Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 15, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #15,901 of 24,641
  Is it as tragic and violent as Legend of the Guardian: The Owl of Ga´hoole? a very very underrated animated movie I feel.

Never saw it, so couldn't say!

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #15,902 of 24,641
Enders Game

2/10 wow I didn´t really have much expectations but it managed to undermine them.

The premises are bad  not that it means you can´t have fun. See Battleship 9/10 but why does that have to mean the logics and all is even worse? The acting well there is a bunch of people talking like they talk to babies weirdness. The direction is so stiff and no I can´t find a simple redeeming factor. Some say it has good picture and audio. Perhaps audio I wasn´t really paying attention but it has plenty badly made CGI considering the budget and the scenography and character modelling leave a lot to be desired.

I can´t find any redeeming factors for this movie how it score so high on metacritic (51 %) is beyond me.

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #15,903 of 24,641
The Visitor (2007) - 8/10.  Richard Jenkins really, really nailed his character in this film.  You feel for him, eventually understand him, and in the end applaud him. There was never any rolling of the eyes, "What Hollywood?" moment in this film.  The script is very naturally written, dialogue flows and down to earth - nothing is overly emphasized or over the top.  A good, quality film.

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #15,904 of 24,641
  The Visitor (2007) - 8/10.  Richard Jenkins really, really nailed his character in this film.  You feel for him, eventually understand him, and in the end applaud him. There was never any rolling of the eyes, "What Hollywood?" moment in this film.  The script is very naturally written, dialogue flows and down to earth - nothing is overly emphasized or over the top.  A good, quality film.

Excellent film, I agree. 

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #15,905 of 24,641
Touch The Sound

wow 1000000/10

I personally feel any one who dares to call him self an Audio Phile needs to watch this... this women is deaf... and yet... she has such a profound understanding of sound. not even an understanding of sound but an appreciation for... a physical connection with it! ... not to mention the entire music sounds amazing 

goose bumps for sure and YES LISTEN TO IT with your Thousand dollar RIGS, your going to want to hear and feel every second of this movie 

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #15,906 of 24,641
Snowpiercer - 10/10 ??

The latest movie from the the director of "Host", "Mother" and "Memories of Murder". It's a south korean film as far as I know, but has an international cast.
You don't see this a whole lot. Last one that comes to mind is the amazing Shuni Iwaii film "Swallowtail Butterfly" which has probably 4 different languages spoken in it.

Anyway, first 5 minute impression was that it had bad acting from some of the smaller roles and some of the dialogue wasn't that good. Well, that early impression didn't last long because the more you get into it the more you like it. At one point I started loving it. During the movie there's so many good ideas that your brain tends to wander around on other things like books you've read or video games with similar themes. I haven't seen such creativity in a movie since maybe "Labyrinth". Have you seen "1984"? Well it has the actor from that and it also reminded me a little of the vault sections of Fallout 3 with the overseer and how he can control everyone. Just replace the vault with the train in this movie. Tilda's character is sort of like the "Overseer" in a way.

The movie is very violent and a bit excessive, but that's OK. I'd love to mention a few things, but don't want to ruin anything. Pretty amazing how you can cram so much stuff into a movie that takes place entirely on a train! It's one super huge train though and goes around the entire world.

I'm also glad that the director stood up to "the man" and refused to have his movie cut. From what I can tell, very little was probably chopped out of the movie. Not 100% sure though. I'm also glad they didn't give it a rap soundtrack like the Weinsteins usually do with their "kung fu" movies.

After watching this I really wanted to see it again, but not right away. I'd buy the blu-ray. The only thing i'd have changed based on the first viewing is maybe cut back a little on some of the violence.

BTW you can watch this on Amazon for $6.99. It's listed as "watch it the same day it's in theaters".

Oh and Chris Evans did a very good job in his role here. Whoever the heck that is.

I really can just imagine that this must have been the director's dream movie. Very few would probably get a chance to do something like this and have complete control over their movie. They probably didn't even have a $200 million dollar budget. Probably not half that.

