Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 14, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #21,826 of 24,630
Ready Player One (7.75/10)

It's a Spielberg movie, which got me interested. I wonder if my perspective on this movie would be different if I didn't know it was a Spielberg movie and all the hype that was around it (perhaps my score would reduce by .75 points if his name wasn't attached to it). It just seems this generation of movie releases just puts up too much hype around the movies, but I guess Spielberg's name attached to it contributed.

The start of the movie was a bit slow. VR goggles thing just didn't seem realistic with the virtual world. I didn't like the way the two main computer characters looked, didn't seem that thoughtful. For a Spielberg movie, this movie doesn't have originality, plot depth, or something deep behind the story. The story is straightforward, and it's cliche. This is 2018, and majority of releases seem cliche (why is Millennial generation the clieche generation, do they like originally? This generation seems to be just rehash of things). What happened to adaption/productions like Minority Report? Spielberg just went the wrong direction after association with the movie Transformers, and this one, which doesn't seem genuinely Spielberg from his best times(when you can tell he poured his heart into the movies). I guess it's more of a cartoon, but not with cute animals like pretty much 90% percent of American animation seems to be, but still, it's not even close to adult animation from Japan (Like Ghost in the Shell, etc..). Too corny for it to be taken that seriously.

The plot got little more interesting, and the Shining scene was good, and loved the Gundam being released. Lots of recognizable trademarks, but that will not boost the movie's thoughtfulness (which is lacking severely). Decent enough to get me though the movie to the end, as the film gets more interesting to watch during the middle and picks up toward the end. So, you will at least be entertained.

This movie sort of reminds me of the original Tron with the IOI corporation thing.

It's a typical Millennial generation creation faire, no originality. I bet the book has more depth.

share3.jpg

Soundtrack on the other hand, there were tracks I liked.

Also, Blue Monday by New Order as well. That was surprising

Attachments

• share3.jpg
    share3.jpg
    806.9 KB · Views: 0
  • share3.jpg
    share3.jpg
    806.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #21,828 of 24,630
Jurassic Park - 5/10

I actually find the entire movie boring and the acting is very annoying to me and not very realistic.
I like Lauren Dern in nearly everything she's done, but I can't stand her in this movie for some reason.

Jurassic Park 2 - The Lost World - 9/10

This was a huge surprise. I haven't seen this since 1998 and don't remember much of it at all.
Turns out I loved it after not having seen it for such a long time.
I was planning on watching part of it and then playing some video games, but we too entertained and kept watching it.
Back when I first saw it, nobody seemed to know who Vince Vaughn was! I never even knew he was in this until today.
I have to admit that I like Jeff Golbum as an actor too. Maybe that's why I like Independence Day so much.
He's been in a lot of my favorite movies.

BTW I found Part 3 and the one after that to be horrible. I don't think i'll be seeing the latest one.
No way Jose (LOL). Jurassic Park is one of the greatest ever! It's dated in the lastest scientific evidence of how they looked. The whole series is dated (as they don't want to turn their backs how they decided to portray the dinosaurs.).

The original Jurassic Park is the best one.

I can watch this movie again and again without getting bored. Just fantastic film making.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #21,829 of 24,630
Glow - Netflix - Season 1 (8.7/10)

I very much enjoy this show about gorgeous ladies of wrestling. :smile_phones: Character development is great. The characters and humor(actually funny) of it all comes off more realistic than most shows. Pretty original, and just real fun to watch. I wish it was longer than 30min per episode, I can go through the season quickly since it's such a good show.

I think Season 2 is more interesting, and I've gone through the episodes so quickly.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #21,830 of 24,630
Ready Player One (7.75/10)

It's a Spielberg movie, which got me interested. I wonder if my perspective on this movie would be different if I didn't know it was a Spielberg movie and all the hype that was around it (perhaps my score would reduce by .75 points if his name wasn't attached to it). It just seems this generation of movie releases just puts up too much hype around the movies, but I guess Spielberg's name attached to it contributed.

The start of the movie was a bit slow. VR goggles thing just didn't seem realistic with the virtual world. I didn't like the way the two main computer characters looked, didn't seem that thoughtful. For a Spielberg movie, this movie doesn't have originality, plot depth, or something deep behind the story. The story is straightforward, and it's cliche. This is 2018, and majority of releases seem cliche (why is Millennial generation the clieche generation, do they like originally? This generation seems to be just rehash of things). What happened to adaption/productions like Minority Report? Spielberg just went the wrong direction after association with the movie Transformers, and this one, which doesn't seem genuinely Spielberg from his best times(when you can tell he poured his heart into the movies). I guess it's more of a cartoon, but not with cute animals like pretty much 90% percent of American animation seems to be, but still, it's not even close to adult animation from Japan (Like Ghost in the Shell, etc..). Too corny for it to be taken that seriously.

