Rate the video games you're currently playing
Feb 12, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #1,366 of 6,972
Thank you, will be grabbing recommendations out of there.

I might convince my brother to get a DS and then offer a trade sometime in the future, by now, ill try to see what lots of people seems to like from this.

hopefully FF: Crisis Core will get me entertained

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #1,368 of 6,972
I don't think it could be that bad... I wish they would use the same engine though. I hope the mechanics stay the same. (I'm trying to be optimistic)

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #1,369 of 6,972
The DS really has about the same amount of RPG's as the PSP and they are usually meh *have a psp and DSi* Kingdom hearts Birth by sleep, and half minute hero's are great

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #1,370 of 6,972

Quote:
The DS really has about the same amount of RPG's as the PSP and they are usually meh *have a psp and DSi* Kingdom hearts Birth by sleep, and half minute hero's are great

how about the zelda's?
i wrote down your recommendation :) thanks.

hey this one actually looks like the old zelda ... awesome graphics back on those days huh!

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #1,373 of 6,972
LittleBigPlanet 2 - 9 / 10 - This game is fantabulous. I hesitated getting the first one the couple of years ago it had come out due to the childish poster ads I had seen to it, but much like the first one, the feeling you get while playing the game is like hugging the person you love for the first time. Stephen Fry's warm voice enters you into the world and then you're welcomed with a colourful feel-good environment with great a great soundtrack, quirky text (or in the second, voice acting) and fun (not too easy, not too hard) puzzles and action sequences. Nintendo can eat a bag of turtles, because this takes the concept of something like Mario and truly reinvents it... rather than just releasing the same game every few years. Not to mention that the second game gives wannabe, and sometimes actual, game designers a chance to make, not just a LittleBigPlanet level, but games that break into other genres (racings, FPS, fighting, action, narrative, etc.).

It's really a very unique game that has loads of charm to keep bringing you back and I loved every minute of it much like the first, which you should buy unless you want me to mail you a jar of pickled puppies.

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #1,374 of 6,972
I just sold my psp, no time to play it anymore so I decided to get rid of it before sony's new NGP makes prices plummet.
When I first got my psp I sort of wished I got a ds too (pokemon! yay!) but after trying a ton of games there definitely are some good ones.  like RPG's a lot so that's mostly what I did with my PSP.
My all time favorite was Disgaea.  The camera takes some getting used to and there's a slight learning curve but it's really awesome once you get into it.  It's almost like Fire Emblem style fighting but with much more RPG elements.  So there's slightly less strategy and tactics but a lot more leveling, special skills, and equipment involved.  The characters are hilarious and the storyline is good too.  You could play this game forever, there's so much stuff to do.  The storyline is only like half of the game there's still a ton of stuff to do afterwards.  One of the very few games that I played through more than once.
Monster Hunter Portable - TBH I got bored in a short amount of time but the graphics are good, combat system is one of the best I've ever seen there's actually a lot of skill.  The item system is also super awesome, equipment looks cool, you can actually see armor on your char, and there's a really complex crafting system.  The only problem is that you spend the whole game hunting monsters/animals and there isn't much of a storyline...
Breath of Fire III - I played this like 6 years ago but it was super awesome.  One of the best storylines ever.  Equipment system was decent, there are rare items but your char pretty much looks the same throughout the whole game.  Grinding does help, it's not one of those games where levels are irrelevant.  There's a fair amount of skill in the battle system.
YS series - There are a bunch of titles, there are some newer games with pretty nice graphics and some older more classical ones.  Very simple games, I can definitely see some similarities to Zelda.  There's a decent amount of skill involved (mostly just for the boss battles) but for the most part you just hack and slash.  Equipment system is very simple, you don't find any rare equipment you just buy them in a store or they're given to you.  There really isn't any grinding necessary.  
Tales of the World - Some people say this game was repetitive and boring but I liked it...  Graphics are pretty good, Item/equipment system is very in depth, and I thought the battle system was awesome as well.  The battle system takes a lot of skill, there's a ton of dodging and comboing involved, it's almost on par with a game like Super Smash Bros.  There's a pretty cool class system too and the storyline wasn't too bad.  It's a shame they didn't translate 2 or 3.  Darn Japan, keeping the good stuff for themselves.
Legend of Heroes - Super standard stereotypical RPG with a very predictable plot.  I played the first one.  The story is VERY long.
Dungeon Siege Throne of Agony - Another really good RPG, this one is like Diablo style (That's what I heard, I never played Diablo).  Cool combat system, nice equipment system, and good storyline.
Hexyz Force - Pretty standard RPG again.  Kind of cool because you can play both a female and male character.  I thought the girl char was sort of cute.  If you don't think so then don't bother playing.
Mana Khemia - Cool game, but the leveling system was really dumb so I stopped playing.
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth - Weird game, I couldn't get into it.
Persona 3 - Very interesting RPG.  Not standard at all, it's like a combination of a visual novel and Pokemon almost.  I'd recommend it though, I liked it a lot.  It's hard to describe, it's like 2 styles of gameplay in one.
Class of Heroes - Don't play this game it sucks.  
Star Ocean - Another pretty standard RPG imo.  Not so much skill in the battle system but it's real time as opposed to turn based.  Your character sprite looks the same throughout the whole game.  The storyline is pretty original I guess.  The game is a classic apparently and lots of people like it.
Phantasy Star Portable - Great character creation system and very good equipment/item system too.  Combat is a little awkward but not too bad.  Levels are somewhat repetitive and I didn't like the storyline very much. 
Dante's Inferno and God of War - I'm lumping these two games into one because they're almost identical other than the storylines.  You hack and slash and beat the crap out of everything and look really cool while doing it too.  I managed to finish Dante's Inferno but God of War got sort of boring.  Graphics are great, equipment is non existant, you really don't grind or level you just get more skills.
Assassin's Creed - I loved this one, it made me feel so neeeenja climbing up and jumping down buildings and just pwning everyone.  Altair is so BA.  I'm afraid of heights in real life so I guess it sort of gave me some sort of extra thrill playing this game.  But really, it's a very good game for psp standards.
GTA series - I thought this game was hilarious, it's so funny just taking people's cars and running over stuff.  I didn't finish it but it's definitely one of the better games out there.
Jeanne D Arc - Another strategy RPG sort of like Fire Emblem but much more in depth.  I liked it a bunch.  The voice overs with French accents were sort of cool.
Final Fantasy Tactics - Too pro for me, I got stuck on level 2 and gave up lol. 

