Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Sep 6, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #4,533 of 24,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyson - 9/10

I've been wondering about that doc; need to check it out

--

It has been a couple years since I watched the Departed. It keeps getting better. 9/10 On a side note, I'm really bummed Shutter Island was pushed back to February. That's an ominous release date. Maybe along with The Wolfman, the studios are trying to pack some quality into the dead months? I'm hoping at least.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #4,534 of 24,680
The International - 8/10

Surprisingly well done. Nice combination of European & American influences. Reminded me of the spy movies of the 60's 70's. However, I am left with an overwhelming feeling of cynicism to the ways of the world.

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #4,535 of 24,680
Inglourious Basterds - 9/10

Another wonderful film from Quentin with all the violence, unexpected plot twists, terrific dialog, and quirks and fetishes you expect from him.

The movie overturns every WW II film stereotype and cliché while also paying tribute to them. That is an achievement right there, but the screenplay is also superb, with hardly a misplaced or unnecessary word. The main characters are well developed, interesting and intelligent. They don't fly on autopilot knowing how things are going to end - they don't, just how it is in real life.

Also, the film is gorgeously shot with incredible colors, set designs, costumes, the works. The acting was terrific, too, and I'm thrilled Quentin used European actors in major roles instead of going to the Hollywood A-list. They deserve international recognition.

My only complaint is that the Basterds were never fully developed as characters. They're there, but you hardly know who they are or why they were motivated (beyond the obvious) to join the team. It would have meant a longer movie and a few detours, but I would have loved to know more about them.

Still, one of the best movies this year (my other favorite being "Moon") and I fully plan to see it again. Quentin's movies need to be seen a few times to get everything out of them. The first viewing usually pulls you in several directions with plot twists. Once you know what's coming, you can pick up on all the small gags and humor - his movies are almost always hilarious once you get past the initial shocks in the first viewing.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #4,537 of 24,680
Sabrina - 8/10.

Love seeing Audrey Hepburn and Bogart.

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #4,539 of 24,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Inglourious Basterds - 9/10

Another wonderful film from Quentin with all the violence, unexpected plot twists, terrific dialog, and quirks and fetishes you expect from him.

The movie overturns every WW II film stereotype and cliché while also paying tribute to them. That is an achievement right there, but the screenplay is also superb, with hardly a misplaced or unnecessary word. The main characters are well developed, interesting and intelligent. They don't fly on autopilot knowing how things are going to end - they don't, just how it is in real life.

Also, the film is gorgeously shot with incredible colors, set designs, costumes, the works. The acting was terrific, too, and I'm thrilled Quentin used European actors in major roles instead of going to the Hollywood A-list. They deserve international recognition.

My only complaint is that the Basterds were never fully developed as characters. They're there, but you hardly know who they are or why they were motivated (beyond the obvious) to join the team. It would have meant a longer movie and a few detours, but I would have loved to know more about them.

Still, one of the best movies this year (my other favorite being "Moon") and I fully plan to see it again. Quentin's movies need to be seen a few times to get everything out of them. The first viewing usually pulls you in several directions with plot twists. Once you know what's coming, you can pick up on all the small gags and humor - his movies are almost always hilarious once you get past the initial shocks in the first viewing.

I can't beleive anyone thought this was a tarantino masterpiece. The jew hunter was the one character who was developed in any way, and I suspect that was down to the actor over and above anything else.

There was the tired staid tarantino philosophical-esque monologue at the beginning of the film, coincidentally enough by the jew hunter character, which let you know you was watching a tarantino, but beyond that it was devoid of anything much at all.

For tarantino fans this was a let down, and the dialogue, which really should be the driver for this film as there was seriously little else, was just not captivating or interesting enough to carry the film forward. Now reservoir dogs, being essentially filmed in its entirety in a dull warehouse, had to be led by dialogue and it succeeded, inglorious bastards was just naff and really could have been so much more, so much better, indeed, it should have been when you consider the cast, the director/writer and the idea.

Definitely over hyped, and a seriously potential filled idea poorly executed.

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #4,540 of 24,680
inglorious basterds

the movie if i recall is broken up into 5 chapters. two of them were great. the others were okay. a pretty uneven movie, but worth seeing - esp if you like tarantino.

7/10

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #4,541 of 24,680
Gamer: 7.5/10

It was kind of sad to see what the future holds for online communities like Head-fi.
confused_face.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #4,542 of 24,680
A Clockwork Orange - 8/10

First 1/3 of the film was alright although there were a bit too many trippy moments than I can see was needed. The middle part is by far the best: Everything starting from when he was imprisoned up to around the time he was released was ace. The last bit felt a little bit contrived and slightly heavy-handed but still works, I guess.

All in all, I'm thinking that the more I revisit Kubrick's films, the more I'm convinced that he really was a master of style and atmosphere more than anything else. I'm not so much a fan of how he tells a story, but his use of camera is always excellent and the music is great - even that I could say for his films which I don't quite like.

If Tarantino made films around the time this was made (late 60/early 70s), I could imagine him making something to this effect. That's probably going to be a controversial statement, but what the heck. The dialogue might be the best part of the it all, the characters were excellently written, lots of memorably referentiable material, and everything was filmed in a style that seemed to be ahead of its time.

I still prefer Dr Strangelove more as far as Kubrick films are concerned, but I liked this. Malcolm McDowell as Alex is iconic more than anything else.

I walk down the lane with a happy refrain / I'm singin', just singin' in the rain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back