Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 18, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #21,841 of 24,655
Sorry To Bother You (9/10)

This movie was a total trip, loved it! There's so much I want to say about it but would probably be spoilers. It's from a first-time writer/director and definitely felt like it in every way possible. It was also one of the most hilarious movies I've seen that wasn't a comedy. Definitely not a movie that will appeal to everyone, but anyone who can appreciate a satirical meta quasi-magical/sci-fi indie art-house type of film should love this as much as I did.

Jul 18, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #21,842 of 24,655
If you guys have 4K HDR setups, The Matrix UHD Blu Ray has been out. Which I really want to get my hands on (since it's one of my all time favs) I believe it's 4k scans of the original film.

I just recently purchased a Philips BDP7502 UHD 4K Player for my 4K OLED TV. This was a good buy since it's reasonably priced and also support Dolby Vision. Probably start a UHD Blu Ray collection since it's higher quality than UHD streams.

712uC88UmrL._SX342_.jpg

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #21,843 of 24,655
If you guys have 4K HDR setups, The Matrix UHD Blu Ray has been out. Which I really want to get my hands on (since it's one of my all time favs) I believe it's 4k scans of the original film.

I just recently purchased a Philips BDP7502 UHD 4K Player for my 4K OLED TV. This was a good buy since it's reasonably priced and also support Dolby Vision. Probably start a UHD Blu Ray collection since it's higher quality than UHD streams.

I really miss having a home theater setup with a huge TV. I used to have one in my basement with 5 JBL Northridge speakers. They were only under $200 each and blew away some $1000 Axiom Speakers I bought once when I was richer.

I used to stay current with techology, but now I only have a 37" TV thanks to apartment living :triportsad:.
It's hard to believe these days you can get a 4k 50" TV for under $450 now.
A decent 4k TV is on my wish list. Too many other priorities.

Anyway, They really need more movies like The Matrix. The director of that should be allowed to make more movies.
I think their last movies did terrible at the box office.

I didn't really appreciate The Matrix until I saw it many times.

Jul 19, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #21,844 of 24,655
Fear the Walking Dead Season 1 - 8/10
Surprised how much different this is than "The Walking Dead".
It's WAY slower, but with less interesting characters you don't really care that much about.

Fear the Walking Dead Season 2 - ???/10
Probably a 5.5/10 so far.

I'm on episode 10 I think and can't believe how bad this series is now.
I've bought each episode and it wasn't worth the $2 each. I barely finished each one.
All the characters are poorly written and the whole series is a mess.
Why do the characters always seem like they are half asleep all the time?
Madison is easily the worst character. She seems to have the same expression like 90% of the time.
There is not one season of "TWD" that is really this bad IMO.

BTW I've heard some saw this series is way better than "TWD" and better written etc.
Hopefully it improves by season 3.

Worst thing about it is that I can't stand any of it's characters.
Only decent character was Victor maybe.

Jul 19, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #21,845 of 24,655
I really miss having a home theater setup with a huge TV. I used to have one in my basement with 5 JBL Northridge speakers. They were only under $200 each and blew away some $1000 Axiom Speakers I bought once when I was richer.

I used to stay current with techology, but now I only have a 37" TV thanks to apartment living :triportsad:.

Anyway, They really need more movies like The Matrix. The director of that should be allowed to make more movies.

Apartment living shouldn't prevent you getting a proper tv. I've had a 55" tv and a pair of Genelec M040s hooked up to it for about three years now, and I've had the setup in three different sized apartments.
Granted, I won't expand it into a full blown home theater until I've got my own house.

And to stay on topic, went to see Solo: A Star Wars Story last week, and I found it to be enjoyable. Definitely a positive surprise after The Last Jedi.

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #21,846 of 24,655

What a coincidance I had a JBL Northridge set long ago. Man did they perform very well for the budget!

JBL are excellent value for the money. I'm not into 5 point+ setups anymore and I use JBL LSR305 currently, and they are simple and sound great for 2 channel. Of course much better than my TV speakers.

I think at minimum you can do 55inches in an apartment. Perhaps even 65in if large enough space. You have to be at the right distance to see the whole screen. Without moving your head and closest you are the more details of the 4K HDR you will notice.

You can def get some excellen TVs for great value now a days. Awhile back I splurged on LG OLED. I really wanted precise deep blacks. Newer models may have higher nits if whatching during the day, although I have no issues with daylight effecting.

4K HDR OLED is probably the truest precise HDR you can find due to the low level of blacks controlled pricese location of pixels which provide high dynamic range.

UHD 4K Blu Ray has the highest image quality, better than 4K streaming.

