Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 23, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #21,346 of 24,654
Do yourself a favour and avoid the miserable remake at all costs:)

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #21,347 of 24,654
Do yourself a favour and avoid the miserable remake at all costs:)

Diabolical is it? :D I didn't know there was a remake actually, but not surprising as everything seems to get remade given enough time. I'll blacklist that then. Looking for a Christmas movie to watch tonight, thinking maybe Silent Night, Bloody Night.

Dec 23, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #21,348 of 24,654
I'd vote for Black Christmas rather than another remake.

Personally I am thinking about the L A adaptation of Tokyo Ghoul. And yes, I should damn well know better:)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116095/

An almost incomprehensible adaptation foisted on an unsuspecting public by Hollywood to cash in on popular (at the time ) actresses. It is to film what a rusted Lada is to a Formula 1 car.

Dec 24, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #21,349 of 24,654
I should have heeded your advice @Hutnicks...

silent_night_bloody_night_poster_01.jpg

Silent Night, Bloody Night : 2/10

What's that I hear? The sound of the bottom of the barrel being scraped maybe? This was abysmal. A credibility-stretching tale of incest and revenge told in the most incompetent way possible. Plot: illogical, acting: mainly terrible, lighting: non-existent, editing: shoddy, pace: snail's. There were so many pointless scenes where it seemed like the director just forgot to shout 'cut'; case in point: for no apparent reason, one of the antagonists, on his way to the Butler house, opens a drawer, looks in it and closes it again, before selecting a gun from his gun rack. Consequently, it drags interminably; I found myself fighting sleep on numerous occasions. To make matters worse, large sections of the story are relayed through narration, which is done so flatly it has the tendency to make it even more soporific. The only redeeming features I could find were a few moments of genuine creepiness, like the stream of lunatics freed from the asylum, the axe murder and a striking shot involving an eyeball and a broken glass.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #21,350 of 24,654
"It's A Wonderful Life" [10/10]: A perennial Christmas classic that needs no description. It embodies the true sprit of the Christmas season and the power of simple kindness. I watch it every year and have large parts of it memorized. I enjoy it each year nevertheless; along with every version of "A Christmas Carol" (this year, I particularly enjoyed the George C. Scott version...) and "White Christmas." These classic films feel like a warm cup of hot chocolate on a cold, winter night; a Christmas present to myself. Merry Christmas, Clarence and to all here at Head-Fi. "God bless us, every one."

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #21,353 of 24,654
Merry Christmas @SilverEars, everyone! My fave Christmas movie is Gremlins, closely followed by Die Hard and Trading Places. I guess I'm stuck in the 80s!
Haha, I didn't think about those. Those are some of my top movies as well, and they are also holiday movies arn't they? I'm stuck in the 80's as well. Those were some good times for movies along with the 90's.

I really loved watching Gremlins growing up.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #21,355 of 24,654
serenityposter_web-270x400.jpg

Serenity : 3/10

Hopelessly derivative sci-fi in which Nathan Fillion does his best Han Solo impression (it's not very good), and when she isn't handing improbably immobile goons their asses on plates, Summer Glau mopes around in search of a good bath. Production values aren't bad, as you might expect, and yet there's an air-brushed, cartoonish quality to the visuals that seem like the polar opposite of the Lived-In Universe concept that made the worlds of Star Wars and Alien so tangible and immersive. The film should also have ended about 20 minutes before it does, but insists on a cheesy epilogue to tie up the loose ends. Bland silage that I'll struggle to remember having watched a week from now.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #21,356 of 24,654
Summer Glau, the actress who has torpedoed every single vehicle she has appeared in.

You seem to be on a streak there Ape:)

Dec 25, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #21,357 of 24,654
Summer Glau, the actress who has torpedoed every single vehicle she has appeared in.

You seem to be on a streak there Ape:)

Oh, you know, strikes and gutters, ups and downs... To be fair, I don't think Ms. Glau was solely responsible for the sinking of the good ship Serenity. It's actually the first film I've seen her in but she seems to be an actress whose emotional range is directly correlated with how much she can make her eyes bulge.

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #21,358 of 24,654
Which no doubt explains here absence from acting these days.

Merry Christmas to all you film fans.

Dec 25, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #21,359 of 24,654
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - 7.75/10

I was a fan of the last 2 in the series and that's why I had to see this.
It was worth watching and one of the more fun movies i've seen at the theaters in awhile.
It's pretty funny at times and I actually like the Rock as an actor.
I can't say it was a total waste of $10
I was almost going to see the latest Star Wars movie but I HATED the last two.

BTW slight spoiler. All the main actors are playing kids who are struck in the bodies of video game characters!
This made it a lot more interesting.

Fences - 5/10

I'm really sorry, but I could not stand this movie. I bet I would like the play a lot more.
Of course the acting was good though. Despite my dislike for the film, it does make me think a lot.
BTW what surprised me the most from this movie was the excessive use of the N-word, mostly by it's main characters. No I didn't find it offensive.

Somehow this movie reminded me the an older South Korean movie called "Blood and Bones" with Takashi Kitano. It's a movie about a father who makes everyone around him feel miserable. Easily one of the most depressing movies to watch. The father in that film makes Denzel Washington's character seem like such a nice guy in comparison.

PS "Jan Dara" is another one that's severally underrated with similar themes that more people need to watch. It's another tough movie to watch. Sadly, most people think it's some sort of adult film, but it's not. It just does have a LOT of bad stuff in it.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #21,360 of 24,654
Bright: I'll give a very confused 7/10 for efforts. because I'd actually love to see more of those so I do not want to be too hard on it. but it was faaaar from being flawless.
I start watching, having no idea what it is(I saw Will Smith and decided it would be at least entertaining because of him). the music starts, with views on street graffiti (special ones) and I'm like "no way!!!! this is going to be amaaaaazing!". then after 5min I'm like "ok so this is District Nine, very fine by me". then it got simpler and more expected as it went. at times it was super production worthy(visually impressive and a little dumb), at other times it looked like one of those indie movies with some deep crap going on and a very down to earth style but not really going anywhere. and on some occasion I was wondering why anybody would let the scene like that instead of demanding to have a rerun until the acting and photography job came up right.
in the end I got a lot of surprise in the first minute or so, and really none for the rest of the movie. I hope they kept some ideas unused because they plan for more movies in the same universe, and not because of a total lack of creativity. so my score reflects that and how overall it was an entertaining movie. when looking at home I tend to get bored fast and do something else while "watching" the movie. I didn't for this one. it kept me well entertained for most of the movie and that in my book is success. I only regret to see some great ideas not being used to their full potential. but I'd have more of this and less Transformers/Fast&Furious.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back