Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 3, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #21,871 of 24,630
Cool, I was curious if camera tech improved from the 90''s to what it is today. Any videos or links on that? Or can you go into that? How about dynamic range, noise improvements? It seems old films seem to lack in those respects. Perhaps better productions now?

Yeah, I think the most limiting factor for releasing movies on 4K (and you know 8K will come out sometime) is that the early digital cameras were limited to HD resolutions with limited dynamic range (some of the earliest ones were even below 1080P). DxOMark is a pretty popular site for camera sensor scores. The RED Helium 8K cinema camera is their highest score for dynamic range: the sensor gets close to 16 stops of light at base ISO, and records at 16bit RAW (RAW is like a digital negative). Many mirrorless/DSLR camera sensors can capture over 14 stops of light, but RAW tends to be 14bit (as the 14+ stops is just at base ISO). Processors have gotten better at handling noise, but it's always going to be a factor that if a scene is filmed in a dark environment, they have to raise ISO (and there will be more apparent noise/film grain). One of my HD demos has been the movie Baraka: it was a film made in the 90s, and filmed throughout the world (lovely scenery and photography). They spent great care in filming everything on quality 70mm. The telecine they did was 8K, and the BD track is 96khz....so I know it will look awesome on UHD. I'm interested in seeing 2001: Kubrick was also a photographer and the movie was filmed on 70mm to be shown on very large screens. Barry Lyndon would be another interesting movie: he filmed in dark environments, but used low ISO because he had a Zeiss specialty lens that had a whopping f/0.7 aperture (lets in several stops of light more then regular lenses). But I think films from the 80s and 90s started getting more grain because they assumed it was adequate for smaller multiplex screens. I recently saw Starship Troopers in 4K: the soundtrack was very good, and being involved with 3D animation, I was interested in seeing how early CGI looked. Colors and sharpness was good, but most all shots had grain. Maybe lots of grain will be considered by some to be aesthetically be pleasing...like lomo photography (collecting cheap cameras that produce odd, inferior images).

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #21,872 of 24,630
The Vampire Doll- 7/10
A pseudo-vampire film made by Toho in japan back in 1970. It billed itself as a vampire film but really isn't one but is loaded with the appropriate atmosphere. The new blu-ray release by Arrow is outstanding and I recommend the film to anyone who likes old horror films of this type.

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #21,873 of 24,630
Aliens - 10/10

This somehow keeps getting better and better. Too bad about that annoying screaming every 10 seconds :)
Hopefully someday I can see this in the theater. I actually only have the DVD of it!
I probably mentioned this before but I hated the first one somehow.
Prometheus was also one of the worst experiences i've had seeing a movie in years.
It's very rare that I'm actually mad about seeing such a terrible movie after leaving the theater.

I'm not a huge fan of James Cameron movies, but I think my favorites from him are The Abyss, True Lies and this.

Why also isn't there a blu-ray of "True Lies"? I think James Cameron said he was too busy to work on it.
Who cares, just let someone else do it. No special features needed.

I also hate to admit i've seen "Titanic" dozens of times. Pretty awful until they hit the iceberg.
Most of the dialogue is pretty cringe-worthy IMO.

Fear the Walking Dead Season 4 - 8.5/10
(up to episode 8, new episodes on TV soon)

So much better than any other season. I'm also glad that Madison got less screen time.
The only thing I absolutely HATE is how they have to tell the entire story in flashbacks. So annoying!

Episode 8 was probably one of the best episodes of any season of "The Walking Dead" or this series.
I can see how some would hate it though. On rotten tomatoes it's one of the lowest rated for the series so far.

The acting this season is also a lot better and i'm glad Morgan was added to the cast.

PS previous seasons were disappointing. I regret being stupid and paying $1.99 per episode for Season 3. Total waste!
I should have been smart and just got a used DVD and resold it when done.

If you love "The Walking Dead" like me and have not see this series, it's probably worth watching.
I just find they are not very similar at all.
"Fear the Walking Dead" seems WAY slower and seems to have less zombies. Most of the time I felt as if I was just waiting for something interesting to happen.
It's also hard for me to watch a show where I don't like most of the characters all that much.
Only ones I liked so far were Travis, John Dorie and Victor. Nick was easily the most annoying character of any TV show.

World's Fastest Indian - 10/10

One of my favorites and not many negatives I can come up with for this.

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #21,874 of 24,630
^^^^^^^^
So agree with you on this.

World's Fastest Indian - 10/10

One of my favorites and not many negatives I can come

Such a great little under the radar film. Whoever is reading this thread and hasn’t seen this little gem, dont do yourself a disservice any longer and just watch it. A lot of heart.

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #21,875 of 24,630
That movie is one of Anthony Hopkins best. I feel he can get hammy in a lot of his roles, but he’s very genuine in Fastest Indian. That and The Elephant Man with John Hurt are some of his bests IMO.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #21,876 of 24,630
Couldn’t agree more. I never thought owning close to 3000 Blu-ray’s actually could create such opportunities it has for me.
The WFI sat in my collection for close to 2 years before watching it. What a mistake.
I never believed Hopkins could play such an understated role even though it was a powerhouse of a performance. You’ve inspired me to fire it up again and give it another watch. Thank you :thumbsup:

Aug 5, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #21,877 of 24,630
That movie is one of Anthony Hopkins best. I feel he can get hammy in a lot of his roles, but he’s very genuine in Fastest Indian. That and The Elephant Man with John Hurt are some of his bests IMO.
No The remains of the Day.

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #21,878 of 24,630
I was wondering why you guys were such fans of that movie, so I went to check the trailer in case I somehow remembered it wrong(after all it's been a while). and... well... I was thinking about "million dollar arm":sweat_smile:. they're Indians and they throw fast... great job brain!

Aug 7, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #21,880 of 24,630
Trailer does not really cut it here. This is the unsung masterpiece of a consummate actors career.

Aug 7, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #21,881 of 24,630
Yeah, agreed. Trailers never do the trick but at least it shows what the movie is about if someone doesn’t know anything about it. Plus all the other trailers were in standard 480i which I wouldn’t think about posting.
The guys that subscribe to this thread that haven’t seen it just need to do it. I’d love to talk about it with a group.

Aug 7, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #21,882 of 24,630
Seems like that will happen given the warmth the film has gotten here so far.

Can a shoe polish and tyre party be far off:)

Aug 7, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #21,883 of 24,630
unlike with a good blockbuster where all the movie is in the trailer, and most of the time the trailer is actually much better than the movie. ^_^ I love how nowadays sometimes they don't even hesitate to have scenes in the trailer that aren't in the movie. it's just next level marketing abuse.
I always thought the dumbest things were "trailers" for games where you have zero game play scene in it, but modern movie trailers are slowly coming there.

Aug 8, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #21,884 of 24,630
The Forest of the Lost Souls (2018) 8/10

A delightful Portuguese/Spanish pscho/horror film shot in BW with a limited budget which hits above its weight in a lo of areas. Well put together effort worth watching for fans of the genre tired of the mainstream hackery doled out by hollywhore studios.

Aug 8, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #21,885 of 24,630
unlike with a good blockbuster where all the movie is in the trailer, and most of the time the trailer is actually much better than the movie. ^_^ I love how nowadays sometimes they don't even hesitate to have scenes in the trailer that aren't in the movie. it's just next level marketing abuse.
I always thought the dumbest things were "trailers" for games where you have zero game play scene in it, but modern movie trailers are slowly coming there.
Well if the scenes is not in the movie you are not spoiling it I think it should be the norm. In general I don´t watch trailers though. It´s like watching commercials on the tv and then buy that hair spray based on all the lies...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back