This one deserves a very wide release, but probably isn't going to happen. If they released it to Imax i'd pay $20 to see it!

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #15,907 of 24,641
  Snowpiercer - 10/10 ??

The latest movie from the the director of "Host", "Mother" and "Memories of Murder". It's a south korean film as far as I know, but has an international cast.

Oh and Chris Evans did a very good job in his role here. Whoever the heck that is.

I didn't like this movie at all. I was expecting that a Korean director would bring something different to the table. It turned out pretty Hollywood-ish in my opinion with artsy mannerisms of Wes Anderson, Luc Besson and alike. I agree Chris Evans did a decent job in his role. It is more grim and dramatic in comparison to his glamorous image of Captain America.

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #15,908 of 24,641
X-men present of future past in post present and pre past future.

Good as super hero movies I suppose. I have almost seen them all though jumped Wolverine. But I was entertained anyway more then usual with this cliche stuff. 6/10.

I Must say it´s hard to see Tyrion sorry Peter Dinklage in another role then Game of Thrones. He appear exactly the same here and well all his movies. I guess he is just a cool dude playing a cool dude :wink:

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #15,911 of 24,641
Another Earth

7/10 - Surprisingly Good
I was expecting it to be some sort of cheesy low-budget sci-fi movie, but none of those words could describe what this movie turns out to be. It's a well-written drama with minimum cliche, easily recommended to those who's currently in the lookout for a drama without a lot of cliche.

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #15,912 of 24,641
Ivan's Childhood (1962) - 8,5

Tarkovsky could hardly come up with a better debut. Ivan's Childhood is yet another wonderful work from the Russian master. Moving and heart-breaking movie where a 12-year-old orphan risks himself on the front lines of the Second World War. For Ivan's young and corrupted mind, there is no worthwhile purpose except fighting the enemy of war, and the vengeance of his dead loved ones is a first order priority. Early love and happy childhood with his mother were ephemeral miracles now conserved in his memory; the war has become the only reality for Ivan. Similarly to The Bridge (1959), directed by Bernhard Wicki, Ivan's Childhood exerts a contrast between those two distinct realities to underline the absurdity of warfare and its costs. The Russian movie is a more intelligent, original and emotional cinematic experience, and is no less powerful in its anti-war message--if one chooses to see it that way--despite the fleeting combat sequences and not being as raw or graphic as The Bridge. Ivan's Childhood is, ultimately, more absurd and painful by throwing into the scene a 12-year-old child who has to duck the enemy practically alone. We fear and feel for him just like his adult comrades. Great acting by a very young Nikolai Burlyayev who later appears in Andrei Rublev. Very good acting overall, beautiful cinematography and inventive camera work. Based on a short story written by Vladimir Bogomolov, Ivan's Childhood is a powerful movie that deserves classic status. Even though this is Tarkovsky's first feature film and a few rough edges making itself noticed, it engages me in a poetic dream almost as effortlessly as the other masterpieces from the Russian genius. Highly recommended!

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #15,914 of 24,641
Certainly don´t appear like anybody likes Noah. As an ateist I would be worried about to much religious stuff. But I would like to see it as a good disaster movie with a great cast. But it appears it´s not that?

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #15,915 of 24,641
  Certainly don´t appear like anybody likes Noah. As an ateist I would be worried about to much religious stuff. But I would like to see it as a good disaster movie with a great cast. But it appears it´s not that?

It was more-so an eye-roll with regards to the religious aspects (and there are a lot), e.g. it takes the idea of someone being a religious extremist nearly to the extremes only to build up to the rather expected ending, where everything goes all corny.

I don't know about the cast. The only good actor was Emma Watson, though her script was a bit over-dramatic and corny anyways. Everyone else seemed to have over dramatic acting, or in some cases, didn't act well enough, such as showing little / no emotion. Not really a fan of Russell Crowe either.

Honestly it was mainly the terrible acting that killed it for me. The general plot line was pretty much as expected and the movie was pretty though. It speaks Hollywood.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back