Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 1, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #21,961 of 24,650
Thank you for this post. This would have flew under the radar from me and now knowing it exists, I’d have been deeply disappointed if not seen.
This looks like a must watch. Ben Foster is the man anyway and basically whatever movie he’s cast in, it’s usually a very good film.

You will not be disappointed. His newly found 18 year-old New Zealand co-star supports and maybe surpasses him; awardwiningly.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #21,962 of 24,650

With 100% score from Rotten Tomatoes, Leave No Trace ends up a spectacular success. Probably not from what you would expect and a very different movie. Some of the best acting ever takes this slow and somber tale into a meaningful experience which stays with you after. It’s a story of humanity and struggle of light and dark. But in the end somehow you feel you just saw something that was real or a true story?

10-10

Have to put this on the must see list. So much awesome stuff actors, tv films and music, coming out of New Zealand of late it piques my interest.

Oct 2, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #21,963 of 24,650
probably for the best that he didn't question those parts. the movie while clearly giving a vibe for kids, has various pretty deep stuff, and not fun ones.
Well, I'm starting to think that either I was watching this movie selectively or I have a heart made of stone:wink: Or maybe I just wanted to go back to the happy moments of childhood with whom Winnie the Pooh connects me.
By the way: can you recommend an interesting movie to watch with a five-year-old? Not infantile, funny, but with a message?

Oct 2, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #21,964 of 24,650
Well, I'm starting to think that either I was watching this movie selectively or I have a heart made of stone:wink: Or maybe I just wanted to go back to the happy moments of childhood with whom Winnie the Pooh connects me.
By the way: can you recommend an interesting movie to watch with a five-year-old? Not infantile, funny, but with a message?

Artificial Intelligence.?

Oct 2, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #21,965 of 24,650
Have to put this on the must see list. So much awesome stuff actors, tv films and music, coming out of New Zealand of late it piques my interest.

The acting makes the movie, as well as the script, but there is also a style that is new. I can’t really describe the style; you’ll notice it. I don’t think it’s a New Zealand movie, only the actress is from there?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #21,967 of 24,650
The acting makes the movie, as well as the script, but there is also a style that is new. I can’t really describe the style; you’ll notice it. I don’t think it’s a New Zealand movie, only the actress is from there?

I believe you are right that the actress is the NZ link not the production itself. I simply meant that of late NZ seems to be producing a lot of talent disproportionate to their population.

Oct 3, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #21,968 of 24,650
Artificial Intelligence.?

I would disagree, both as a film to recommend, and as a film for a 5 year old. I'm a big fan of Kubrick, and generally speaking I'm a fan of Spielberg, and felt that their styles did not mesh well in the movie. Also, I don't remember feeling that it really had an advantages over Disney's Pinocchio unless a tonal inversion is what the viewer is after - where Disney's Pinocchio is simple and somewhat saccharine, A.I. is heavily layered and dark and at times dismal. Ultimately it felt muddled to me, but if you like questions in a fictional universe that has a lot of constraints and something that doesn't provide clear answers, there's some value to that. My memories of the movie are feelings of sadness and frustration (which I'm usually ok with, and maybe it's the sharp lines I saw between Kubrick's style and Spielberg's style not meshing well that broke my willing suspension of disbelief in a way that I especially didn't like, mixed in... YMMV).

While for much older audiences, I still hold Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell (1995) and Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (2004) as some of the best philosophical explorations of the ethics of being alive and intelligence, and also the Stand Alone Complex TV series (seasons 1 and 2), and the recent prequel series (Arise), and I especially recommend watching all the Tachikoma Specials that were part of every episode (the experimental battle tanks have an experimental self-learning A.I. which collectively synchronizes every night and over the course of the series you get to see the evolution of those characters and the shorts with them are a way to see them exploring their emerging sapience with each other). I personally appreciate that the characters with the GitS world are presented as aware of our past human history and literary culture, that we've been debating intelligence and life is for some time, with characters in the movies and shows referencing and quoting other (real) media and books from our past. Movies like A.I. feel oddly disconnected from all that, as if it's existing in some alternate history timeline where none of the literature and debates on these topics have happened.

And one of these days I'll get around to actually read the GitS graphic novels I have sitting on my shelf...

Anyway, my recommendation for a movie for a 5 y/o is My Neighbor Totoro, for lots of reasons.

Oct 4, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #21,969 of 24,650
Speaking of movies from NZ, I watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople a couple of weeks ago and it was great.

For 5 year olds I'd recommend sticking with Disney and Pixar movies. Also if the Moomins (the 90's ones) are available in English, they should be good for kids too.

Oct 4, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #21,970 of 24,650
Speaking of movies from NZ, I watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople a couple of weeks ago and it was great.

For 5 year olds I'd recommend sticking with Disney and Pixar movies. Also if the Moomins (the 90's ones) are available in English, they should be good for kids too

The Moomins is a fairy tale of my childhood ... Great, but I've always been afraid of The Groke, and you ?:wink: There is also a movie version of The Children of Noisy Village, probably the best children's book I know. Has any of you seen this movie?

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #21,971 of 24,650
Passage to India - 5/10

David Leans "Bridge on the River Kwai" is one of my favorite movies, but I didn't like this much. This one is kind of a chore to sit through.
It's kind of weird watching this after what's going on in the USA currently. Not surprised it's written by a man.

What's also annoying is the director felt he had to cast a white man as an indian person. The excuse was that there wasn't enough good indian actors at the time. Uh huh.
I swear they had more than one white man in this cast as a different race.

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #21,972 of 24,650
Bad Day at Black Rock - 8/10

Pretty good old classic from 1955 with a good cast.

Directed by John Sturges (director of "The Great Escape") and starring Spency Tracy, Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine.
Also Robert Ryan from The Longest Day etc.

PS also watching "Ozark" season 1. Started out being very good, but now it's like they ran out of ideas. I barely make it through each episode. Only on Episode 6!
So far about a 6/10. Maybe higher if I can finish the season!
Some of the humor is sick and not funny at all. Too much sex/nudity too :beyersmile:

Only good series on Netflix so far i've seen is "Narcos".

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #21,975 of 24,650
The Right Stuff - 10/10

Easily one of the best movies ever made and pretty much near perfect. I can't think of much I'd change in this movie.
As you may know, it's about the early Mercury space program and breaking the sound barrier.

One reason alone to watch this is that it's directed by Philip Kaufman. Cinematographer is also Caleb Deschanel.
Sam Shepard also won an oscar for playing Chuck Yeager in this movie. Perfect cast too with a lot of now famous actors.

BTW what's interesting is how much "Apollo 13" borrowed from this movie. I can think of maybe 4 or 5 different parts.

Also, this is 3 hours and 13 minutes and it seems to fly by. They manage to make the whole movie interesting and there's even a lot of comedy in it.
Too bad it was a box office failure when it came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back