Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 24, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #6,227 of 24,675
The Expendables - 3.5/5

Stallone's botox makes him incapable of having anything but a sour expression on his face throughout the movie.

Jet Li has the worst role among the other stars, his character just gets beat up almost all the time.

Jason Statham is the real star though, comes across as funny and badass at the same time.

The good parts about the movie are the effects and the explosions. Taking down huge objects with explosions was really well done. Nice cameo scene with Schwarzenegger/Willis/Stallone.

The bad parts - plot non-existent (but hey, we didn't watch this movie for its plot), terrible acting by Stallone, who as the producer/director, hogs the spotlight all through.

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #6,228 of 24,675
killers(2 / 10)

quite funny sometimes,  but too long for me because most scenes are the same, Jan is quite stupid dont see her husband is going to be killed and continue acting like a child, I hate movies when characters act like a moron.

I prefer kill myself to see this again.

Aug 24, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #6,230 of 24,675
tdockweiler:

Rules of the Game (Jean Renoir) 3/4
I guess I didn't really fully "get" this movie. This is one where I feel I really just need to see it a second time.

I'm impressed you reviewed it and am glad to see some older movies reviewed here lately.

--

I watched Oldboy for the bajillionith time last night. You know, I like Sympathy for Mr. Vengance better. Whew, glad I got that off my chest. I think it's more interesting and allegorical. Oldboy still rocks of course, and there is the classic long fight shot. That was recently copped in Repo Men, among many others. 8/10

Aug 24, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #6,231 of 24,675
Black Dynamite - I really enjoyed it, an excellent and well-constructed goofy movie.

4/5

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #6,232 of 24,675
Barry Lyndon (for the 3rd time)

10/10.

3 hours of pure art by a true genius.

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #6,234 of 24,675
"The Delta Force" - 2/10 

I've seen some 80's action flicks and liked them, but that was bad beyond reason, script, acting, everything was really subpar.
The soundtrack is ridiculous, it consists of the same exact tune under every damn scene.

Aug 25, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #6,235 of 24,675
The Day after Tomorrow 3/4
Some good ideas, but this movie is beyond dumb. The world is coming to an end and all you get to see is a man hiking to New York to save his son, people running from escaped Wolves and something involving sick children stuck in a Hospital. Oh yeah and lots of cool disaster special effects.
Yet despite all this, I love this movie. You remember the part where all the characters are trying to run away from the freezing weather? How could anyone put that in a movie and expect anyone to take it seriously? I have to admit I also love "Independence Day".
That is also beyond dumb as well, but I still love it. They're not really good movies, just ones I enjoy watching for entertainment.

The Whale Warrior 2/4
I love the series on TV called "Whale Wars". I haven't watched a TV series regularly since "Macgyver" and this is the first! Because of this I wanted to check out this documentary. It's worth a rental, but you'd have to be a huge fan of the TV show.

Mission Impossible 3 3.5/4
I'm not a huge fan of the movies, but this is the best one yet. They actually put some good actors in the movie. To this day I've never see a Tom Cruise movie that I truly hated. I don't understand the dislike for him. Wow, he's a scientologist, says a few stupid things and jumps on Oprah's precious couch..big deal! I bet this man will be making movies until he's 70. He's actually one of the few action stars that isn't that bad of an actor.

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #6,236 of 24,675

Quote:
Barry Lyndon (for the 3rd time)

10/10.

3 hours of pure art by a true genius.

Oh man.  Cinematography at the edge.  Filming a movie by natural candlelight?  Are you effing kidding me?!  Kubrick was a genius.  I still haven't seen anything like it.  It even took Spielberg years to get a grip on.  

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #6,237 of 24,675
Aug 26, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #6,239 of 24,675
Repo Men, 4.5/10

Could have been better. The violence wasn't really needed in such graphic magnitude; it actually took away from the story IMO. I'm pretty sure there was a story there anyways.

Aug 26, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #6,240 of 24,675
This thread is like an itch you can't leave alone. Time to visit the past again.

The Big Lebowski. For generally being awesome, and worthy of Roger's Profanisaurus.

Pulp Fiction / Reservoir Dogs. For establishing Tarantino as great, and obliging you to watch everything else he did. And keep watching, in case he ever does anything especially good again. It's all been a bit meh...

Freaky Friday. For being the last time you saw anyone actually having a whale of a time making a film. And without intending any single entendre, Curtis channeling Nigel Tufnell at the end. 

Mean Girls. Pre-sub-Hilton/Ritchie contender Lohan being an actually very good actress.

Pride & Prejudice. The 2005 Firth / Ehle version. Accept no substitutes. Especially the one that was done during that weird period when all contracts absolutely required Knightley to be in any film whether in production or development.

Under Siege. Die Hard on a boat, but a good one and with a very decent cast. My Man Seagal actually shines. But then I like his early / decent budget stuff and weep for the present East European nonsense. (Though not to his face, obviously...)

The Three Lives of Thomasina.  Densely plotted Greyfriars Bobby of cats. Everyone should have this. Ultimate badass Patrick McGoohan stars. And what is the trippy hallucinating cat Egyptian dream sequence doing in a Disney film?  Ruling. That's what.

in fact, get a swatch of........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqqJGHcQll0&feature=related

to get some of the surreal funeral cortege / bagpipes / Susan Hampshire as a Witch effect. And this is just a side plot.... Eat your hearts out, Hollywood back-of-a-fag-packet scriptwriters.

I won't mention The Railway Children (Jeffries version) because you all have that. And stop crying at the back there!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back