Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 20, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #7,681 of 24,651

Quote:
"The Fighter" [7.7/10]: The performances were great, no question that Christian Bale was amazing. Maybe I have a short attention span, but I seemed to know the story before I saw the story. It just didn't hold my interest. Somewhat overrated in my opinion. I enjoyed "Black Swan," "True Grit," "Social Network," "Inception," and "The King's Speech" a lot more.

No, a had a little bit of the same thing watching it. I didn't enjoy Black Swan though

Mar 20, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #7,682 of 24,651
Proglover:
Gladiator wasn't really that interesting?!
blink.gif

Damn, it's not interesting, it's a masterpiece. Popular/commercial/Hollywood or not, it's a masterpiece in my book.

Didn't like Robin Hood and Master and Commander though.

I didn't think Gladiator was that interesting either. Scott, in his shoot for coverage, then fancy edit mode . To me it was a populist bit of cinema, not a masterpiece by any means.  It was also a bit self-serious. 

I'll be one to chime in for Master and Commander.  Of course, that was directed by Weir with Crowe. Wouldn't say it's a masterpiece either but definitely one of the more focused big budget movies of recent memory.  It didn't even have a love story. How in the heck did they budget 100 Mill for that? Plus the subject was fodder for Weir the naturalist. The ocean was a great character in that film. Men among the elements, has always been in that PW's wheelhouse way back since Picnic at Hanging Rock

--

Let's see, one movie I really liked recently was Rango. It has been said, but wow the visuals! It began interesting than swung a little more middlebrow toward the end. And it is a reference fest. Practically every scene is a homage; a treat for movie lovers. 6/10

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #7,683 of 24,651
The gladiator might not have been interesting, but it was damn entertaining.

I also liked Robin Hood. I like the approach the movie took, telling not the legend but how they legend begins. Pretty decent.

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #7,685 of 24,651

Quote:
The gladiator might not have been interesting, but it was damn entertaining.

I also liked Robin Hood. I like the approach the movie took, telling not the legend but how they legend begins. Pretty decent.

IIRC it didn't even make sense compared to the legend though. :-/

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #7,686 of 24,651
Gladiator did hold my interest through the entire movie the 1,2,3 and 4th time I watched it. Surely the revenge story has been told many times before but who cares when it´s well executed with such great acting.

Speaking of that just watched the bluray edition of Braveheart. Really surprised how good quality they got out of this old film. Quite a bit better then the bluray version of Gladiator. As for the movie itself yes it was really nice also now after the 7th viewing.
Not cool to like mainstream movies I know but it´s solid work :) There is a lot of comedy and heart  in all the darkness in Braveheart which makes it more versatile then the ever so serious Gladiator :)

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #7,689 of 24,651
Yeah I liked Disturbia as well. Rango: 8/10 I literally have nothing to say about Rango esides What.

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #7,690 of 24,651
The Loved One, 7/10.

I'd been looking for some time for the DVD version of this movie, since I'm a monstrous fan of the book (10/10 for the book - highly recommended to everyone).

The movie was somewhat disappointing. It gets played up as a "lost classic," but it's really uneven. Some parts are devestating, but others fall flat.

However, I have to recommend it for the parts of Sir John Gilgud and Rod Steiger. Who knew Steiger could do comedy so well? Gielgud is superb (as always), but Steiger's Mr. Joyboy knocked me flat. Especially the dinner scene with his mother - creepy, weird and pants-wetting hilarious at the same time. Jonathan Winters was underused, but delivers some excellent scenes, too.

Though uneven, it is worth watching. Steiger steals his scenes and creates an indelible character. Worth seeing for that alone. From what I read, this is one of Steiger's favorite roles. See it and you'll understand why.

The second best role is Liberace's slimy casket salesman. No joke - Liberace is amazing and hysterical. The movie is worth seeing just for Steiger and Liberace.

Though I recommend the book even more. So funny, I had to put it down several times just to laugh. Sadly, the movie is a lot broader than the book and doesn't quite hit its target, but it's worth seeing just for Steiger and Liberace. They pull off some of my favorite scenes in any movie I've seen.

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #7,692 of 24,651

Quote:
Gladiator did hold my interest through the entire movie the 1,2,3 and 4th time I watched it. Surely the revenge story has been told many times before but who cares when it´s well executed with such great acting.

Speaking of that just watched the bluray edition of Braveheart. Really surprised how good quality they got out of this old film. Quite a bit better then the bluray version of Gladiator. As for the movie itself yes it was really nice also now after the 7th viewing.
Not cool to like mainstream movies I know but it´s solid work :) There is a lot of comedy and heart  in all the darkness in Braveheart which makes it more versatile then the ever so serious Gladiator :)

Ow yeah, I've also seen Gladiator and Braveheart a bunch of times. Both real classics to me in that kind of genre. I don't care about if it's cool to like certain movies or not. I can appreciate arty farty arthouse when it's done properly (not when it's only done to be arty farty), I can appreciate a good drama, the cinematographic thing, foreign movies, etc. etc.
But I can also appreciate a good commercial movie when done properly, especially when I'm tired they're just a nice and easy watch.

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #7,693 of 24,651
Was laid up in bed with the flu this weekend, and watched a bunch of movies to keep myself busy.

The Insider: 10/10. AWESOME movie. Can't believe I hadn't seen it until last night. Incredibly tense, gripping, fascinating stuff. The acting was great - Al Pacino was Al Pacino, and Russell Crowe was incredibly impressive. The man has some serious acting range - he really does come off as a completely different person from the character in the other 1990s classic I caught up on over the weekend...

LA Confidential: 8.5/10. Another great movie I had missed for many years. Great acting from a top-notch cast and a twisty plot, I really enjoyed it. The only thing I didn't love was the writing, which I found weirdly inconsistent - some really outstanding lines, and then some cliched moments. 

Waiting for Superman: 8.5/10. Great documentary about our failing education system. Don't watch if you don't want to be sad, though - I think it's one of the most depressing things I've seen. But very powerful.

The Invention of Lying: 7.5/10. I was disappointed that this didn't do better with critics when it came out. I thought it was actually a creative idea for a comedy, that was very well executed. Ricky Gervais was great - really funny, and never seemed like a bad guy even when he was being manipulative. And Rob Lowe as a douchebag is always entertaining. 

Unstoppable: 6/10. Solid action/adventure movie. Nothing mind-blowing here, but nothing stupid or trite either - just tense, well-executed, fast-paced thriller. If that's what you're in the mood for, you won't be disappointed.

Dinner for Schmucks: 1/10. I really didn't like this one. In fact, I turned it off an hour or so into it. I wasn't finding it funny at all, just really grating and annoying. I like Zach Galafinakis, Paul Rudd, and Steve Carell a lot, but this was not their finest hour. Recommend avoiding this one...

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #7,695 of 24,651
My wife and I watched "The Princess and the Frog" last night from the DVR.  It looked hand-drawn, but the last I heard, Disney had closed down their last studio for hand-drawn animation.  I also felt, after the trumpet-playing alligator show up, that I had stepped into a Don Bluth 'toon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back