Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Sep 24, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #8,821 of 24,690

Quote:
people just don't know how to behave in cinemas anymore, it's one of the reasons I go less and less (other reasons being blu ray and home cinema 5.1 sound)

Me three, except I have 7.1 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #8,822 of 24,690

Quote:
people just don't know how to behave in cinemas anymore, it's one of the reasons I go less and less (other reasons being blu ray and home cinema 5.1 sound)

Go later, before the movie is dropped from the Cinema. There usually isn't anyone there.

I go to a more "stuck up" theater that enforces good behavior. I also get free passes to it. But the snacks are expensive.

I've got like, 1.5 surround sound.

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #8,824 of 24,690
Another vote for poor behavior in the cinema. It's like everyone thinks they're at home in their living room. There's a weird sense of entitlement allowing people to talk, talk on the phone and even text/get online while there.

So I mostly stay at home. I love my flatscreen and have glorious two-channel sound! Though the speakers image and recreate center well and I don't miss sounds behind me. And I can't take the cat to the movies, anyway.

Anyhow, I nosed around a local shop last night and picked up a couple of used Criterion discs for $20. :) I watched one:

The Last Emperor, 10/10

I hadn't seen this since it was released in1987. Simply a great movie. Beautifully shot, great acting, script, direction, editing, and everything else. I'm thrilled to have it in my library! Go see it if you haven't.

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #8,825 of 24,690

Yeah exactly; the cat is actually a good reason to watch at home
beerchug.gif

Cat on the lap, beer when I want, piss when I want and nobody talking through the movie. 

Quote:
So I mostly stay at home. I love my flatscreen and have glorious two-channel sound! Though the speakers image and recreate center well and I don't miss sounds behind me. And I can't take the cat to the movies, anyway.

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #8,826 of 24,690

Quote:
beerchug.gif

Cat on the lap, beer when I want, piss when I want and nobody talking through the movie. 

For me is it the exact opposite. They are a good reason not to watch movies at home.

We don´t have the mobile phone problem over here but well we where very early with cell phones so people have learned how to  use them. Also before each show there is a presenter telling all to shut them off.

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #8,827 of 24,690
For me is it the exact opposite. They are a good reason not to watch movies at home.

We don´t have the mobile phone problem over here but well we where very early with cell phones so people have learned how to  use them. Also before each show there is a presenter telling all to shut them off.

We have that in the states as well but there is a severe lack of common courtesy/respect with the majority of the younger generations. :rolleyes:

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #8,828 of 24,690

Quote:
We have that in the states as well but there is a severe lack of common courtesy/respect with the majority of the younger generations.
rolleyes.gif

Oh it's not the just the younger ones either.  I've seen the middle aged and seniors do it too.  People just don't give a crap.  More likely though is they are usually too dumb to realize their white hot screen can be seen from every corner of the theater.  I however don't mind being rather vigilante about such things.  I love the look they give when you bring it to their attention like 'how dare you!'.  Yeah, the new America.  I remember asking two girls talking during a movie to please be quiet or move to another section.  One girl replied, 'how rude!'  Yeah, California.

Sep 25, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #8,829 of 24,690

Quote:
We have that in the states as well but there is a severe lack of common courtesy/respect with the majority of the younger generations.
rolleyes.gif

Wow. 

Quote:
Oh it's not the just the younger ones either.  I've seen the middle aged and seniors do it too.  People just don't give a crap.  More likely though is they are usually too dumb to realize their white hot screen can be seen from every corner of the theater.  I however don't mind being rather vigilante about such things.  I love the look they give when you bring it to their attention like 'how dare you!'.  Yeah, the new America.  I remember asking two girls talking during a movie to please be quiet or move to another section.  One girl replied, 'how rude!'  Yeah, California.

Oh that problem we have here as well. Mostly 14-year old girls that you encounter doing fake laughs since everyone must hear how great they are or something... 

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #8,830 of 24,690

Quote:
my receiver could, but I never actually try to add 2 extra speakers, is it worth while?

For me it was, especially with certain movies that take full advantage. I had an Audiosource 5.1 speaker package from Costco in storage, pretty decent satellites and center channel but not much of a sub. When I got my 7.1 receiver I also got some Polk towers to use for the front channel bi-amped/bi-wired, and I added an MFW-15 sub which really rocks, I definitely got lucky with that one (long story). If I ever upgrade the satellite and center speakers I might consider one of those single rear speakers with the dual projection angles from a rear-center position instead of using two rear surrounds as the sitting area (bed and sofa) is against the back wall. The room acoustics are pretty good though even so. It turned out pretty state of the art considering the budget; the star of the show is definitely the (refurbished) 1080p DLP projector.

Quote:
beerchug.gif

My cat is not on my lap during movie time, he is on the edge of the bed as close as he can get to the screen and stares intently at it the whole time 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Oh it's not the just the younger ones either.  I've seen the middle aged and seniors do it too.  People just don't give a crap.

It's like they don't know how to use the vibrate setting. My new rule is to avoid movie theaters completely unless I go to the new Imax screen that just opened up, it's like an old time theater with a balcony and everything. As all theaters are quite a drive for me, I might as well make it a real event as I hardly ever venture out for movies; the last time was for Inception. For the most part the other patrons at the Imax seem pretty considerate, it might have something to do with the additional expense and the fact that I try to go in the daytime. In general though Netflix Blu-rays save the day.

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #8,834 of 24,690
Transformers : Dark of The Moon - 2.5/10

Only redeeming factor was the semi-conservative message in the plot, don't see that often anymore (replace "exile robots" with "land for peace" and the viewers frustration at the gullibility of the humans, as betrayal is inevitable.)  Mindless and an exercise more in CG than what Bay was formerly known for, pyrotechnics.

This would be a five star movie if that's all you want though, so can't call this an objective rating.

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #8,835 of 24,690
Saw the Lion King once again at the theaters today (non-3D).  Still about 9/10.

This time I went to a different cinema than the one I saw Drive in and the speakers plus screen were kickin' in this one.  I'm ditching the old theater.  What a difference it makes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back