Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 26, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #6,241 of 24,651
Tonight I sat here watching "WWII in HD" for FIVE HOURS STRAIGHT. It's really one of the best World War 2 documentaries I've seen. I can't really compare it to "The World at War" since I'm only on hour 12 of like 30 or something!
I incorrectly thought maybe this movie was just one of those cheap low budget $5 bin documentaries, but it's definitely not.

They said it's "inspired" by the book "The Story of World War II" that i'm reading, but i'm not sure how true this is.

Of course it's not really HD, but I don't care. They'll put a B&W 4X3 movie on a blu-ray and call it 1080P!

So as for now it may end up getting a 4/4. If they miss mentioning anything I'm expecting to still hear about i'm going to be mad. Ignoring the Holocaust is just so wrong, at the very least mention it briefly.
It's definitely told from the American side, but there's dozens of other documentaries to watch.

BTW have you seen "Why We Fight" (Frank Capra version)? That movie is laughable, but at the same time still interesting to watch. They made the soviets during World War II look like perfect angels!

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #6,243 of 24,651

Quote:
Of course it's not really HD, but I don't care. They'll put a B&W 4X3 movie on a blu-ray and call it 1080P!

it may not be the case with your wwII movie, but that does not mean that all black and white movies that are 4:3 dont look good, check out casablanca and the third man for great examples of old movies that look great on blu ray. And also, technically 1080p is the amount of vertical lines, so even 4:3 movies can be 1080p  
wink_face.gif

Aug 27, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #6,245 of 24,651

Quote:
it may not be the case with your wwII movie, but that does not mean that all black and white movies that are 4:3 dont look good, check out casablanca and the third man for great examples of old movies that look great on blu ray. And also, technically 1080p is the amount of vertical lines, so even 4:3 movies can be 1080p  
wink_face.gif

I guess what I meant to say is that sometimes it can be misleading to call a movie that's B&W and in 4X3 an true HD movie. At least not the source material. I know what you mean about picture quality on some of the older  movies. I'm a HUGE fan of the Criterion discs and have no problems paying up to $40 for some of them, even if B&W. So far my favorite was the blu-ray of "Paris, Texas". It's hard to believe that movie was made in the 80's and looks that good! I don't have "The Third Man" on blu-ray (just DVD) but Carol Reed's "Night Train To Munich" looks pretty good for a movie from 1940.

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #6,246 of 24,651
no%20country%20for%20old%20men.jpg

No Country For Old Men - 9/10

With the Coens - more than any other filmmakers I'm familiar with - everything comes down to execution and a meticulous balance of the elements. The same applies again here: A solid well-paced narrative, good cinematography, dialogue that you can't stop listening to, and an ensemble that does it justice. Thank Cormac McCarthy for the story, but the Coens give the film an excellent atmosphere that makes everything feel so intense yet restrained and translates the thrill seamlessly to the big screen. The direction they give to how sound (and the absence of it) is handled in the film is especially notable for contributing to that atmosphere.

No Country For Old Men is gritty, almost devoid of any sort of musical score, and desolate like the the Texan landscape it uses as its backdrop. The action is intense, but not glorified or sensationalized. *spoiler*It's notable how Moss' death was as unceremonious as a lead character's death could get as if it was just shown in hindsight.*spoiler* There are a lot of parts with very little going on so I understand people who might say that it's slow and boring, but I like how the tension builds-up towards an "explosive" scene.

Every time I write something about The Coen Brothers it seems like I end up saying the same things, but they're so consistently solid that I can't help myself. It feels as if they're not notably excellent at any particular thing except for their knack for blending all the elements of a great film together as perfectly as anyone can.

Aug 27, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #6,247 of 24,651
Agreed an all points Fuseboxx, the Coens seem more and more incapable of making mistakes.

I can't really say the same about Jean-Pierre Jeunet, after seeing his latest, Micmacs à tire-larigot.
Misunderstand me correctly, as expected it is well worth the watch, with all those characteristically odd and sympathetic Jeunet characters.
It's cute, funny and inventive, but it lacs that satirical 'kick' which makes his earlier movies so special. Well, to be honest the kick is there, it's just all too blunt, crude.

Quoting Jack Giroux:

"This is all good solid fun, but hopefully Jeunet brings a bit more substance the next time around. He's typically not a style-over-substance type of guy."

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #6,248 of 24,651

Inception.  7/10

Good film, if a little depressing - dreams within dreams ad infinitum etc. basically theres no way to know whats real or a dream, so you leave the movie feeling a little cheated.

Excellent cast (Tom Hardy - a future huuge star) and a very good script. Nolan did a great job in covering any plot holes with an extemely well thought out plot.

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #6,251 of 24,651
perfectblue500.jpg

Perfect Blue - 8/10

Loved how the film was able to blur what was real and what was not in an almost Mullholland Dr. sort of way. The film started out typically enough, but gradually evolved into this dark and unsettling mystery/psychological thriller that pulled of that paranoid atmosphere brilliantly. I'm not exactly convinced how the mystery was resolved, but it's a gorgeous mind**** of a film that I wouldn't mind watching again.

I got this because I read that Darren Aronofsky's upcoming Black Swan was somehow based on Perfect Blue. If that's really the case, then I'm really psyched for Black Swan now.

Aug 28, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #6,252 of 24,651
 The Proposition on Netflix. 7/10.

Nice cinematic composition. A unique setting. A bit heavy on the gore. There was a scene where some nudity could have been shown and it wasn't. Not sure about that. The characters were all weak save the Captain. Had a Disney-esque ending.

An interesting "Western." Hardly my favorite of the genre, though.

Aug 28, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #6,253 of 24,651

8.5/10

Holy crap, this movie was so good! I went in with zero expectations and was blown away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back