Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 26, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #11,253 of 24,675
Quote:
One of Tarantino's best.  I would put the film at number 3 behind Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill.  

I'm glad to see someone else appreciating Kill Bill...I thought those were some of the most original, entertaining films I've ever seen. Pulp Fiction is certainly Tarantino's masterpiece, but I think I'd rank them exactly as you have. One of Tarantino's forgotten films is True Romance. I don't think he directed it, but I know he was very involved in the project and you can easily tell within the first ten mins that it's got that Tarantino flavor...whatever that means. Also have to give props to Resevoir Dogs. He's way up there on my list of favorite directors, right along side Jim Jarmusch. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #11,254 of 24,675
Oct 26, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #11,255 of 24,675
Pulp Fiction 10/10
Kill Bill 9/10
Inglorious Bastards 9/10     Somehow I was disappointed in the cinema with Inglorious Bastards but fell in love with it on DVD?
Death Proof 2/10

Planet Terror was 4X better! IMO.

Oct 27, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #11,256 of 24,675
Bevin & butt head do America - How is this a thing? The only thing I liked in that movie was the Rob Zombie scene...I mean the entire movie just made me question humanity as a whole. I hated it/10

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #11,257 of 24,675
Quote:
Bevin & butt head do America - How is this a thing? The only thing I liked in that movie was the Rob Zombie scene...I mean the entire movie just made me question humanity as a whole. I hated it/10

If you want to see a more impressive segment of Mike Judge's work, go watch the first 15min of Idiocracy. The rest of the film is just okay, but the beginning is pure genius...and incredibly entertaining.

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #11,258 of 24,675
Idiocracy is amazing. I love that movie so much.

"Go away...'batin."

Quote:
 If you want to see a more impressive segment of Mike Judge's work, go watch the first 15min of Idiocracy. The rest of the film is just okay, but the beginning is pure genius...and incredibly entertaining.

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #11,260 of 24,675
Somehow I was disappointed in the cinema with Inglorious Bastards but fell in love with it on DVD?

I agree with this on the idea that there is no reprieve or escape (except for a popcorn run) at the big screen.
Movies like this create a sense that the film can only be endured if you distance yourself from the material.
Being aware of the genre manipulation is somehow easier in a personal setting,without a crowd.
It can be seen as very dark satire or you can just excuse yourself for a moment at home.
Particularily true,in my case,with viewing The Devils Rejects at the cinema vs. home,where I viewed it multiple times for the soundtrack alone.

One of my all time Tarantino (writer) favorites is Natural Born Killers 8.9/10,directed by Oliver Stone.
Kalifornia 7.9/10 is a memorable film of that genre too,from the 90's.

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #11,261 of 24,675
I had no idea Tarantino was invovled with NBK...I think that's on Netflix streaming acutally....I need to see that again....I saw it once when it came out, but sounds like it would be worth a repeat viewing.

Morbid: LOL, Dax Shepard is a very underrated actor, IMO. That scene was hilarious.

5Aces: I think we're in the minority as liking Devil's Rejects better than House of 1000 corpses....I also thought what Zombie did with the Halloween mythology was pretty entertaining, but not many people agree with me on that. I loved that he found a guy to play Michael Myers that was physically scary as hell. I thought it heightened the fear response a bit. I still put the original first two Halloween films on a pedestal as probably my two favorite slasher films of all time, but I did enjoy the Zombie versions.

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #11,262 of 24,675
So many parts of Devils Rejects and Halloween showed Rob Zombie's understanding of the American horror style and history. He also created surprises showing he could be both classic and new at the same time. The casting was perfect, the pace was great, of course the music was dead on and the photography was wonderful. Maybe the only movie I wasn't sure about was the last Halloween 2 he did. Actually house of 1000 Corpses was kind of a pale glory to how he perfected his craft in Devils Rejects and Halloween 1. 

You really couldn't ask for more from that style of movie. At times he was way over the top brutal but it's that shock value that has always been the hallmark of a good drive-in flick. He has an original sense of humor that is clearly defined and maybe makes the movies slightly different from mid-1970s flair. I think at some point he could actually make a really good Frankenstein if he had the funds available. Maybe 15 million would be what it would take to do a good modern reproduction of the classic. So many don't even try it only because it's nearly impossible to do as good or better as Bride of Frankenstein or Frankenstein. Still I think there is room for a modern gory remake. Especially with CGI and computers they could render a pretty good set to equal the original set. He should definitely keep the style and time period the same if it was ever done.

And we know Rob Zombie has a wonderful witch movie coming out soon!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lords_of_Salem_(film)

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #11,263 of 24,675
Watched Avengers last week and loved it! Might watch it again this weekend, love the action
Blu- ray felt like I was in the theater. Whole experience was enjoyable
Recommend if like action movies

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #11,265 of 24,675
Jeff,Who Lives at Home    6/10
It's like harmless enjoyable sitcom.

Coincedentally,I watched this yesterday on Netflix.

Agree,especially the sitcom comparison,as that's where Jason Segal hails from.
Noteably,Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared,both school comedy sitcoms.
Funny to watch Charlie Hunnam from Undeclared as slender ladies man 'Lloyd' go on to play "Jax Teller" in Sons Of Anarchy...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back