Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 8, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #7,786 of 24,653

Quote:
I think Forrest Gump was his best performance.
I also liked him in catch me if you can as well.

I really liked him in Road to Perdition.  Basically everything in that movie.  Was going to watch the Shaka Zulu epic again tonight but now I'm torn w/ seeing Road to Perdition again.  Hmmm.....

Quote:
Arthur - 6.5/10

Worth a rental, maybe seeing at the theater if you're desperate for a comedy. I liked it. The first half wasn't that good, but it got better halfway through.
I don't know how it compares to the original since I saw that such a long time ago.

Don't ask me why, but some parts reminded me of "Elf", which is one of my favorite movies. Yes, really!

I will never see that monstrosity of a remake.  The original Arthur will never be matched, especially by that clown.  I actually don't mind him most of the time but I have to draw the line here.  It's the equivalent of Steve Martin's Pink Panther remakes.  What an insult to the legacy of fantastic dead actors.

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #7,787 of 24,653
^Couldn't agree more with the Arthur remake and that clown. It seems like big budget Hollywood is running dry with ideas and prefers to remake both domestic and afar.  A crying shame if you ask me.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #7,788 of 24,653
I can understand everyones reason's for not wanting to watch this movie, but I don't understand how one can know for sure if it's any good without watching it?
Don't you ever find yourself thinking you'll hate a movie and then love it? I remember skipping "Lawrence of Arabia" for years and years and it ended up being one of the best movies I saw that year.
I'm actually more annoyed by Hollywood's nearly unlimited superhero movies! That and all the annoying PG-13 horror movies. We must have like dozens every summer.

I'm personally against remakes and I actually have never seen any of this actor's movies before! Maybe that's why I was more likely to see it. He was actually not that bad in this movie.

Grouping it into movies like the "Pink Panther" remakes seems a bit wrong, especially if you haven't seen it, but I get your point. It's really not THAT bad! I highly doubt they were out to try and top the original.
I don't even think it's a complete remake of the original. I'll have to see the original again. Maybe it's better than the original, but I highly doubt it. I remember liking it.

At least I can say it was far better than the average Jack Black movie! You know what remake was really a waste of time? Gulliver's Travels! Some of it was entertaining, but barely even worth watching.

Not that any of you do this, but it's funny how many friends I have that avoid a movie because of who's in it. My mom doesn't like anything with Jack Nicholson and another doesn't like anything with Gong Li?! I think I do that with Vince Vaughn movies and specific directors.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #7,789 of 24,653

Quote:
I can understand everyones reason's for not wanting to watch this movie, but I don't understand how one can know for sure if it's any good without watching it?
Don't you ever find yourself thinking you'll hate a movie and then love it? I remember skipping "Lawrence of Arabia" for years and years and it ended up being one of the best movies I saw that year.
I'm actually more annoyed by Hollywood's nearly unlimited superhero movies! That and all the annoying PG-13 horror movies. We must have like dozens every summer.

I'm personally against remakes and I actually have never seen any of this actor's movies before! Maybe that's why I was more likely to see it. He was actually not that bad in this movie.

Grouping it into movies like the "Pink Panther" remakes seems a bit wrong, especially if you haven't seen it, but I get your point. It's really not THAT bad! I highly doubt they were out to try and top the original.
I don't even think it's a complete remake of the original. I'll have to see the original again. Maybe it's better than the original, but I highly doubt it. I remember liking it.

At least I can say it was far better than the average Jack Black movie! You know what remake was really a waste of time? Gulliver's Travels! Some of it was entertaining, but barely even worth watching.

Not that any of you do this, but it's funny how many friends I have that avoid a movie because of who's in it. My mom doesn't like anything with Jack Nicholson and another doesn't like anything with Gong Li?! I think I do that with Vince Vaughn movies and specific directors.

I'm not avoiding it because of Russell Brand.  I've seen the trailers and some clips from late night interviews.  It's not a direction I want to see 'Arthur' go.  The original was very well rounded and superbly performed.  Despite being a comedy I could take the subject seriously and relate to the characters.  This seems way too glossed over by comparison for me to take seriously.  It seems too cartoony and a mere caricature.  

