Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 17, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #1,201 of 24,669
I'm maybe half an hour into "a scanner darkly" and i have to say i'm more annoyed than anything else.

If it was supposed to be fun to watch a trio of paranoid drug addicts act up, they could have done it without woody harrelson, or keanu reeves, or robert downey jr. doing his very best impersonation of jeff goldblum.

ugh.

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #1,202 of 24,669
Oh well, the book was good
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #1,203 of 24,669
Oh, I'm sure. I wish hollywood would stick to action flicks when they rape PKD stories, though.

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #1,207 of 24,669
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The assassination of Jesse James - 9/10

2x. Watched this about a week ago. The full title's a mouthful: The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford. A really great ensemble cast, but Brad Pitt (James) stands out, and Casey Affleck (Ford) is so good you wonder where he's been hiding until now. Midway through you realize that the film is also a cautionary tale about mythmaking and celebrity, which Pitt probably knows something about. The pace didn't bother me at all (it's shot so well), but if you're looking for a shoot-em-up Western, this ain't it. It's also kinda funny to see political professional James Carville do a walk-on as the Governor of Missouri. All in all, pretty impressive.

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #1,210 of 24,669
FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL: It didn't have any "Something About Mary" hysterics, but still very funny. If you've ever been through a painful dumping, chances are you'll relate to, and laugh at, at least some of it.

Apr 20, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #1,214 of 24,669
Waitress - I know the writer/director was horribly murdered before the film was released, and thus people want to be supportive for this quirky, small town girl overcomes lot in life tale. Still it's easily the worst film I've seen in a year. Takes many short-cuts with assuming-the-audience-is-on-my-side filmmaking (partially because every character is painted so outlandish) and for a morality tale, incredibly disingenuous. It's trying so hard to earn its eventual sentiment, that its stunningly so. And since it's still a transformative piece, could be boiled done to 12 minutes since the big, generic moment (short-cut number 317) occurs very late in the film (and outcome is completely skipped - short-cut number 324). Honestly, I can't think of a recent film that fails more at what it is trying to do.

There's a long list of films to see instead - Juno, Junebug, Secretary, Heavy, Amelie...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back