Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 5, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #16,142 of 24,635
  I agree.  4.7 inch 720p screen isn't too bad at all.  I prefer the color with the amoled display to my monitor as well.

I have a note 2 amoled the colours are so oversaturated it´s silly. I do like the black level of course :)

But the main problem is the size and harder on the eyes with display close vs further away.

I bet if you get a decent sized plasma or better OLED or projector setup you will start dislike phone movie viewing in no time.

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #16,144 of 24,635
Ida (2013): 9/10

It's armed with an empathetic script, but comes across as chilly and taut, though it's not without some (remarkable) humor. It's also probably the most beautifully shot film I've seen in the last year or so--I expect that I'll take some of its shots with me to the grave. Its pacing is deliberate, but it's also surprisingly short (an hour and twenty minutes), and it didn't feel particularly long to me, nor could I imagine trimming it in any way. Really an interesting little exercise in film-making, and one that takes root in your mind after the credits have rolled. There's a lot to unpack here--I'm very glad that I saw it.

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #16,145 of 24,635
  "The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty" [8.4/10]: I was surprised that I liked this film so much. I'm not generally a Ben Stiller fan. However, the movie was more than entertaining. It was "moving." As the viewer, I was engaged the entire time. Somewhat reminiscent of "Forrest Gump." (though I wouldn't place Walter Mitty quite in that league...) Definitely worth seeing if you haven't...

I put this one off forever and only recently watched it on HBOGO. I enjoyed it quite a lot, as well. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #16,146 of 24,635

Edge of Tomorrow: 9/10

One of the best movies I've seen all year. I give it a 9, because of the plot and Tom Cruise's performance. Also because of the fact that they manage the scene repetitions without torturing the viewer along with the protagonist.

Quote:
No Country for Old Men killed me. It was paced like a geriatric on a Sunday walk. After several hours of nothing happening...just when I thought a showdown of epic proportions is about to occur...the movie ended out of no where, unresolved. I curse that movie for wasting hours of my life.

Couldn't disagree more, honestly. I was hooked from start to finish. I left that movie with a very healthy fear of Javier Bardem.

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #16,147 of 24,635
Frailty. 9/10 I got into it from the start. Child actors which are not the slightest annoying and never seen Paxton this good. Twist in the end not sure about but opens up for debate at least.

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #16,148 of 24,635
  Edge of Tomorrow: 9/10

One of the best movies I've seen all year. I give it a 9, because of the plot and Tom Cruise's performance. Also because of the fact that they manage the scene repetitions without torturing the viewer along with the protagonist.

Had this quick thought with ~30 minutes to go: Rita should have killed Cage IMMEDIATELY after they knew it was the Louvre in Paris.. why didn't she??? It would have bought them SO much time since they no longer have to get to Whitehall etc. on top of preserving his powers.

However, after finishing the movie, I figured the 'quick thought' did not detract from the overall experience.. Just a tiny blemish.

It's a really interesting concept, and I actually thought the execution was quite good as well. In too many films the notion of chronology has been too loosely dealt with, but not in this. The nuances of chronological linearity were handled cautiously, and the resultant was a thrilling and rewarding journey that viewers embark on together with Cage and Rita. Character development was adequate for this genre, and it was cleverly explained in the intertwining timelines, providing for an enjoyable story telling.

Definitely one of the better action films of the year.

8.5/10

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #16,149 of 24,635

Couldn't disagree more, honestly. I was hooked from start to finish. I left that movie with a very healthy fear of Javier Bardem.

Same here...friendo. 

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #16,152 of 24,635

Indeed, Javier did a great job in that movie. Not often do you see a relentless hired hitman whose weapons of choice is a cattle gun and a silenced shotgun. Classic clip from the movie:

Oct 9, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #16,153 of 24,635

Me too. It was just uncomfortable suspense minute after frickin minute. It never let up. And Javier Bardem did a great job. Everyone did. And I'm actually not really a huge Coen brothers fan, at least not recently. I know I know. They are machines though. And the upcoming movie directed by Speilberg looks promising.

But really, I don't think Javier Bardem was all that frightening in character. It was more what his character represented to me that demanded fear.

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #16,154 of 24,635
Indeed, Javier did a great job in that movie. Not often do you see a relentless hired hitman whose weapons of choice is a cattle gun and a silenced shotgun. Classic clip from the movie:

So it seems I am alone on this...or maybe ya'll just a bunch of 'intellectualls'. :p

Nah...I just didn't find the guy all that scary. Dr Evil from Austin Powers scares me more...raps...and makes me laugh!

Then again...I think the entire Godfather series is over rated.

- ducks for cover - then disappears in a cloud of smoke -

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #16,155 of 24,635
So it seems I am alone on this...or maybe ya'll just a bunch of 'intellectualls'.
tongue.gif

Nah...I just didn't find the guy all that scary. Dr Evil from Austin Powers scares me more...raps...and makes me laugh!

Then again...I think the entire Godfather series is over rated.

- ducks for cover - then disappears in a cloud of smoke -

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back