Rate the video games you're currently playing
Dec 21, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #287 of 6,938
Finished Far Cry 2 a while ago but haven't rated it yet:

8.5/10. A very very memorable game. Amazing environment and graphics, very fun, great realism and decent storyline. Marked down for the bad multiplayer and the few bugs, most of which have been ironed out by now.

Oh yeah, Bioshock too:

9.5/10. AMAZING. So many ways to play... Great evironment's and love the branching storyline. Marked down because I think the storyline is a wee bit weak in some places.

Dec 21, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #288 of 6,938
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm starting to get into Tales of Vesperia. Although the bosses are a little bit difficult, I'm really enjoying it so far. I like the optional dialog in between cinematics, it gives the characters a lot more life and makes things more interesting. Between the Cooking, Skills, Grade, and weapons containing skills, the system is a little on the complicated side, but I feel like I'll get the hang of it before long.

A month later with about 50-60 hours in, I'm still playing this. There are lots of little sidequests you can get involved with in addition to the long main story. This is easily the best JRPG I've played on 360, easily besting Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata and Enchanted Arms. The forging of weapons from items you find from monsters, then learning special skills from the weapons is a system that keeps the game interesting, even if you're just grinding before the next dungeon.

Also recently picked up Fallout 3, which I didn't really get into. I might play it again later but compared to Oblivion, the world is more dreary and less interesting imho.

Dec 21, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #290 of 6,938
Far Cry 2

Pros: Graphic quality, adequately enjoyable firefights...

Cons: Horrible travel distances (you'll spend more time walking/driving than actual fighting), repetition, bland dead environment, no real plot

Persona 4

Pros: Unique story, addictive combat, Teddie, better pacing that P3

Cons: Not much to do outside of battle, lacks weird-cool atmosphere of P3, characters are less interesting than P3

Prince of Persia

Pros: Nice visuals, fun in short bursts

Cons: Overly simplistic and non-evolving gameplay (combat, platforming), environment lacks graphical variety, characters and story are bland

Left4Dead

Pros: Fun multiplayer

Cons: Boring singleplayer, aged graphics, no real plot, enemies are fairly stupid

Tomb Raider Underworld

Pros: It's Tomb Raider (familiar graphics, gameplay, combat)

Cons: It's Tomb Raider (archaic graphics, gameplay, combat)

Dec 21, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #291 of 6,938
For the last two months I've been working my way through the Touhou Project games. They're all amazing games in my opinion-- some of the best I've played. Which is amazing because they're not commercially produced games.

One of my favorites is 7.5, Immaterial and Missing Power, a fighting game, which is different than their normal lineup (they're mostly vertically scrolling shooters). I'm giving it a 9.5/10 which is very high praise as I'm rather picky with my games. It's system is pretty interesting-- at first glance, it's sort of like Marvel vs. Capcom where you have a special bar that builds up through combat. But the game is also very heavily influenced by its predecessors so it's mostly projectile based and even includes bombs (which aren't really used to 'blow things up') and 'grazing' where you dash into projectiles to negate them. What drove me to try this game out was that it was so different than the rest in the series but what I came to realize was that this was probably my favorite fighting game that I've ever played :p Overall it was incredibly well done and really fun to play. I'm also really into the music :] (Touhou games have been known to have high quality composed music)

In the past month I also tried out Gears of War 2 which was pretty fun. It's a very 'aggressive' game compared to most first person shooters. The graphics were nice and the gameplay was smooth. I just couldn't ever get good at rolling and targeting the wall I wanted to take cover on. I like the Horde mode (every game now-a-days has a Horde mode :p), I thought it could have used some variability but it was enjoyable none-the-less. I played a few nights ago with some friends: two casual players and one complete noobie and it took us five hours to beat levels 10-16 on insane :p Overall I think I'd give this game a 7.5/10.

I tried out Left 4 Dead a few nights ago-- I think the game was okay, but you definitely need to play with people you know. It really is ten times more fun when you know the people on the other side. I didn't find this game all that impressive. I'd give it an average of 6.5/10 between playing with people you don't know and playing with your friends.

I went back and beat campaign mode on the original Starcraft earlier this week. It took two days to work through all three races. The first time I played this game was ten years ago XD I couldn't remember anything that happened in the original Starcraft so it felt like I was working through it the first time. Even as a senior to so many games it still retains its title as one of the best games ever made. This is probably beyond biased but I'm going to give it a 10/10. I'm sure it's not that good so don't hold me to this one :p I'm just a guy who loves his classics.

Also played Fallout 2 (that's right, 2) sometime in the past two months. Awesome game. I'm not even going to quantify it with a number :p I should really try out Fallout 3 but I don't have anything capable of playing it at the moment. But from what I've seen, it looks pretty fun. Not sure if I'll like it as much as I liked 2, but it's been one of my favorite franchises so it's a not brainer for me.

Disclaimer: I just realized about three months ago that I only really like 2d games, so don't take any of my reviews to heart :p try them out yourself!

Dec 21, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #292 of 6,938
Trying to finish ff12....I bought it the week it was release...yeah...that was awhile back.

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #294 of 6,938
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Left4Dead

Pros: Fun multiplayer

Cons: Boring singleplayer, aged graphics, no real plot, enemies are fairly stupid

They're Zombies.. what do you expect
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #295 of 6,938
Hey everbody, STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl is only $5 on Steam until tomorrow (Monday), so if you're curious about the game, you might as well buy it for that low of a price. It'll go back to $20 soon.
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #296 of 6,938
finally got around to actually playing uncharted a bit... bought it on January 30th and played it for about 5 minutes today i actually played more than just the opening bit on the boat

reminds me of the good tomb raider games... just without the boobs

so far... 8/10

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #297 of 6,938
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everbody, STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl is only $5 on Steam until tomorrow (Monday), so if you're curious about the game, you might as well buy it for that low of a price. It'll go back to $20 soon.
wink.gif

STALKER is a GREAT game. Very underrated...The environment and atmosphere of that game scares the living crap out of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back