out Insurgency too; I haven't played it yet, but it's a smaller scale PC exclusive competitive shooter that also pushes for realism.  One could say that Rising Storm is the more serious, tactical counterpart to Battlefield, while Insurgency looks the same to Call of Duty.

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #4,628 of 6,936
@Kamakahah

Wow, i hadn't heard of Verdun but it looks quite interesting. I'm weary of early access games though, especially after the ongoing Stomping Grounds fiasco. How buggy is it in it's current state?

It's clearly still a beta. Completely payable. There are a bugs, but nothing game breaking. I picked it up on sale for about $5-6.
What it has is a pretty unique trench combat system. I'm not confident it will ever reach release standards, but what does these days? I've gotten my money's worth so far.

I'll have to hit you up on steam for some rising storm.

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #4,629 of 6,936

The other is Natural Selection 2.  It's basically a strategy game and a shooter in one, I really wish more PvP shooters had such complexity. 

Ah yes, I have heard many good things :p
I even own that one thanks to Humble Bundle, but due to my piss poor internet and the fact I still have over 60 games to download....I haven't gotten to it yet :p
It always looked a little....daunting. I've never been one particularly good at strategy games :p

Also, surprisingly I adore the older Call of Duty's....even up to Black Ops. MW3 was when it went to crap for me. Guilty pleasure of mine I must admit :wink:
Nearly as bad as Faerie Solitaire 
biggrin.gif

Which incidentally is a really damn fun twist on solitaire. 

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #4,630 of 6,936
  Ah yes, I have heard many good things :p
I even own that one thanks to Humble Bundle, but due to my piss poor internet and the fact I still have over 60 games to download....I haven't gotten to it yet :p
It always looked a little....daunting. I've never been one particularly good at strategy games :p

Also, surprisingly I adore the older Call of Duty's....even up to Black Ops. MW3 was when it went to crap for me. Guilty pleasure of mine I must admit :wink:
Nearly as bad as Faerie Solitaire 
biggrin.gif

Which incidentally is a really damn fun twist on solitaire. 

If you're not a fan of strategy games, avoid the commander role in NS2 and you'll be fine.  If you're not a commander, then the game is a heavily tactical shooter/action game (Alien team doesn't quite have shooter gameplay) with many different playstyles.  Just remember to follow your commander's orders, that game really require synergy. 

To me, CoD multiplayer has been the exact same since MW2, and even MW2 felt too similar to CoD 4, and I disliked every change they made.  But I do partially agree with you about MW3, that's where the level design reached an all-time low.  

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #4,631 of 6,936
Rhamnetin

I loved the first NS. NS2 has come a long way. It's a very fun game. The community has been pretty good.
I second Rhamnetin's recommendation.

Eventually you can use the tutorial practice to learn and get comfortable with the commander role. It's like getting two games in one. It goes on sale fairly often.

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #4,632 of 6,936
NS2 has come a long way.

Oh man, guys who are just getting the game have no idea.  It was so much different when I got it in early 2013.  The amount of support and free content added to the game is amazing, they set such a high example.  They added even more to it than Tripwire adds to their games, and Tripwire is VERY generous with free content.  In fact, Tripwire has been testing new tanks and weaponry lately for RO2.  PAYDAY 2 is another game that has changed immensely since release, for the better, thanks to perfect updates and lots of free content.  

These might be the only three studios I'll continue to buy multiplayer games from.  Bohemia Interactive is a big "maybe" now, ArmA 3 doesn't add much as a sequel and still doesn't have nearly as much content as ArmA 2.  Day Z is supposedly a mess but I don't care for that game.  

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #4,633 of 6,936

These might be the only three studios I'll continue to buy multiplayer games from.  Bohemia Interactive is a big "maybe" now, ArmA 3 doesn't add much as a sequel and still doesn't have nearly as much content as ArmA 2.  Day Z is supposedly a mess but I don't care for that game.  

Well, Arma 3 is still a great game even if just for some of the mods. DayZ has improved quite a bit since its release but still needs plenty of work. [size=12.8000001907349px]It's still lacking optimization and arguably one of the most hardware intensive games due to the dated engine coz for some reason Bohemia didn't use the Arma 3 engine. My fps still drops often to circa 30 in towns, which is ridiculous given that on Watch Dogs at 1080p and High settings I get 60-90.[/size][size=12.8000001907349px] [/size]Hopefully when they implement the new engine it will be less of a mess.
I personally like the concept and have spent a lot of time on it but just like with Arma it's a lot better with friends. Trying to be tactical and successful with random people or on your own is just a no go. Find several friends with skills to play with and get a Team Speak channel and both DayZ and Arma are a whole different experience.

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #4,634 of 6,936
  Well, Arma 3 is still a great game even if just for some of the mods. DayZ has improved quite a bit since its release but still needs plenty of work. [size=12.8000001907349px]It's still lacking optimization and arguably one of the most hardware intensive games due to the dated engine coz for some reason Bohemia didn't use the Arma 3 engine. My fps still drops often to circa 30 in towns, which is ridiculous given that on Watch Dogs at 1080p and High settings I get 60-90.[/size][size=12.8000001907349px] [/size]Hopefully when they implement the new engine it will be less of a mess.
I personally like the concept and have spent a lot of time on it but just like with Arma it's a lot better with friends. Trying to be tactical and successful with random people or on your own is just a no go. Find several friends with skills to play with and get a Team Speak channel and both DayZ and Arma are a whole different experience.

Yeah ArmA 3 is still an improvement over ArmA 2 in almost every way.  I think most of the mods like Altis Life and Breakdown are crap though.  I really hate how they released that Zeus DLC, but never released a fully functional 3D editor which is vaguely similar, has been in demand since the first ArmA, and has been partially implemented for a while but never completed.  Due to the success of Day Z, BIS has turned their back on their core fans for the money.  

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #4,635 of 6,936
  Due to the success of Day Z, BIS has turned their back on their core fans for the money.  

Well, the DayZ fans will disagree about that. They'll tell you that Bohemia is doing a very bad job given all the millions they got from the DayZ sales and  I kinda agree. Updates have become very sparse. Still zero game optimization a year later and still the standard "it's an alpha" explanation from Bohemia. So it's not like Bohemia has forsaken Arma for DayZ or at least it doesn't show despite that Dayz is pretty much the game that put Bohemia on the map and most of the money they had for the Arma 3's development came from the [size=12.8000001907349px]ton of people who bought Arma 2 purely for the DayZ mod.[/size]
[size=12.8000001907349px]Anyway, most of my friends used to play Altis and Wasteland but now it seems they mostly play Arma 2 Overpoch and Epoch. Personally I'm waiting for the Arma 3 Epoch to be completed.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back