Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 21, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #15,931 of 24,653
Captain Phillips with Tom Hanks, a true story about Somali Pirates, was very entertaining.  I am certain a lot of Hollywood fantasy got mixed in with the facts, but nevertheless a very enjoyable movie.

Has anyone here ever seen an ancient movie called "Quest for Fire".  This is my movie showcase for movie nights.  You could play this movie to goat herders that were not discovered by modern civilisation or the Queen of England and both would have understood it and be thoroughly entertained.

I saw Ted, with Mark Wahlberg, but felt that this style of comedy worked better with animated characters as in Family Guy....this movie and Family Guy was the same sorta thing...but I felt Family Guy is still the current TV comedy champions.  Peter Griffin, not Homer Simpson, is the true successor to Al Bundy of Married with Children.  Ted was kinda dissapointing as I expected more from this crew, but was OK.

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #15,932 of 24,653
  Captain Phillips with Tom Hanks, a true story about Somali Pirates, was very entertaining.  I am certain a lot of Hollywood fantasy got mixed in with the facts, but nevertheless a very enjoyable movie.

Has anyone here ever seen an ancient movie called "Quest for Fire".  This is my movie showcase for movie nights.  You could play this movie to goat herders that were not discovered by modern civilisation or the Queen of England and both would have understood it and be thoroughly entertained.

I saw Ted, with Mark Wahlberg, but felt that this style of comedy worked better with animated characters as in Family Guy....this movie and Family Guy was the same sorta thing...but I felt Family Guy is still the current TV comedy champions.  Peter Griffin, not Homer Simpson, is the true successor to Al Bundy of Married with Children.  Ted was kinda dissapointing as I expected more from this crew, but was OK.

If you liked Philips have a look at the Danish Film "A Highjacking"

Not sure I like being referred to as ancient as I was around when Quest for Fire was in theaters
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #15,933 of 24,653

If you liked Philips have a look at the Danish Film "A Highjacking"

Not sure I like being referred to as ancient as I was around when Quest for Fire was in theaters
biggrin.gif

I found that movie on VHS about 10 years ago in the corner of the video rentals which I had borrowed almost every movie and was desperately seeking interesting movies I had yet to see.  I'll check out A Highjacking, sounds promising.

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #15,934 of 24,653
Another Dawn of the Planet of the Apes They Return Again - 9/10

I was a little late seeing this in the theater but i'm glad I did see it. Perfect movie to see after a looooong day at work.
Took awhile to get going and I didn't like the first 15-20 minutes much. It doesn't help that I'm not a fan of the main actor in the movie, but he did OK here.
It kept getting better and better the more I watched it (same as with Snowpiercer).

Surprised this doesn't have tons of action and that's a huge plus. Luckily the action scenes really didn't get too ridiculous, but some of the shots do make you laugh a bit. Not that it's a bad thing.
I think one reason I liked this so much is due to the characters. I even ended up caring about all those CGI apes! Some of their "acting" was better than that of the real life actors.

The CGI was definitely convincing to me. Or wait, that WAS CGI right??
biggrin.gif
Not 1000 trained monkeys?

I seriously hope they don't make a sequel with the same ape and actor. You know they will...

I actually was thinking that some with a very short attention span might not like this movie or find it boring. I don't know if i'd see it twice in the theater, but might rent it. This one definitely didn't feel like an action film. "Edge of Darkness" was definitely more entertaining/fun to watch (not that this wasn't!).

BTW I saw "Snowpiercer" again (this time on the big screen) and it was as good the second time as the first, but didn't improve much. I really have a hard time enjoying a movie that violent. It's past my comfort level but it deserves a high rating from me. It's level of violence was a little worse than something like "Cliffhanger" (which I love).

Oh and I'd much rather watch something like Planet of the Apes than the 100 comic book movies they have out. To me, that's Hollywood garbage and not this. Marvel Studios is the worst thing to happen to Hollywood.
Sorry!

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #15,935 of 24,653
Captain America: The Winter Soldier -- 8.5/10

I really liked the message about mass security and whatnot, and the action was also reasonably badass (really loved that Falcon suit), but the cheese level broke barriers when Bucky remembers Cap. It was way too cheesy right there. Now, I'm waiting on the next Captain America movie...

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #15,936 of 24,653
Die Hard (1988): 8/10

The older it gets the more apparent its scripting flaws become, but as an expression of top notch special effects and stunt work it's tough to beat. And Alan Rickman's Hans Gruber is still one of the better action movie villains of all time. It's no masterpiece, but it's definitely a classic. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #15,937 of 24,653
And chance you'd like to talk a bit more about the scripting flaws?

It's one of the few scripts I've read so I'm all for hearing a take or analysis on pros and cons. Or just cons :smile:

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #15,938 of 24,653
And chance you'd like to talk a bit more about the scripting flaws?

It's one of the few scripts I've read so I'm all for hearing a take or analysis on pros and cons. Or just cons
smile.gif

Well, they're subjective, but I primarily hate how many minor characters in positions of authority exist, whose sole purpose is to strut around and rant about how dumb John is being and how he's going to mess everything up. Cut all those guys out and you'd have a tauter film. I know they're trying for comedic relief--but we've already got more than enough of that.

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #15,942 of 24,653
Transformers: 4.0/10

Bad pace, bad script, stupid characters...

AWESOME EFFECTS!!!.........................................................................................

Nah, still stupid.

Transformers 2: Revenge of the fallen: 1.9/10

Worse pace, worse script, idiotic characters...

AWESOME EFFECTS!!!.........................................................................................

Nah, still STUPID.

Transformers 3: Dark of The Moon: 3.3/10

**** pace, **** script, **** characters...

Nah, still ******* terrible.

Transformers 4: Age of extinction: 1.0/10
OMG THIS IS THE ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ******* EVERYTHING WE HATE IN MOVIES HAS COME TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ******* PRODUCT PLACEMENT, ******* TERRIBLE CHARACTERS (except Mark Wahlberg, he's a boss), ******* PACE, ******* EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME EFFE......

Shut up, we know this is coming.

EXTRA CONTENT!!!!!!

How to watch a Michael Bay movie:

1. Find something hard. Not textbook hard, but HEAVY METAL HARD.

2. Pick it up.

3. Knock your head real hard until you can't think about everything but still retains vision and hearing.

4. Watch a good old Michael Bay movie.

5. Finish? Then GO **** YOURSELF AND DIE before he make another movie so you won't pay for his **** like a retard.

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #15,943 of 24,653
You will see Transformers 5 also :wink:

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #15,944 of 24,653
We have a transformers fan here 
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #15,945 of 24,653
Yes I suppose there is lots of those. It don´t matter how bad the movies are the consumers run to the cinemas anyway :).

I am not much better I somehow managed to see the first three but enough is enough lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back