There are quite a few I want in 4K resolution and highest color and dynamic rnage possible or HDR. Want Minority report, Saving private Ryan, Indiana Jones, original Blade Runner, and the original Star Wars Trilogy. If they scan the film in 4K HDR that is. Something I notice is that high resolution film scans picks up film noise due to the precision. That's not what I want. I want lowest noise possible with highest details.

I think maximizing the quality of the film whatching really enhances the experience, makes the time well worth spending.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #21,847 of 24,655
And to stay on topic, went to see Solo: A Star Wars Story last week, and I found it to be enjoyable. Definitely a positive surprise after The Last Jedi.
I hope so. Ron Howard made some good films in the past, and I was hoping his directorial skills would strengthen the movie. You need the right producing as well, and Kathleen Kennedy is too clouded with irrelavant agendas to be a clear thinking creative producer.

Jul 22, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #21,849 of 24,655

I got this (The Matrix) UHD Blu Ray recently, and I got to say that the quality of the filming back in the 90's isn't as good as what gets translated these days. What you get as you get higher resolution scans of the 35mm film from the 90's is highly noticeable graininess in the picture, and also some color shifting with this noise. It gets to the point of annoyance at times. Personally, I don't think it's worth the UHD conversion compared to the films actually shot with digital 4K+ cameras. I'm no expert on cinema camera technology, but perhaps the new cameras film or solid-state storage based both use solid-state sensors that have much lower noise output than cameras from back in the days.

The Crown on Netflix has very high quality imaging, and It used Sony PMW-F55 CineAlta 4K Digital Camera. Digital.

The new BBC nature documentaries are of very high quality. Some of the scenes used Red Epic Dragon 6K. I was told that some scenes were in 4K and others 2K (which I do notice the reduction in resolution). I just recently purchased Planet Earth II. Wonder what camera was used for this one?

Westworld has excellent picture quality as well, and I would have suspected Digital Camera, but they've used 35mm film. Interesting...

So I guess it's not whether it's film or digital when it comes of quality of the imaging, but technology being most up to date as when we look back on old films, the flaws are more obvious due to the picture quality standards we have today.

The Matrix as a content, I highly regard. Although whatching it now a days I do notice the dated-ness of the film. No doubt that film was well made looking at what is out there now a days. Today's films may have the updated tech, and may visually appeal better, but the quality of the content is really lacking. I was in the store looking at the more modern UHD releases and I have no reasons to own majority of them due to them being not worth watching more than once (that is if I even finish the movie). And why does the industry complain about low demand for movies these days? How about better and original content with total creative freedom?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #21,850 of 24,655
Nameless Gangster (8.6/10)

Just like the title states, it's a movie about Korean mob. Korean mob movies is kinda interesting, it's a different take from the usual US mobster movies/shows. Takes places in the 80's to the 90's, and probably a good time period for obvious corruptions when the country is still in a developmental phase. Entertaining, kept me interested. I guess I like the crime/gang type griddy genres. Just seem so real to me, the crime world related stuff.

It's on Amazon as a Prime Video. Or you can also watch it on Asian Crush as well (no subscription required).

444b742a.jpg

My favorite Korean gangster movie would be Friend (Chingu) which I would rate is 9/10

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #21,851 of 24,655
Dunkirk 3/10

Maybe should give higher ratings for the production values but no? What a fall for Nolan. Spitfires, boats what´s not to like? A lot.
Hardy make a complete mess as a spitfire pilot. The airplane fighting scenes is so bad and inaccurate. And sensationally bad ending sequence.

Extinction unrated. I did not get to the ending on this one. Super predictable and just not good.

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #21,853 of 24,655
That implies that he has a height to fall from. He's been mediocre his entire career.
I liked all his movies prior to this. I got the nolan box 4K so it´s a coming project revisiting them all again. But I will unlikely ever see Dunkirk again.

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #21,854 of 24,655
That implies that he has a height to fall from. He's been mediocre his entire career.
Main thing going for his films is that he uses 70mm imax cameras. Inception was alright although his approach wasn't all that real. Dunkirk was just boring. Intersteller was What just happened.

I guess his highlight was Batman with the fake sounding voice. Haha. Wasn't much of a fan, I preferred the Burton's first Batman.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #21,855 of 24,655
Pacific Rim Uprising (7/10)

I actually watched this all the way through. I was going to take a pass, but decided to check it out (due to lack of good movie options lately). I was entertained, and I think it was due to the movie being fast paced with lots of action. Yeah, the dialog is cliche and corny, the story is cliche, but I guess it's worth watching for the SFX work done on it. So yeah, my rating is couple points higher than what's out there. I guess it wasn't as bad as I expected with the percentage ratings out there.

Expect this to be more like a children's movie akin to Power Ranger. LOL.

I'd consider watching it 4K HDR just to see how much better it looks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back