Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Oct 25, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #16,186 of 24,631
  War movies is odd. The message is war is hell but then they make entertainment out of it. 

I don't think people watch it to amuse themselves, they watch it (including me) for the suspense.

Oct 25, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #16,187 of 24,631
I think the waste majority watch a movie to be entertained in some way. Be it violence, suspense, drama, love affair etc whatever. War movies is way more entertaining then actually be at war yourself that´s for sure. I haven´t been to war but done my obligatory military service it´s not that hot as Hollywood wants it to be. They are doing quite a bit of marketting when "showing the dirty side of it" but not really.

I never watch a movie wanting to be boored that´s for sure.

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #16,188 of 24,631
I don't always watch movies to be entertained, I watch them to be affected. Sometimes it's entertainment, sometimes it's to advance my understanding or to empathize, other times I don't end up connecting at all. But there are definitely times when I'm not watching a movie for entertainment only. 

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #16,189 of 24,631
Ferris Bueller's Day Off - 4/10

Possibly the worst i've seen in a long time. Just painful to watch and not funny at all to me. I usually like most John Hughes movies too.

BTW it's not a movie but i'm loving the boxed set of the old tv show called "The Honeymooners" with Jacki Gleason and Art Carney.
I dont' like it as much as the Jack Benny Program, but close! I got it on sale at Wal-Mart for $10 and it has all 39 episodes.

Not a fan of current TV shows, but I love some old tv shows. "Ozzie and Harriet" is good too.

I do love the series called "Doc Martin" and can't wait for season 7! It's free on netflix and Amazon prime, but harder to find on TV.

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #16,191 of 24,631
Like Father, Like Son ( 2013) 8.3/10

Director Hirokazu Koreeda

Subtle and touching storytelling, great cast but a little bit of a drag. For example, the Dardennes in Two Days, One Night managed to engage during the whole film despite repetitive story. Maybe because it is 30 minutes shorter? 
atsmile.gif

It is praiseworthy that the Dardennes with minimal artistic means ( cinematography is basic) and simple repetitive story made an effective story. 

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #16,193 of 24,631
Oct 26, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #16,194 of 24,631
Oct 28, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #16,195 of 24,631
Amazing spider man 2. It´s the 2014 movie for those that still don´t understand what spider man movie it is...

This movie was destroyed in the very first scene 
Peter Parkers dad super smart scientists is on a plane to in some odd way protect his son Peter Parker. He realize that the military want him dead. He is lucky managing to down the goon take his gun and neutralize the threat... No wait he just takes the gun turn the back on him waiting for him to get assaulted again. Everybody saw it coming beside him... So important was it trying to save a million lives or something for the US Government and oscorp not getting yet another mass destruction weapon :p  

After that it was kind of a choir to watch with bad CGI and more huge plot holes. None of the actors did impress whatsoever. Harry Osborne is a whine baby who enjoys that? And he made the green goblin from the cartoon to look great.

Electro was a bit interesting due to playing inFamous but his character didn´t add up either.

3/10 I wonder what the reboot was for. Retargeting spider man for a younger audience and targeting the older audience with man of steel 2-11? Low budget so they didn´t want to make the old franchise look dirty by a B-movie like this? I preferr Spider man over Super stiff man any time though but even Man of Steel is more enjoyable.

Oct 28, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #16,196 of 24,631

The Judge 4/10

Not my cuppa

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #16,197 of 24,631
  Amazing spider man 2. It´s the 2014 movie for those that still don´t understand what spider man movie it is...

This movie was destroyed in the very first scene 

I agree with this. I enjoyed Jamie Foxx's performance, and I actually really liked the music they played when Electro was on screen, but that was about it. Just another cookie cutter superhero film. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #16,198 of 24,631
Mutiny on the Bounty - 10/10 (1962 version with Marlon Brando & Trevor Howard)

I really liked the version from the 80s with Mel Gibson and this one is actually much better.
This one felt more like reading a good book and is longer and much more in depth. Probably more accurate too.
This one is 3 hours long and goes by fast.

I liked Trevor Howard in "Von Ryan's Express" and was glad he was in this one. I need to find other movies with him.

I also  need to go and watch the version from the 30s with Clark Gable.

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #16,199 of 24,631
Saving private ryan

Using the DT880 pro, at first the gunshots and ambience feels light for a movie. So i thought the movie was pitched up, so i pitch down by one. But then the general talks with a super heavy voice, that's when i know its badly mastered.

Film's pretty cheesy, i rate it
8/10

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #16,200 of 24,631
Apologies to all my fans for my lack of activity lately.
tongue.gif

Have been kinda busy/lazy lately. I just want to mention that I started a new blog and will be posting my future full reviews there. I'll still post the ratings here though. Right now, I'm migrating all the content there. Everyone is welcome to raise my pageviews
biggrin.gif
. You can access my blog through the link in my signature. I'm not finished yet with the final layout, I'll have to figure out a way to add a drop down menu to it, so I can cleanly separate Portuguese and English texts (I'm using free Blogger). Will have to write an English introduction as well. Comments and feedback of any kind are welcome!

In case you guys are too lazy to lower your eyes towards my signature... here it is:
laminafiada.blogspot.pt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back