Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 26, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #4,458 of 24,647
Just saw it on its opening night here. District 9 was amazing. The cuts didn't seem as bad as I expected them to be
smily_headphones1.gif

The first part was almost like The Fugitive while the entire feel, style and atmosphere of the film felt something like 28 Days Later (minus the great music).

Not exactly unique but it felt like a refreshing take on the age old aliens-on-earth concept; and, the way the alien race and their technology were depicted was fascinating.

It also works some ways as a subtle (okay maybe not so subtle) commentary against the big corporations and the media.

The lead actor was great. He actually reminded me at first of Martin Freeman as Artur Dent in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy so it was impressive how he was able to maintain the thrill of the story while carrying the drama and action as well.

Lots of engaging action, cool weapons and gadgets (was that a gravity gun he used to throw the pig?! like in half-life 2?!)... lots of gore (it really sucks they had to cut it here to pass it off with a PG-13 rating) and nicely injected emotional undertones as well.

The way they used different kinds of shots from what was happening in the film... to CCTV footage... to news captures and documentary-style clips was really well done.

Really enjoyed it. Might be the best new film I've seen all year.

9/10

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #4,459 of 24,647
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(it really sucks they had to cut it here to pass it off with a PG-13 rating)

Huh, you mean for your location? If so, where's that? It's every bit of an R in the states.

--

I watched Apocalypto for the first time since the theaters. It would be my favorite Gibson film easily. 7/10

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #4,462 of 24,647
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh, you mean for your location? If so, where's that? It's every bit of an R in the states.

Yeah they cut out the most gory scenes and took out the f-bombs that they can to pass it off here in the philippines as PG-13.

But like I said, the cuts weren't as bad as I expected although there were a few awkward transitions and still a considerable amount of "Fook! Fook! Fook! Fook!"
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #4,464 of 24,647
documentary - the call of the wild - 8/10

about chris mccandless of 'into the wild' fame, interesting to see the documentary which was happening at the same time (literally) as sean penn was doing the film

Aug 28, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #4,465 of 24,647
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - 7/10
Pretty brutal and depressing but quite good if you're into that kinda thing.

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #4,468 of 24,647
District 9: 3/10

I haven't been this disappointed in a movie for some time.

Great premise, great setup and then no payoff. What could have been a great movie devolved into a Generic Gun Fight with a Generic Bad Guy.

There isn't enough of a story for you to care about any of the characters and zero explanation for the Generic Bad Guy.

I only give it a 3 because of the original premise and terrific special effects.

Save your money and get it on NetFlix if you're desperate to see it.

Also, I appreciate the non-Hollywood ending, but it feels contrived and deliberately calculated for a sequel and possible franchise. Count me out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back