Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 12, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #7,816 of 24,654
Get Smart - 9.25/10

This was released only a few years ago and I've already seen it maybe a dozen times. Sure, it's dumb, but it's so funny to me. I think there's only a few jokes in the movie that didn't work out. One involving speaking Russian and one during a chase scene at the end. If you don't like Steve Carrell, then you probably wouldn't find it all that funny. Personally I could care less about the story in this movie. To me, it's just a popcorn movie that's really entertaining and fun to watch. Nothing wrong with that!

This scene has one of the funniest lines of dialogue in the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcM-Ia1Zqik

Apr 12, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #7,817 of 24,654

Quote:
Get Smart - 9.25/10

This was released only a few years ago and I've already seen it maybe a dozen times. Sure, it's dumb, but it's so funny to me. I think there's only a few jokes in the movie that didn't work out. One involving speaking Russian and one during a chase scene at the end. If you don't like Steve Carrell, then you probably wouldn't find it all that funny. Personally I could care less about the story in this movie. To me, it's just a popcorn movie that's really entertaining and fun to watch. Nothing wrong with that!

This scene has one of the funniest lines of dialogue in the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcM-Ia1Zqik

Alan Arkin is awesome.  If you haven't seen Gross Pointe Blank, check it out.

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #7,819 of 24,654
David:
Curiosity took me to the Brandon Routh Superman film. Just checking to see if it was any good, and to see if he had a another expression apart from the one he used all through Chuck.

Blimey... for an unimaginative, even by Hollywood standards remake, it was just so lifeless. Absolutely nothing to touch the leaping up from the sofa punching the air*, helicopter / Lois rescue.

Horrid, horrid, horrid. It seems every day we receive casting news from the latest reboot. Now Amy Adams will be Lois, and Michael Shannon will be Zod. Not bad, I like those two. Still can't get over Snyder! *sigh* I had a nightmare about speed ramping last night. I'm just old and bitter. 

--

I re-watched Michael Mann's The Keep. It's a movie I like more than I should. Mann himself has disowned it. Bad move on his part. Tangerine Dream laid a killer synth score to it. If that doesn't deserve a proper release, I don't know what does. 5/10

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #7,820 of 24,654
^Brings back memories "The Keep".  Entertaining to say the least.  It had similar effect on me as the "Treasure of the Four Crowns"

Just finished "Jacob's Ladder".  Still a mind tripping flick - 8/10.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #7,822 of 24,654

Quote:
Rewatched Branagh's "Henry V" - 9/10 - with an absolutely brilliant adaptation and portrayal of Act 1, Scene 2. We should all speak in that fashion.

Reminds me that I rewatched Ian McKellan's Richard III a few days ago.  Boy is he cast perfectly for Richard.

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #7,823 of 24,654
My Night at Maud's. 8.25/10, but with the qualification that I need to watch it again. The current rating is a little something I learned back on the Sesame Street. I don't think I caught the one on rounding.

Anyhow, quite charming. Not much experience with Eric Rohmer. French movies are a pain to rate properly, so I may come back and edit.

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #7,824 of 24,654
Poetry (Shi) - 10/10

Most people don't know it, but South Korea makes some of the best movies there is. It's hard to keep up with them because many of them you have to import and have a region free player for. The good thing is that like in Hong Kong, most are subtitled in English! This one is made by my favorite director Lee Chang-Dong. His previous movie "Peppermint Candy" is one of my favorite movies of all time. "Oasis' was also good, but sometimes difficult to watch and even worse to rate.

I looked up showtimes locally and was shocked when some small city near me was actually playing this! It's only one of those cheap $2.50 ticket theaters! It took me a few days to be able to see it and I'm glad I did. It had one showing for 3 days. 9:50AM ONLY!

I have to say that the trailers make it out to be some sort of tear-jerking sob story. This is really not accurate. It's very restrained and not excessively melodramatic like some South Korean movies. In the Korean trailer they only put in it only the scenes were someone is crying?! If you don't know, this one won Best Screenplay at the Cannes Film Festival last year. The movie is very slow moving and tried my patience a bit, but it's never boring. It's like reading a good book and the movie gets better the more you watch it. I don't know why, but as I was driving home I got so extremely sad just even thinking about the movie. This has never happened before. Not like depressing sad, but different. The more I think about the ending the more I like it.

Have you seen the the South Korean movie "A Mother"? The story is very similar, but this is far, far better. I can't really mention too much of the story without giving too much away.

