Rate the video games you're currently playing
Feb 14, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #1,382 of 6,947
Quote:
I wish you could get the old SNES games on a DS type console. The old SNES RPG's were the best. (Terranigma, Secret of Mana, Earthbound, Soul Blazer, Act Raiser etc).

You can always play Chrono Trigger on the DS.  They've did a really nice job not messing with the graphics and sound.  They changed a few famous lines when they cleaned up the translation, but that's no reason not to get the DS version.  And way cheap then an SNES copy as well.  If you use one of the flash cards you can play the SNES games on DS, or if you have the original style PSP just hack that. ;P  I have to agree with you, the SNES RPG's were the best, and some of my favorite RPGs ever released were SNES ones.

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #1,383 of 6,947

Quote:
Quote:
I wish you could get the old SNES games on a DS type console. The old SNES RPG's were the best. (Terranigma, Secret of Mana, Earthbound, Soul Blazer, Act Raiser etc).

You can always play Chrono Trigger on the DS.  They've did a really nice job not messing with the graphics and sound.  They changed a few famous lines when they cleaned up the translation, but that's no reason not to get the DS version.  And way cheap then an SNES copy as well.  If you use one of the flash cards you can play the SNES games on DS, or if you have the original style PSP just hack that. ;P  I have to agree with you, the SNES RPG's were the best, and some of my favorite RPGs ever released were SNES ones.

Yeah I have an R4 thingy for my DS, so I may have to look it up. I have played through Chrono Trigger on DS already, great game!

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #1,384 of 6,947

Quote:
I tried one of the star wars games and it just sucked imo.  It's really not a fps at all, it's on par with one of the earlier doom games probably, except you get light sabers too.  I don't think it even let you aim up or down, it's pretty much just a very primitive fps.  I'm not sure about MOH.  I heard that Resistance was pretty decent and the siphon filter games should be alright as well.  I never played any real fps's though because the PSP isn't really made for them.  
You really need to get a memory stick o.O
Just make sure that you don't get a cheap one off of like deal extreme or something because it'll make your load times sky rocket.  The photofast dual micro sd card adapter works pretty well too, if you decide to use one of those make sure you utilize both slots because that supposedly makes it faster. 

i ordered that photofast adapter some days ago, should be here tomorrow, and i have some 2(2),4,8(2) and 16(2) GB microSD, i read i have to keep both always in, and in the same slot? well that is picky, but worth it, since im not buying more cards, and the stick duo are kinda pricey. i might use 2 x 8 and keep the 16 for the DAP.

first 30 minutes of FF: Crisis Core feels like watching a movie ... with some   occasional iteration lol. think Im complaining too much

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #1,385 of 6,947
Quote:
Yeah I have an R4 thingy for my DS, so I may have to look it up. I have played through Chrono Trigger on DS already, great game!

Have you played the leaked final fan game [Square shut down the project a while back], Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes (SNES)?  Yeah I have a similar flash cart.  I need to get older games running on it.  I wouldn't mind playing my old games on the go.

Feb 14, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #1,386 of 6,947
Quote:
first 30 minutes of FF: Crisis Core feels like watching a movie ... with some   occasional iteration lol. think Im complaining too much

Nah, it definitely suffers from SquareEnix's desire to make movies instead of games. I've added a few more recommendations are below. The PSP is pretty inconsistent when it comes to releases and genres, but there's a good sized backlog at this point.

Puzzle:
Lumines (1, not 2) - Must have puzzle game, great use of music
Gunpey - Good line based puzzle game, not quite as good as Lumines
Puzzle Quest - A fun match the blocks puzzle game with a crunchy RPG shell
Patapon 1/2 - Not sure where to put this, a cute rhythm/lite-RTS game
Tetris (PSMini) - Decent iteration, a bit on the expensive side

Turn Based Strat:
Valkyria Chronicles 2 - Sideways step compared to PS3 predecessor, still great game
Tactics Ogre: LUCT - Massively updated version of classic TBS
Final Fantasy Tactics: WoTL - Somewhat updated version of classic TBS, also available as a PSOne Classic
Disgaea 1/2 - Humorous (if extremely grindy) TBS, tons of content
Field Commander - PSP's Advance Wars clone, good gameplay, ugly artwork
Jeanne d'Arc - Good story and artwork, unbalanced gameplay
Metal Gear Acid 1/2: TBS/collectable card game mash up, bit of a steep learning curve

There are quite a few more good games in this genre, but they're significantly less accessible (quite a feat given that this is a fairly inaccessible genre) than the above.