There are probably some games that I'm forgetting, I played through such a huge volume of them.  The PSP does have a lot of great titles though.  For some reason I was never a big fan of Square Enix's stuff.  And wow what a wall of text.

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #1,376 of 6,972

Quote:
Monster Hunter Portable - TBH I got bored in a short amount of time but the graphics are good, combat system is one of the best I've ever seen there's actually a lot of skill.  The item system is also super awesome, equipment looks cool, you can actually see armor on your char, and there's a really complex crafting system.  The only problem is that you spend the whole game hunting monsters/animals and there isn't much of a storyline...
Final Fantasy Tactics - Too pro for me, I got stuck on level 2 and gave up lol. 

There are probably some games that I'm forgetting, I played through such a huge volume of them.  The PSP does have a lot of great titles though.  For some reason I was never a big fan of Square Enix's stuff.  And wow what a wall of text.

Monster Hunter is only fun with other people, especially since killing a dragon (wyvern in the game IIRC) is hard as balls. Also FFT was one of my favorite games growing up, and I didn't know there was a PSP version of it.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #1,377 of 6,972
A game that really made me go through it with a different pace (not to mention a great orchestral soundtrack) is Outcast. It might have some time already, but I like how every action you do has some effect around the world and its inhabitants.

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #1,378 of 6,972
Sari0n, thanks for the detailed descriptions,you made me want to try Disgaea, breath of Fire ( i played the one and two long ago), persona 3, assasins creed and ff tactics.

as a matter of fact i just ordered assasin's Creed: Bloodlines.

any one know how good or bad is Star Wars: Elite Squadron and Medal of honor: Heroes?
in PC, i have liked all MoH, and Starwars, but idk, game style seems to change a lot from PC to PSP, so far god of war is meh and i dont have a memory stick to save/play downloaded games lol

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #1,379 of 6,972
I tried one of the star wars games and it just sucked imo.  It's really not a fps at all, it's on par with one of the earlier doom games probably, except you get light sabers too.  I don't think it even let you aim up or down, it's pretty much just a very primitive fps.  I'm not sure about MOH.  I heard that Resistance was pretty decent and the siphon filter games should be alright as well.  I never played any real fps's though because the PSP isn't really made for them.  
You really need to get a memory stick o.O
Just make sure that you don't get a cheap one off of like deal extreme or something because it'll make your load times sky rocket.  The photofast dual micro sd card adapter works pretty well too, if you decide to use one of those make sure you utilize both slots because that supposedly makes it faster. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #1,380 of 6,972

Quote:
Quote:

how about the zelda's?
i wrote down your recommendation :) thanks.

hey this one actually looks like the old zelda ... awesome graphics back on those days huh!

I never really liked the zelda games for teh DS, I'm a game cube kinda guy my self. Some of the playstation Digital RPG's are really great. Final Fantasy War of the Lions was a great remake for the PSP*you can also buy ps1 games for it* you just gotta kind of look but so far KH:BBS is one of my favorite hand held games ever.

and I totally just Powered through deadspace 1 again in like 6 hours, almost upgrading all my weapons, buying everything and getting all but like 3 trophy's PLATINUM HERE I COME!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back