Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 14, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #5,506 of 24,690
Brooklyn's Finest - 7/10 ... I am sure any cop that watches this movie will be angry, especially NYC cops.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #5,508 of 24,690
Apocalypse Now. This is not that Redux crap. This is 153 minutes of visual bliss and joy. A superior film which hypnotizes the audience for the major part of the film. The script is simply ace. Not one minute of screen time is wasted, and Martin Sheen's performance is perfect - depicting a hollow war veteran.

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #5,509 of 24,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by J W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Science Fiction recommendations?

I debated whether I should start a new thread for this or not, but I thought i'd keep it in this thread for sake of order and forum cleanliness. Anyway, I recently saw the movie Moon. Terrific! Are there any others out there that are like it? 2001:A Space Odyssey and Solyaris are both great, but I've seen each countless times.

Here's two for you. The first I'd give 9/10, and probably comes closer to the plot-driven, plot-twist aspects of "Moon" (which I also loved) than the second. The second, however, is one of the few films I'd give a perfect '10' to:

Dark City

and

The City of Lost Children I don't know that I'd put this in Sci-Fi, per se, it actually defies classification. It is surreal.

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #5,510 of 24,690
^Great recommendations.

The Men Who Stare at Goats - 6/10

Precious - 7/10

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #5,511 of 24,690
i love let the right one in, i even bought the swedish version so i could get the better subtitles
smily_headphones1.gif

I saw the green zone last night, and i was expecting it to be alot like the bourne movies, and it wasnt but it was still good, 4.5/5

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #5,512 of 24,690
Hurt Locker - I have no idea about the context of this film, i.e. how realistic this is but the film is very good. War as an addiction; a theme that should give anyone some things to think about. Going to rate it 9/10.

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #5,513 of 24,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's two for you. The first I'd give 9/10, and probably comes closer to the plot-driven, plot-twist aspects of "Moon" (which I also loved) than the second. The second, however, is one of the few films I'd give a perfect '10' to:

Dark City

and

The City of Lost Children I don't know that I'd put this in Sci-Fi, per se, it actually defies classification. It is surreal.

Thank you very much. I've added both to my netflix queue.

In the meantime I watched The Vanishing, the Dutch version. Oh gracious, this film is disturbing. Good acting, Great development and suspense. But I'm completely turned off it at the moment. I'd love to give it 1/10 just for the ending, but i'll give 7.8 points for the movie plus .2 points for the scene of the Frenchman trying to say "attach it." 8/10

Mar 15, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #5,516 of 24,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by J W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you very much. I've added both to my netflix queue.

In the meantime I watched The Vanishing, the Dutch version. Oh gracious, this film is disturbing. Good acting, Great development and suspense. But I'm completely turned off it at the moment. I'd love to give it 1/10 just for the ending, but i'll give 7.8 points for the movie plus .2 points for the scene of the Frenchman trying to say "attach it." 8/10

Oh, man, did you have to remind me of "The Vanishing"?!!? That ending was one I hoped to forget. And now you've gone and stuck it in my head again! Yeah, I'd agree....8/10 with the warning that is it a truly creepy film. I seem to recall an American remake that just didn't come close to the original. What a surprise.

I also enjoyed, "Let the Right One In" but had the misfortune to get a dubbed version with no subtitles. I'm going to have to watch it with subtitles as the dubbing was truly terrible.

Be forewarned, "City of Lost Children" is not like "Dark City". It is, as I said, like nothing you've ever seen. Reminds me a bit of Terry Gilliam's Brazil, but there is not a word spoken as I recall. It's visually stunning, completely surreal, and quite wonderful.

We watched "A Streetcar Named Desire" tonight - Still great after all those years. Can't believe 5 Oscars and Brando didn't get one! 9/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back