Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 9, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #16,156 of 24,655
Me too. It was just uncomfortable suspense minute after frickin minute. It never let up. And Javier Bardem did a great job. Everyone did. And I'm actually not really a huge Coen brothers fan, at least not recently. I know I know. They are machines though. And the upcoming movie directed by Speilberg looks promising.

But really, I don't think Javier Bardem was all that frightening in character. It was more what his character represented to me that demanded fear.

Yeah, it was the whole idea of him that struck fear into me. This incredibly menacing character with a dogmatic view on killing people.

He's definitely my favorite villain of all time. For some reason, I really like Bane from The Dark Knight Rises. Tom Hardy also portrayed this menacing character that couldn't be stopped...until the plot twist went and screwed it all up.

So it seems I am alone on this...or maybe ya'll just a bunch of 'intellectualls'.
tongue.gif

Nah...I just didn't find the guy all that scary. Dr Evil from Austin Powers scares me more...raps...and makes me laugh!

Then again...I think the entire Godfather series is over rated.

- ducks for cover - then disappears in a cloud of smoke -

sloth-swine.gif

Just kidding :)

Oct 9, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #16,157 of 24,655
So it seems I am alone on this...or maybe ya'll just a bunch of 'intellectualls'.
tongue.gif

Nah...I just didn't find the guy all that scary. Dr Evil from Austin Powers scares me more...raps...and makes me laugh!

Then again...I think the entire Godfather series is over rated.

- ducks for cover - then disappears in a cloud of smoke -

LOL 
popcorn.gif

Oct 11, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #16,158 of 24,655
Tabu: A Story of the South Seas (1931) - 7,5

Last work from Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau. Just like Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, this is a love archetype promoting a universal message. The story unravels within the seed of a tribal community inhabiting Bora Bora, a remote island in French Polinesia. Matahi and Reri ride against forces of higher order within the tribe to preserve their love bond. The resistance is stretched to the limits of what is humanly possible hereby sentencing their tale to a tragic fate. This movie is so engaging that it's easy forget that one is seeing a docufiction. As is hallmark of this genre, it's not possible to separate reality from fiction in what is partly a documentation of the people of Bora Bora and their culture. All the characters are the real tribal natives and chinese living in the region. By virtue of which Tabu invokes a different kind of allure from Sunrise. The idyllic landscape, the tribal rituals and the close contact with nature contrast with the modern world of Sunrise, and craft a rawer and even more nostalgic experience. But ultimately, Tabu doesn't have the impact of a timeless masterpiece like Sunrise. That monumental dreamlike enchantment of Sunrise is missing from Tabu; this is a slightly more earthy and dry experience in my opinion. In any case, Tabu has great poetic beauty and emotional power. The camera work and cinematography are top-notch and earned Floyd Crosby an Academy Award for Best Cinematography, while the archetypal performance as Reri launched Anne Chevalier's acting career for the following years. This beautiful work of silent cinema was honored by Miguel Gomes in 2012 with his homonymous film which I highly enjoyed and also reviewed. Recommended!

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #16,159 of 24,655
22 jump street 3/10

Characters just don´t make any sense anymore. 21 jump street was quite okay this is just silly.

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #16,161 of 24,655
20,000 Days on Earth (2014): 9/10

An ambitious pseudo-documentary that straddles a not-always obvious line between farce and history. That its subject is Nick Cave, who since the early 70s has been releasing some of the most confounding and bewitching music in the industry makes sense: this film brilliantly plays up to Cave's eclecticism, and he and a wide cast of collaborators are eager to play along. How often do you encounter a documentary with dream sequences? Or with voice-over narration provided by its subject, who may or may not have written it? Mingled into all of its delightful trickery are more straightforward moments, including a lot of electrifying (and insightful) footage of Cave and his cohorts in the studio, recording material for their 2013 album Push the Sky Away. Between the studio segments, Cave spends some time in his personal archives, monologuing at a therapist's, and traveling from place to place in the company of his thoughts and acquaintances who vanish just as mysteriously as they appear. I'm not sure how well this film would work for people who aren't fans of Cave, or who aren't already familiar with his history, as it makes no attempt at conventional biography. Indeed, you'll probably come out of it not knowing much more about Cave than you did going in--and if you did learn something new, you'd probably best take it with a grain of salt. What 20,000 Days' real aim seems to be is getting to the heart of Cave's creativity--what moves him to song? What inspires him? What 'transforms' him into the god-like state that he seeks out on the stage? The answers are all here, and it's a hell of a trip. Recommended, but with reservations. However, if you do wind up seeing it and you have little familiarity with Cave, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #16,163 of 24,655
Hellboy (2004): 7/10

A cheesy comic-book flick graced with a memorable central performance (or maybe I should just say presence) by Ron Perlman (who can spit quips and one-liners with the best of them), a slightly offbeat script, and frequently astonishing production design. You know what would really help add some spice to the modern comic book movie scene right about now? How about Hellboy III? Someone get on it!

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #16,166 of 24,655
Galaxy Quest: 8/10

A terrifically fun time, even if I didn't understand all of the Star Trek references. Captures everything about Sci-fi in one cohesive comedy, commanding clear laughs. Watch it, it's fun! Or don't watch it, if you don't like fun.

Oct 15, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #16,167 of 24,655
Gone Girl ( 2014) 8/10

A good example of pop-corn cinema where you don't expect philosophical ideas, psychological depth etc. but just a stylish quality criminal story and memorable actors' performances with smooth camera work and noticeable attention to a music score ( again Trent Reznor as in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo).

Oct 16, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #16,168 of 24,655
Two Days, One Night ( 2014) 8.5/10

The film was one of the more talked about at the Cannes 2014 ( French language films have some privilege there). I haven't seen any of the Dardenne's brothers films. This film in its craft is an opposite to the gimmicky Fincher's Gone Girl which I watched yesterday. It is a very small and intimate realistic film without any music score; academic European cinema. I wouldn't call it a drama but rather an observation or contemplation on small struggles of a person to evoke compassion from viewers. 

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #16,169 of 24,655
Paranorman: 9.34/10

OMG, This has to be the best Laika film so far. It has fun and action, but also a deep emotional ending. Except, why the hell all side characters except Neil are jerks and dickholes, to a point it's not believer able? 

Well, I think that's how filmmakers do to force feed messages to audience and hoping they'll get it (Frozen).

Monty Python and The Holy Grail: 9.5/10

LLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back