Here's the trailer:

It really gives the wrong impression of the movie. I hate all the trailers of the movie.

And oh yeah... I also saw "Source Code". I'd give that an 8.25/10
Totally engrossing from start to finish for me. I kept thinking what I'd do during all of scenes. During one part I was thinking "Why are you wasting so much time stupid?!"
Felt like this movie was quite original. I don't think I've seen anything like it.

Not sure I liked the message about "doing something for your country'....especially after they've already given their life. What the heck more do they need to do? Maybe I took it the wrong way.

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #7,825 of 24,654
I recall my wife going through the Korean soap operas when it was the "hit thing".  The quality of S. Korean and Hong Kong movies are quite good and many remade by American Production (The Departed, The Ring, and The Grudge to name a few).   I still vividly remember watching "Shiri" in the theaters - great movie 9/10.  If you like somewhat wacked, but superbly directed films and acting, check out "Sympathy for Mr. Vengence" and "Old Boy". 

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #7,826 of 24,654
Bottle Rocket - 6.5/10

Never been much of a Wes Anderson fan…the films always seem like stoner in-jokes to me, or some variation thereof. I didn't find Rushmore all that funny, either. It's like I know when I'm s'posed to laugh, but…

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #7,827 of 24,654

Quote:
My Night at Maud's. 8.25/10, but with the qualification that I need to watch it again. The current rating is a little something I learned back on the Sesame Street. I don't think I caught the one on rounding.

Anyhow, quite charming. Not much experience with Eric Rohmer. French movies are a pain to rate properly, so I may come back and edit.

I find many of Rohmer's films somewhat whimsical in nature.

If you liked Jean-Louis Trintignant in Rohmer, I'd suggest Red by Krzysztof Kieslowski, where he is cast opposite the Swiss actress, Irene Jacob. Seriously for me it's a 10/10, and Red will probably lead you to Kieslowski's The Double Life Of Veronique which is Jacob's premier role. But you may already be familiar with Kieslowski?

Quote:
Reminds me that I rewatched Ian McKellan's Richard III a few days ago.  Boy is he cast perfectly for Richard.

Have heard of McKellan's work and may have to give that a look see, although I've never done well (yet) with Shakespeare cast out of period. OTOH, I can't say much for Olivier's Richard III.

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #7,828 of 24,654
Just finished watching 300, because I impulse-bought it today on bluray at walmart, and I have nothing better to do with my introverted self than watch movies on the colleges biggest party night...but I digress.

Good movie. I liked the cinematography, and the special effects. The dialog was iffy in some spots, and other than a few epic one liners there wasn't much to remark. The plot was pretty good, but I knew how the story went from history class (It was pretty cool knowing the back-story on Xerxes's "Immortals" as well).

Now, the real reason people watch this movie: Epic action. It's freaking Sparta, there's lots of blood and pieces of limbs and stuff like that being severed, both in slow motion and in real-time. It's lots of good fun, but I now have this incredible urge to buy a replica spartan sword to have as a wall decoration. There's also a lot of nudity, but hey, this is Greece, they still don't wear clothes on all their beaches, so "when in Rome (yes, it's not Rome this time, but the point stands)"

So, mediocre dialog, loads of violence, brandishing of breast and wholesale slaughter of a very large portion of the Persian army. If you can get past the creepy priest and the oracle scene it's all good! (and actually, the way the oracle of Delphi really got her divination's was a whole lot weirder, and if I recall from my Greek philosophy class involved straddling a steam vent from fissure naked...but again, I digress)

Good film, totally worth watching, but not nearly as good as the second to last film I watched, "The Town", which is now one of my favorites, but The Departed is a favorite as well so there is no surprise there.

300: 3.75-4.0
The Town: 4.75

Note: On spellcheck, when it tried to fix the word "freakin" one of the options was to replace it with "foreskin." I find this incredibly disconcerting yet comical.

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #7,829 of 24,654
300 is one of the most homo erotic movies released since Top Gun :)

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #7,830 of 24,654

Quote:
300 is one of the most homo erotic movies released since Top Gun :)

Yeah, much more so than Brokeback Mountain.  
rolleyes.gif
  Since we're on the subject:

Aimee and Jaguar - 9.25/10.  Maria Shrader, amazing.

Ink - starts at 3/10 and finished at 7.5/10.  Some polish and better casting could have done wonders for this film.  Whoever cast the main character was waaay off.  WTH!  The worst actor in the movie was the primary subject?  
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back