The plot got little more interesting, and the Shining scene was good, and loved the Gundam being released. Lots of recognizable trademarks, but that will not boost the movie's thoughtfulness (which is lacking severely). Decent enough to get me though the movie to the end, as the film gets more interesting to watch during the middle and picks up toward the end. So, you will at least be entertained.

This movie sort of reminds me of the original Tron with the IOI corporation thing.

It's a typical Millennial generation creation faire, no originality. I bet the book has more depth.

Soundtrack on the other hand, there were tracks I liked.

Also, Blue Monday by New Order as well. That was surprising

You might be surprised to know that the screenplay was written by people born in 1968 and 1972 (not millennials), Spielberg is also not a millennial.
Just because something is poorly written by old people to SELL to the target AUDIENCE of millennial doesn't mean it's the fault of millennials. To say that this is "typical millennial generation creation faire" when the product at hand was created by Generation X is disingenuous to say the least.
Granted, as the older folks try their darndest to get millennial dollars into their already bulging pockets they are bound to make terrible movies appealing to the new cool, but you shouldn't blame the youth because grandpa can't electric slide.

My apologies for the snowflakery, I've run out of avocado toast and it's put me out of my safe space.

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #21,831 of 24,630
ready player one was entertaining for the most part. but I got 2 really big issues:
-1/ the guy presented as the nice genius, sets up a challenge only a pure megalomaniac would. not much about being a good a guy, a skilled guy, or a clever guy, it's mostly about being a fanboy of the creator himself... that's super lame.
-2/ any scene with people moving around by actually walking in their houses and even on the street... what the fluff? anybody with half a brain could figure out how this cannot practically work in almost any game(putting aside how dangerous it would be).

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #21,833 of 24,630
Regarding "Ready Player One", while I've only seen the trailer, I've had a hard time imagining I'd like it better than "Summer Wars", the 2009 anime film (story and direction by Mamoru Hosada, screenplay by Satoko Okudera). The organic inclusion of family relationships and dynamics in Mamoru Hosada's works is something that's not so common in Hollywood blockbusters... probably due to Hollywood's now decades-long obsession with Christopher Vogler's adaptation of Joseph Campbell's "Hero's Journey" and the collective confusion it's created in writers about what a character arc actually is, and what constitutes a good story. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked like Ready Player One was spit out of a "The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers" novel to screenplay workshop.

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #21,834 of 24,630
forget Summer Wars, yes there is a fancy WWW of sort too and there are teens involved, but that's pretty much where any similarity ends. it's not Sword Art Online, or Accel World, it's not any of the multitude of VR stuff gone wrong that you can read or view as anime. the trailer is misleading in the way it's trying to make a big deal of not much(like a trailer will do), but the premise is as explained in it. some guy left a quest with crappy clues to get crazy rich, and people try to win. if the super evil bad guy was left to win, people would live in hell, with stuff like having to pay for more DLCs. ^_^ OK it would be slightly worst, but that's the idea. the guy just wants to make money, he's no Thanos.
what makes the movie entertaining is the 3D stuff, the rest was subpar IMO.

Jul 16, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #21,835 of 24,630
The Handmaid's Tale Season 1 (9/10)

OK there agrontium aura, If you thought season 1 hit an eight, You ain't seen nothing yet.While there is no mistaking this is Ms Moss's lovechild effort, she is savvy enough to realise her acting acumen will not carry the series. Enter season two where the secondary and tertiary players get a lot more exposition and all for the better. While it is still Ms Moss's show, it moves along soley on the roads paved by the rest of the cast.

Not for the faint of heart this. It is actually what REAL horror is all about, no conjured monsters or wrath spewing dietys, this is about the horror only human beings can inflict on each other and particularly those closest to them.

