Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Sep 7, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #10,846 of 24,638
Snow white and the Huntsmen 8/10

Surprised me a lot. Theron is great and the only really interesting character.
It got a bit annoying when Snow white all sudden would become Napoleon or something a bit odd...

Actually it's Joan of Arc, but the point's taken.

I'd give it a 5/10 and it only got that much because Theron is glorious and the set design, costuming, and special effects are excellent.

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #10,847 of 24,638
The rating on these pop corn movies just show how much entertainment I got from them and how well executed they are :)

You can have anonymous characters if the story is great and you are interested in how things will unfold for example. And as mentioned Theron holds this movie up pretty well.

As for Kristen Stewart I only suffered the original Twilight so she didn´t annoy that much. But I noticed it took over an hour for her to shut her mouth for a second. Maybe she got a cold when she made the movie?

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #10,848 of 24,638
Man, I didn't even know who Kristen Stewart was until I did a google search. She's the kid in Panic Room! This might be the first time I've ever said this, but I feel a bit old. . ..
angry_face.gif

She seems to have nice hair. *awkwardly steps aside*

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #10,849 of 24,638
Man on fire- 8.5/10
great acting from denzel washington again, along with well written plot
although it felt a bit slower in the beginning and sped up near the end with all the killings
basically the same plot/idea as the movie "taken" 

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #10,850 of 24,638
Quote:
Man, I didn't even know who Kristen Stewart was until I did a google search. She's the kid in Panic Room! This might be the first time I've ever said this, but I feel a bit old. . ..
angry_face.gif

Imagine how Jodie Foster feels
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #10,853 of 24,638
Wings of Desire by Wim Wenders.

8/10.

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #10,854 of 24,638
Just saw Tai Chi 0 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1981080/) at the Toronto International Film Festival. I thought it was absolutely brilliant, 9/10. One of those movies you can just forget about the realities of life and enjoy.
Movie-wise, sort of like somebody tossed
  1. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
  2. Wild Wild West
  3. Kung Fu Hustle
  4. Old Chinese TV shows (the quirky funny kinds)
  5. A couple of comic books
  6. Couple of mangas
  7. Mortal Kombat

into a Blendtec and just pressed go.

Seriously though, if you like a movie with good fun, go watch it 
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #10,855 of 24,638
Tetsuo, The iron man-8/10 if you like its quarky humor....6/10 if not I would guess. It's just a very odd movie to say the least. I can't really think of anything good to say about it other than it's not bad, and it's hilariously cheesy at times.

Sep 10, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #10,856 of 24,638
Men In Black 3: 6/10

It was a mildly enjoyable watch with a unique twist that kept me guessing. However, there were lots of plot holes, which tends to be the case with time travel. I've always loved Will Smith though, especially in his younger, more comedic roles. So it was nice seeing that again and having a few laughs. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #10,857 of 24,638
Tora, Tora Tora - 8/10

Movie about the attack on Pearl Harbor..
Think I just reviewed this one a few months ago, but not sure. I like this one a lot, but don't watch it just for entertainment. It's best viewed as sort of like a documentary. I think it's probably very accurate.
Some may be bored to death by it. The attack on Pearl Harbor doesn't even happen in the movie until the 1h44m mark! It's a good history lesson. Not as good as the Michael Bay version though. Only kidding...

What's interesting is reading up on this online. I didn't know this, but there was actually 1 Japanese POW from the attack. He wrote a book about it, but it's impossible to find.

Last night I was also reading about the fire bombings of Tokyo during WWII. It almost makes you sick to your stomach if you saw the pictures of all those charred bodies. The pilots even reported flying over and smelling burnt flesh. The updrafts alone destroyed 10 planes.
100,000 people dead and many people aren't even aware of this and only know about the atomic bombs. I really need to watch "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" again.

Another interesting fact: When the American's ditched their planes in China and were helped by the Chinese, the Japanese retaliated and reportedly killed over 250,000 people. Not sure how accurate this is. Even used biological weapons.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #10,859 of 24,638
Focker, I watched this on Thursday as promised by never got around to writing up a review. Here it is now!

Pirate Radio (The Boat That Rocked) - 7/10
Corny, but sweet and funny. A nice world where nothing truly bad ever happens, and everyone is best friends. I especially liked Philip Seymour Hoffman ("the Count"), Bill Nighy (Carl's godfather), and Tom Sturridge (Carl).

Brick - 7/10
Has a TV-show feel to it, probably in part due to the tiny budget, which was neither good nor bad, simply different. I liked the soundtrack. It had Twin Peaks vibes. A pretty ridiculous concept and the main character is mysteriously extremely adept at playing both detective & street brawler, but it was entertaining throughout.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #10,860 of 24,638
Calexico: Looks like we both felt the same way about it...was a fun time :)

Here is the film I just finished watching...

I always enjoy movies that are based on true events, and this one was no different...very interesting film!  

Rating: 8.0/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back