Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 17, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #21,331 of 24,647
I'd (successfully) forgotten that gem. Thanks for the reminder :anguished:

Any time:) So you go from American Graffitti to Star Wars to Howard. Graph that out and it really makes for an unappealing career curve.

Dec 18, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #21,333 of 24,647
Star Wars: The Last Jedi 3D

7/10

It´s a great war movie on the big screen. I am happy I went with the 3D viewing. Don´t have any less logical flaws then the general sci fi but have a smart ending at least. Story wise it´s a hamster wheel it still don´t get anywhere but it all have to give way to pew pew pew but I want to remember they did that to the last movie as well? It´s a movie you forget the minute the credits roll but entertaining during the ride.

Dec 19, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #21,334 of 24,647
B078DF33-8D57-4DD7-910C-6C382B8C1F15.jpeg

Wow, well I guess if you were looking for different this is it. Dead-pan humor and a strange tale void of any redeeming qualities. Simply......it does pull your emotions, though any movie with hurt kids would. Our star actress once in the center of the spotlights, has been reduced to a woman who would do anything to save her family, including one-off disjointed car-sex.
It’s maybe the dark-comedy that’s on such a lowbrow yet intelligent level, that it flys over your head on first viewing. It’s a thriller too, so you are meant to take that part seriously. Like that kid in school who had very off color jokes, you didn’t figure him out till a month into the school year. It’s like “huh” that’s suppose to be funny?

My first score was a 3, then I thought, “This movie wants to be rated a 3!”

It simply does not care....

7-10

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #21,335 of 24,647

Wow, well I guess if you were looking for different this is it. Dead-pan humor and a strange tale void of any redeeming qualities. Simply......it does pull your emotions, though any movie with hurt kids would. Our star actress once in the center of the spotlights, has been reduced to a woman who would do anything to save her family, including one-off disjointed car-sex.
It’s maybe the dark-comedy that’s on such a lowbrow yet intelligent level, that it flys over your head on first viewing. It’s a thriller too, so you are meant to take that part seriously. Like that kid in school who had very off color jokes, you didn’t figure him out till a month into the school year. It’s like “huh” that’s suppose to be funny?

My first score was a 3, then I thought, “This movie wants to be rated a 3!”

It simply does not care....

7-10

I really liked this one. I get what you mean about it being lowbrow and intelligent at the same time though: I think that's the intention - the way I see it, it's Lanthimos making art house horror.

I think the story is meant to be taken at face value - a modern take on the myth of Iphigenia; the sacrifice realized through an old school supernatural curse that has to be fulfilled, much like you get in Ringu or Ju-On. In a traditional horror, the curse wouldn't need explaining, you'd just accept it as a typical mechanism of the genre. The humour's jet black but it's there throughout; there's something amusingly absurd about the way the kids are both dragging themselves around and the way all the characters have such a monotone delivery is funny too - it undermines their credibility and therefore your sympathy for them; I don't think any of the characters are sympathetic in the end, so you can enjoy the excruciating resolution. The delivery seemed stilted at first but I grew to enjoy it; it's obviously a stylistic choice and just adds to the weirdness. Definitely the weirdest and most unique film I saw at LFF and I give it props for that.

Dec 20, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #21,336 of 24,647
Red, I was kind of intrigued/puzzled by what you were trying to say. but after reading it's from Lanthimos, suddenly your post makes perfect sense to me. :smile_cat:

Dec 20, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #21,337 of 24,647
Red, I was kind of intrigued/puzzled by what you were trying to say. but after reading it's from Lanthimos, suddenly your post makes perfect sense to me. :smile_cat:

The best part of the movie is probably the people who actually see the movie and are confused and stay confused (My Wife). I was bewildered till about 2 hours after the movie, then thought about it, maybe that's what it wants from the viewer?
Wraithape's take is a good read after you see it.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #21,338 of 24,647
The best part of the movie is probably the people who actually see the movie and are confused and stay confused (My Wife). I was bewildered till about 2 hours after the movie, then thought about it, maybe that's what it wants from the viewer?
Wraithape's take is a good read after you see it.

Been damn near a year and thats how I came out of The Lobster so I was reluctant to view this one. Oddity for sure but thematically quite good. Not sure if he will ever become one of my favourite directors but definitely worth looking at.

BTW, what is up with the Kidman / Farrell coupling in horror films of late?

Dec 21, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #21,339 of 24,647
554EF29D-B9EC-490F-A155-0C1B4929CC5D.jpeg

Plot:
A successful doctor loses his little brother in a gang related assault and gives up his privileged life to become a masked warrior that can revenge his brother's death.

Review:
The fight sequences look a little amateurish though the movie goes past that flaw with great pacing and acting.

8/10

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #21,340 of 24,647

Plot:
A successful doctor loses his little brother in a gang related assault and gives up his privileged life to become a masked warrior that can revenge his brother's death.

Review:
The fight sequences look a little amateurish though the movie goes past that flaw with great pacing and acting.

8/10

Awesome. I have this one queued up for a watch.

Dec 22, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #21,341 of 24,647
BF66A1F9-E981-43BD-9A3F-346989240E76.jpeg

First movie I have watched in UHD. Have to say the movie is visually great, though the characters are thin, one dimensional.

4-10

Dec 22, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #21,342 of 24,647
FF92C84C-A6AF-4BA4-9DED-CBA2F69988BE.jpeg

Well made, clean spy thriller, has a gal in the James Bond role, though it just brings nothing new to the genre.

4-10

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #21,343 of 24,647
"Gunpowder" [7.6/10]: Though my rating may seem to be inconsistent with my comments, it is likely because it was a TV mini-series, rather than a movie. I do think that this HBO mini-series would have been better as one ninety-minute movie. However, it was well worth watching. It definitely had a "Game Of Thrones" feel to it, partially because "John Snow" was a main character. It was an interesting dramatic presentation about British activist Guy Fawkes and a group of English Catholics who devised a plot to blow up the House of Lords and to kill King James I in the early 17th century. (shades of "V"...). Hey, I enjoyed it, especially during this time of year when everything one normally watches is on hiatus.

Dec 22, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #21,344 of 24,647
69602B71-D6F6-44BD-9C2B-A72D05D7474D.jpeg

Way..........way more involving than you would think. These two veterans show how to do another one!

8-10

Dec 23, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #21,345 of 24,647
LES DIABOLIQUES - French Poster by Raymond Gid 2.jpg

Les Diaboliques : 9/10

Meticulously directed psychological thriller that sees two women, a wife and mistress, plot to kill a sadistic and narcissistic husband, who is headmaster at a boarding school. After the deed is done, their paranoia builds following an unexpected turn of events. Vera Clouzot's performance as the conflicted headmistress is particularly enjoyable; her initial misgivings about her involvement in the murder give way to a tide of self-doubt and paranoia later on. On a visual level, Armand Thirard's cinematography is beautiful and precise and catches a real sense of the Gothic; especially in the shadowy, wood-paneled corridors of the school, where much of the action is set.

By all accounts, Hitchcock wanted to option the novel but lost out to H.G. Clouzot. Nevertheless, he was very impressed with the finished product and it proved influential on his own films, as he in turn had influenced Clouzot. Robert Bloch, writer of Psycho, also claimed Les Diaboliques was one of his favourite films. Its influence lives on, and the fact that the impact of the plot twists may be felt less keenly by a modern audience is testament to how often they've been duplicated in the intervening years. At the time, the studio was determined to preserve the freshness of the twists for each new audience - it's the only film I can remember watching to have a spoiler alert at the end: "Don't be diabolical! Don't spoil the film for your friends by telling them what happens. Thanks on their behalf."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back