Jul 16, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #21,836 of 24,630
forget Summer Wars, yes there is a fancy WWW of sort too and there are teens involved, but that's pretty much where any similarity ends. it's not Sword Art Online, or Accel World, it's not any of the multitude of VR stuff gone wrong that you can read or view as anime. the trailer is misleading in the way it's trying to make a big deal of not much(like a trailer will do), but the premise is as explained in it. some guy left a quest with crappy clues to get crazy rich, and people try to win. if the super evil bad guy was left to win, people would live in hell, with stuff like having to pay for more DLCs. ^_^ OK it would be slightly worst, but that's the idea. the guy just wants to make money, he's no Thanos.
what makes the movie entertaining is the 3D stuff, the rest was subpar IMO.

The devil company in ready player One is based on Electronic Arts.

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #21,837 of 24,630
OK there agrontium aura, If you thought season 1 hit an eight, You ain't seen nothing yet.While there is no mistaking this is Ms Moss's lovechild effort, she is savvy enough to realise her acting acumen will not carry the series. Enter season two where the secondary and tertiary players get a lot more exposition and all for the better. While it is still Ms Moss's show, it moves along soley on the roads paved by the rest of the cast.

Not for the faint of heart this. It is actually what REAL horror is all about, no conjured monsters or wrath spewing dietys, this is about the horror only human beings can inflict on each other and particularly those closest to them.
I actually said Season 1 was a 9/10. I'll probably watch season 2 since 1 was such a good start.

Personally, I don't like gore or visually gruesome horror. I like psychological horror. Twilight Zone, Hitchcock, and distopia or some sort of alternate world are usually interesting Sci-fi for me. For those reasons, I was into this one.

I like good fun comedy, so I like watching GLOW, and personally think it's more fun to watch since a show about distopia is more serious (sometimes you want something light-hearted and comedic). I gave Handmaid's Tale a higher score since it's so different and original, therefore interesting, and most important of all, well produced.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #21,838 of 24,630
Regarding "Ready Player One", while I've only seen the trailer, I've had a hard time imagining I'd like it better than "Summer Wars", the 2009 anime film (story and direction by Mamoru Hosada, screenplay by Satoko Okudera). The organic inclusion of family relationships and dynamics in Mamoru Hosada's works is something that's not so common in Hollywood blockbusters... probably due to Hollywood's now decades-long obsession with Christopher Vogler's adaptation of Joseph Campbell's "Hero's Journey" and the collective confusion it's created in writers about what a character arc actually is, and what constitutes a good story. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked like Ready Player One was spit out of a "The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers" novel to screenplay workshop.
That's one I have not decided to watch for some reason. I personally don't like the modern anime trend of more cartoony or cute charactic art. I guess I'm more old school, I was a big fan of mecha, space opera genre. I've also been a big fan of Akira and Ghost in the Shell, and to me 80's to 90's were the times for top anime. Now a days, I don't have the darnest idea what to watch really. I really don't like the modern trend in art style for one. My other favorites were Dragonball and SlamDunk. I liked the Slam Dunk's more realistic art style (I'm a big fan of Takehiko Inoue artworks), and Ghost in the Shell (Masamune Shirow was a genius artist and creator) and Akira were both very high production. I find the peak Japan artistry was in the 90's and something happened afterwards. Japan in the 90's was very fertile in creativity and innovations.

slam-dunk-the-movie-409853.1.jpg

c9d87bf1e07cd958c2ec7cfe4a474c5f--slam-dunk-manga-miyagi.jpg

6b457299b83caeb1b2bc8d6c076c27d6.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #21,839 of 24,630
I actually said Season 1 was a 9/10. I'll probably watch season 2 since 1 was such a good start.

Personally, I don't like gore or visually gruesome horror. I like psychological horror. Twilight Zone, Hitchcock, and distopia or some sort of alternate world are usually interesting Sci-fi for me. For those reasons, I was into this one.

I like good fun comedy, so I like watching GLOW, and personally think it's more fun to watch since a show about distopia is more serious (sometimes you want something light-hearted and comedic). I gave Handmaid's Tale a higher score since it's so different and original, therefore interesting, and most important of all, well produced.

If you are a reader tnen from what I gleaned from this thread Nick Harkaways writing might be right up your alley

Jul 17, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #21,840 of 24,630
If you are a reader tnen from what I gleaned from this thread Nick Harkaways writing might be right up your alley
I'm not much of a reader as I prefer the visual medium as I'm mainly a visual person and it's easier when visuals are fed to me concretely. I'll definately consider checking out the author. Thanks for the recommendation.

I also think Philip K Dick's worlds are interesting, but that's just based on strong movies I've seen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back