I see your point though but rest assured that's not my problem w/ the remake.  As for Jack Black, my favorite of his is actually considered the most un-Jack Black of his movies.  Nacho Libre!!  Viva El Nacho! I took French, I have no idea what I just said.  
tongue.gif

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #7,790 of 24,653
Dark City - 7.2/10

Seeing Jack Bauer, I mean Kiefer Sutherland as a mad scientist was just awkward. What was with those ray beams shooting out of the head? I'm not really a big fan of Sci-Fi, but it was an interesting concept. 

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #7,791 of 24,653
I watched "The Crying Game" again and just had to comment on the great acting by... Forest Whitaker, Miranda Richardson and Stephen Rea to name just a few of the actors in this 1992 classic...Good soundtrack also....                                                          

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #7,792 of 24,653
Yi Yi - 10/10

I bought this Criterion Collection blu-ray a few days ago and watched it tonight. It's nearly 3 hours and my plan was to watch it for a half hour and then play Crysis 2 instead. I ended up being so engrossed in the movie that I watched all of it in one sitting. I used my new K702 and E9 and it made it even better. Somehow the E9 seems to have perfect synergy with the K702 and more so than my Asgard. Anyway, this is the second time I've seen the movie. It's very slow going and some people may find it a snore fest. I don't because my mind is always thinking during the movie. I swear I even got a little teary eyed during a few scenes. If you watch this, it does require a bit of patience. Fans of Ozu films should enjoy it, but it's even slower than his movies. It's a shame more of Edward Yang's films aren't available. Back in 1998 I had his "A Brighter, Summer Day" on VCD. I imagine it's probably impossible to find that one now.

Here's the trailer for it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbwNZGrRfF8

BTW I think this is my 2nd favorite Criterion disc. My favorite is "Paris, Texas", which is also a must see. Most Criterion discs are worth the extra money.

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #7,793 of 24,653
Watched Evangelion 2.22 You Can (not) Advance tonight 5/5 with this second installment the new movies take a turn away from the show and do something new! which is pretty awesome, keeps its exciting. I dont know whats coming next even after how many times I have watched the show. And its freaking gorgeous in 1080p on blu ray. the first movie looked good, but it was mostly just cleaned up animation from the tv series, this one is almost all new animation and you can certainly tell.

i wouldnt reccomend watching the movies though if you havent watched all of the show Neon Genesis Evangelion

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #7,794 of 24,653
Man this movie is awesome.  I never watched 24 so I didn't think anything of Kiefer Sutherland.  I didn't even know he was Jack Bauer until a couple weeks ago, and I saw Dark City over a year ago.
Quote:
Dark City - 7.2/10

Seeing Jack Bauer, I mean Kiefer Sutherland as a mad scientist was just awkward. What was with those ray beams shooting out of the head? I'm not really a big fan of Sci-Fi, but it was an interesting concept. 

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #7,795 of 24,653
9pintube:
I watched "The Crying Game" again and just had to comment on the great acting by... Forest Whitaker, Miranda Richardson and Stephen Rea to name just a few of the actors in this 1992 classic...Good soundtrack also....                                                          

Man, I haven't checked that out in a while. Think I need to correct that soon. BTW, a while back I watched Neil Jordan's latest - Ondine. It was alright, an adult fable kind of in the vein of Splash; about a 5 or 6/10 from me. 

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #7,797 of 24,653

Quote:
9pintube:

BTW, a while back I watched Neil Jordan's latest - Ondine. It was alright, an adult fable kind of in the vein of Splash; about a 5 or 6/10 from me. 

I had no hopes or expectations from that movie.  Not much of a Colin Farrell fan either.  But the girl just kept taking her clothes off all the time I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.  
biggrin.gif

Win Win - 8.25/10.  It was full of win.  Another solid Paul Giamatti flick.

Hanna - 6.5/10.

Apr 10, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #7,799 of 24,653
Exit Through the Gift Shop

Finally took the time to watch this.
It's a nice documentary, the last 25 minutes are pretty surprising, and in general I do find the topic pretty interesting. But what's all the fuzz about with this movie?! I really think this is overrated and hyped, offcourse it's pretty cool what Banksy did, but the movie itself just isn't a masterpiece. Decent, nice watch, not more, not less, for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back