Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 23, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #1,786 of 24,687
Michael Clayton - 6/10
- I wanted to like this movie a lot, but I only liked it a little. I'm a George Clooney fan, but this wasn't his best. It was tolerable, but could've been better.

Dark Knight - 8.5/10 (non-IMAX version)
- I had to go to the bathroom pretty much throughout the movie, so perhaps I could have enjoyed it more if I just got up and went, but I hate missing parts of movies when I'm at the theater. I'm going to check it out on IMAX this weekend...I think I'll stay away from the JUMBO-sized soda this time, LOL.
I'm not a Heath Ledger fan (thought he was kind of a ******), but his portrayal of The Joker was fantastic. The only thing I feel was missing from the movie was the billionaire playboy aspect of Bruce Wayne, I wish they had him flaunt his wealth a little more...maybe a scene or two more. Otherwise, I thought it was pretty bad-to-the-bone.

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #1,787 of 24,687
The Dark Knight - 9.5/10

An absolutely brilliant movie, well directed, wonderfully acted, and honestly portrayed. I loved the darker route Nolan took with "Begins", and Dark Knight takes it several steps farther. Ledger gave me chills, gave a frightening look into an evil and twisted mind. Can't wait to watch it again.

Jul 25, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #1,788 of 24,687
The Babysitters: 6/10. Provocative, but unfortunately unsubstantial. It's about a girl who turns from being a babysitter to running a whole prostitution ring under the cover of babysitting jobs. It's an average drama, but doesn't really stay on the mind.

Jul 26, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #1,791 of 24,687
I watched the Dark Night (6/10) again - at IMAX again - today. I would give it a 8/10 if it ended <spoiler>right after Rachel is killed (still not sure if I believe it) and the Joker is basking his head out the limo</spoiler>. Now that would of been sweet. One other thing bugged me <spoiler>how is Bruce Wayne's Penthouse the safest place in Gotham if a bullet can bust its glass?</spoiler>

I understand my semi-tempered rating is in the minority though. Everyone I know real life, has heaped praise upon it. It was a great time and well worth the dough. My little brother gave it a 10/10 and has watched it 3 times already.

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #1,794 of 24,687
The Dark Knight - 7/10

A lower rating than the majority, partly because I forgot to bring my spectacles with me so I couldn't keep track of some of the faster action sequences, and partly because I had never seen any other Batman movie so some of the things were a bit unclear to me.

Still, it was good and the joker was so damn creepy O_O

Jul 26, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #1,795 of 24,687
"Batman | The Dark Knight | IMAX" [9.2/10]: In terms of a roller-coaster ride of entertainment, the classic blockbuster action-adventure summer thrillfest, can you beat this film? In my opinion, not this summer you can't. Great film, lots of fun. Heath Ledger's acting effort was phenomenal. I would be happy if he won an academy award, because I would believe that it wasn't a gesture of sympathy because he died. The only Batman film villain that was ever really scary for me. I mean real-life scary, not comic book, movie villain scary. I was under-impressed with just about every other performance in the film with the possible exception of Gary Oldman. Fortunately, the synergy of the various performances was greater than the sum of its parts. Maggie Gyllenhaal was so miscast it hurt. I don't think that she is ugly as was mentioned in a previous post. However, both visually and performance style-wise, this was not her role. I kept thinking through the entire film, "who would have been better in this role?" (I really didn't come up with an answer, but I kept thinking Natalie Portman, Jessica Beal, Reese Witherspoon...) In some of the film's most potentially violent scenes they clearly chose to cut-away probably to qualify for the PG-13 rating. I predict that a "directors-cut" DVD version of the film will include these scenes. The "cut-aways" were kind of obvious, though I don't think that they detracted from the flow of the plot. This is clearly a film best seen in IMAX. I thought the sound was incredible. I did spot some continuity errors. (or else I missed some poorly cut flashbacks...) I went into this film thinking that it was going to be a 10/10. I backed-off of this a bit because of the issues discussed above. However, all things considered, I definitely feel that this is the summer movie of 2008. If you haven't seen it yet, pay the extra money, travel the extra distance if possible, and see it in IMAX! Who do you think would have been better in the role of Rachel Dawes?

Jul 26, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #1,796 of 24,687
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - 7/10

A very dark drama, told in the (oh-so-very in-vogue) "flashback" style. One of those movies where the situation just keeps getting worse & worse for our main characters. Phillip Seymour Hoffmann is outstanding & over-the-top as his usual arsehole self.

Marisa Tomei looks absolutely incredible (worth the price of rental herself), and has an well done, understated role here.

The show-stealer though, imo, is Albert Finney as PSH's father.

Jul 27, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #1,797 of 24,687
Harold and Maude - 7.5/10

A boy who can't get any attention from his parents starts lashing out by faking suicide. A Jaguar sport hearse was a big plus (yes, an itty bitty two-seater Jag made into a hearse!). However, I thought it got way too positive at the end, and should have continued in a darker fashion.

Jul 27, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #1,800 of 24,687
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - 7/10

A very dark drama, told in the (oh-so-very in-vogue) "flashback" style. One of those movies where the situation just keeps getting worse & worse for our main characters. Phillip Seymour Hoffmann is outstanding & over-the-top as his usual arsehole self.

Marisa Tomei looks absolutely incredible (worth the price of rental herself), and has an well done, understated role here.

The show-stealer though, imo, is Albert Finney as PSH's father.

Just watched this one earlier today and pretty much agree on everything you said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back