Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 11, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #1,172 of 24,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally found the otherworldly Hannibal Lecter to be completely absurd and unrealistic.

Okay, I see where you're coming from. I was just surprised because I've never read anyone completely rip the Lambs as I have many times with Crash. If that's how you feel, it's completely valid. Me, I never approached the movie that seriously - well maybe in my youth - instead more like pulp told with a straight face.

Apr 12, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #1,175 of 24,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I see where you're coming from. I was just surprised because I've never read anyone completely rip the Lambs as I have many times with Crash. If that's how you feel, it's completely valid. Me, I never approached the movie that seriously - well maybe in my youth - instead more like pulp told with a straight face.

See, that's the problem in my eyes. If you're making pulp, then it should be presented as pulp. If you're attempting to make a serious psychological thrilller, don't create Jason Vorhees as your villian. Lecter is about a notch below him on the ridiculous scale, and that sucks my interest right out of the film.

BlessingX, can't answer your questions. I found it impossible to weed through my disgust of Lecter to really concentrate on whatever plot or meaning the film might have had.

Apr 12, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #1,176 of 24,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I'd have to say there are plenty of great films that are otherworldly, absurd and/or unrealistic, so my problems aren't there. I do have them though, but mostly I criticize Lambs because it's greatly overrated. It's a competent enough genre film if people stopped raving it. Thing is it doesn't in the end amount to anything besides a fun ride so calling it great is strange. I person may really really like it, but that's different, no? It could be a great thriller, but a great film? Do we delve deeper into the darkness of mans soul (and believe me typing that corny phrase even makes me nauseous)? Anything from Clarices side confronting evil? If anyone can tell me what's at its core I'd love to know. Or someone who's read the book series? Is there any there, there? I may be missing something. It's been known to happen hundreds of times.

Hell, I even preferred the much hated, over the top Cape Fear remake of the same year. As problematic as it was, at least there was a narrative center there.

I suspect I do agree with you EyeAmEye on many points. I was surprised people were suddenly rolling their eyes at Hannible eating <spoilers> live brains later in the series </spoilers>. Where was that critical edge at the fava beans and a nice chianti line?

Anyway, Lambs is at least much better than Crash. Course so is a nap.

OMG, blessingx - are you criticizing a film that average people think is GREAT? Don't you know that there is no bigger sin than chopping down any work of art that the masses feel the need to bow down to?

Apr 12, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #1,178 of 24,690
It's all in the bell curve. Either you are a long tail or you are not.

Apr 12, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #1,179 of 24,690
One Missed Call. roomate really wanted to see it, and we didn't have a backup movie that day.

I don't think I'm a fan of the horror genre. Was quite bored, and the ringtone just didn't do it for me. Something about the ringtone in the original was just that much better.

Next up..my roomate wants to watch Alien vs Predator: Requiem. I'm running away.

Apr 12, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #1,180 of 24,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's all in the bell curve. Either you are a long tail or you are not.

On the bell curve.
wink.gif
Still, I can't dispute that!

Apr 12, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #1,181 of 24,690
Anyway, I'm re-watching Kubrick's last 5 films as they've been released in blu-ray format. Eyes Wide Shut was butchered by somebody cropping it to 1.85 aspect ratio, so I won't be replacing my 1.66 copy, despite the fact that the new version is without the digital 'fig leaves' in the orgy scene. Full Metal Jacket is a wash, with regard to aspect ratio, so the extra resolution make it worth it to replace. The Shining actually works better at 1.85, while 2001 looks spectacular on bu-ray with a high def projector at 104 inches. Kubrick is the only director I can think of that really deserves the genius label. Antonioni is close, but not quite there, and Fellini is a bit further back, with Welles bringing up the rear. Based on the strength of "No Country For Old Men", the Coen Brothers might[/] be joining this select company.

Apr 12, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #1,182 of 24,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the bell curve.
wink.gif
Still, I can't dispute that!

On the bell curve, or under the bell curve. Depends on perspective.

Apr 12, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #1,183 of 24,690
Speaking of 2001 (which I'm watching right now as I type this), does anyone else think that HAL (a letter shift away from IBM), is actually in modern context a self-aware version of Big Blue? Here's a computer smarter and more able than the humans that it 'serves', in fact probably smarter than the humans that created it, and certainly far above the astronauts it is working with. Just like Big Blue beating Kasparov would probably despise playing against a puny chess pretender like myself, it must grate against HAL to be subservient to these lesser beings. That would explain the 'malfunction' that eventually allows him to murder almost everyone on board. Everyone except Bowman.

To switch contexts for a moment, at the end of 2001, as Bowman passes through infinity and time ceases to be a constraint, Bowman is reborn as the star-child. Everyone assumes the black monolith is placed on earth (and the moon, and Jupiter) by some alien, superior life form. But if Bowman is the star-child broken free from time, could it not have been him that places the monoliths? We assume that the end of 2001 is him re-visiting earth at present time. But could he be re-visiting earth 3 million years ago, planting the seeds among the ape-men that would then in turn insure his own transcendent journey?

Apr 12, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #1,184 of 24,690
Oh yes, and HAL being the poster child for hubris, which is defined quite well on wikipedia:

"An accusation of hubris often implies that suffering or punishment will follow, similar to the occasional pairing of hubris and Nemesis in the Greek world. The proverb "pride goes before a fall" is thought to sum up the modern definition of hubris."

Some might criticize the exposition between Bowman and HAL regarding HAL's lipreading ability as simply plot advancement, but I think it shows HAL committing the sin of hubris, leading to his (it's) eventual downfall, replete with dying pleas falling on the now-mechanical Bowman disconnecting the higher brain functions.

Apr 12, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #1,185 of 24,690
I'm back after a few days of being out of town, so I can get back to my regularly scheduled movies
biggrin.gif

Horton Hears A Who: 3/10. Unremarkable, messy animation starring a few big names. I especially disliked the obvious theological overtones. I didn't laugh out loud once, but some of the jokes are admittedly clever. Not good enough to lift the rating to a pass grade though IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back