Shooters:
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - Metal Gear Solid done right on the PSP, tons of content
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror/Logan's Shadow - More stealth shooter goodness
Resistance: Retribution - About as good as it gets in a conventional PSP shooter
Killzone: Liberation - Killzone as a top down shooter, works great

RPG:
Persona 3 - A good conversion with some extra content for one of the PS2 RPG greats
Ys 7 - Slick action RPG with great gameplay, lots of content, conventional story
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (1, not 2) - Good port of a good action RPG
Final Fantasy 7/8/9 - Available as PSOne Classics
Cladun: This is an RPG! - 8-bit looks and gameplay with modern customization and oddball humor
Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman - Polished modern Rogue-like, lots of content, acquired taste

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #1,387 of 6,947
Thank you marvin! all goes o my list, is a big list now, so even if i dont like them ill be pretty busy trying out. i am so getting persona 3 and FF: tactics to start with.

and here is my take on God of War: Ghost od Sparta:

this game ****** sucks! RPG my ass.
you go and hit whatever comes in front of you just because, you cant change weapon or develop a character and the weapon upgrades makes the so called hero to make gymnastics like movements with his faggy chains with a knife at the end. 

The story is pretty much this: the god are pissed against each other and they chose this barbarian-like dude who happen to be from sparta and send him to fight for them because, apparently, the good gods are useless whie the evil ones are pretty strong and badass.

and dont even get me started in the script, is like NARRATOR: "Our hero had a bad feeling about that place" . the camera close up to KRATOS and says: " I have a bad feeling about this place" ...

the only skill you need is the ability to press the right button when the screen shows it. just like that dancing game in which you step on different squares when the screen tells you to.

and i am only halfway trough.

Edit: OK it actually got better ont he second half, Im even planing to play it on the last difficulty level.

Think i liked the part about the dungeon with the chains and then killing Persephone.

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #1,388 of 6,947
So much waiting for a new Hitman game not like I/O current sucky work. They really went far with the audio on these games. IMO that and splinter cell games is up there in top on combined audio, visual & gaming style pairing & artistic quality

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #1,389 of 6,947
Currently still trying to complete Last Remnant. It's not the best game in the world, and combat is rather random. But the varied character and the way in which you're limited in the control of actions sort of reminded me of one of the best game I'd ever played - Dragon Force (Sega Saturn). 

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #1,390 of 6,947

Quote:
this game ****** sucks! RPG my ass.

I have to ask, who originally told you that GoW was an RPG? It's the first I've ever heard of it honestly. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #1,392 of 6,947
lolwut? GoW has never even been presented as an RPG even by the company, it's a action hack and slash.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #1,393 of 6,947

Quote:
lolwut? GoW has never even been presented as an RPG even by the company, it's a action hack and slash.

well i did not visit their website, still havent, but most list and forums has it as an action-RPG, hence my confusion. perhaps i wouldnt be so disappointed with the game if i didnt expect it to be diablo-esque.

and yeah, hack and slash seems to be more appropriated.

even so, i think it was monotonous, but at the end the fight agains the bosses make it up a bit, still, im pissed at the whole battle ending with "press the right key when you see it on the scree" minigame.

well, off to FF: Crisis Core now. and Medal of Honer: Heroes (ive head this is an RPG aye? .. jk!)

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #1,394 of 6,947
Dead Space 2 pc multi - 8.2/10. 23 hours in @ level 36. It has the most important element of a good multiplayer game - fun but is ultimately upper bounded by only 5 maps, rehashed suit unlockables, which are essentially the security suits in just different colours, more-than-frequent loss of connections in the middle of a match, which will result in losing all the exp points that you have acquired during the match, and no anti-cheat protection vs hackers that are relatively rare but still can ruin the game if they happen to be in the game. If anyone wanna group up for matches, pm's are welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back