Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 17, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #21,316 of 24,635
I find it hard to skirt round the spoilers so I do my best, thanks. I will be interested to see your review on this one. I know I swim upstream with this particular franchise forever arguing against the masses, but then again "Billions and Billions Served" is really no testament that a Big Mac is actually fine dining:)

I doubt I'll review it - I really don't trust my own judgement when it comes to Star Wars. Too much of a fanboy, as I've said before. I'll be sure to let you know though! Can't argue with your Big Mac analogy, but then again, sometimes you just crave a Big Mac and no amount of sea urchin ceviche will cut it.

Woo direct IX? :nerd: It will turn into two blaster shooting fest. So many possibilities with so many storm troopers... They will need to add a star wars version of tequila character. There will be lots of slow motion blaster scenes.

Sounds great!

Dec 17, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #21,318 of 24,635
I doubt I'll review it - I really don't trust my own judgement when it comes to Star Wars. Too much of a fanboy, as I've said before. I'll be sure to let you know though! Can't argue with your Big Mac analogy, but then again, sometimes you just crave a Big Mac and no amount of sea urchin ceviche will cut it.

Sounds great!

Oddly, my cravings for a Big Mac are usually limited to when I am hungover:)

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #21,319 of 24,635
I will give disney star wars one last shot but yes it could have ended outside the original trilogue. I also take any of Lucas three new films over any of the disney movies I seen so far.

Capitalism destroys so much. It don´t matter if they have a good script or not they must release a new star wars movie every year to get back the money they bought the franchise for.

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #21,320 of 24,635
I will give disney star wars one last shot but yes it could have ended outside the original trilogue. I also take any of Lucas three new films over any of the disney movies I seen so far.

Capitalism destroys so much. It don´t matter if they have a good script or not they must release a new star wars movie every year to get back the money they bought the franchise for.
Yeah, I think the last decade or so, the creative direction took a bit dive, and it all seems to be about the profits more so than bringing new ideas to the screen. Big budget films playing on nostalgia than original ideas.

Although, it is due to capitalism that we have large film industry, and did have a lot of great movies over the years, but too systematic of an industry looking at the markets than making a fertile environment for artist's freedom of creative expression doesn't push for evolution in creations.

I think also that film is not the same medium that were well regarded for entertainment over the years before the computers and communications really took over.

Dec 17, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #21,321 of 24,635
my favorite star wars is the one where they try to stop Mega Maid from sucking up all the air of planet Druidia. it was one intense movie.

Dec 17, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #21,322 of 24,635
Yeah, I think the last decade or so, the creative direction took a bit dive, and it all seems to be about the profits more so than bringing new ideas to the screen. Big budget films playing on nostalgia than original ideas.

Although, it is due to capitalism that we have large film industry, and did have a lot of great movies over the years, but too systematic of an industry looking at the markets than making a fertile environment for artist's freedom of creative expression doesn't push for evolution in creations.

I think also that film is not the same medium that were well regarded for entertainment over the years before the computers and communications really took over.

God Bless horizontal integration and mergers. Murdoch's laughing all the way to the bank, Mickey Mouse is dealing blackjack at The Sands while Minnie is now peeling for a living off the main drag. Star Wars has to continue just for the sake of disguised autobiography. One Evil Empire making films about another. Life is indeed a recursive enterprise:)

Dec 17, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #21,323 of 24,635
I also take any of Lucas three new films over any of the disney movies I seen so far.

Are you serious? Those films were appalling - badly written, hopelessly miscast with far too much CG. Sith was barely passable but Clowns was deadly boring and the level of acting in the first one could be bettered by a copse. In a galaxy far far away, Lucas was a moderately talented film maker who decided to stop making films and tinker with his toys for 20 years.

Dec 17, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #21,324 of 24,635
Are you serious? Those films were appalling - badly written, hopelessly miscast with far too much CG. Sith was barely passable but Clowns was deadly boring and the level of acting in the first one could be bettered by a copse. In a galaxy far far away, Lucas was a moderately talented film maker who decided to stop making films and tinker with his toys for 20 years.
Does age cause creative decline? Similarly Woo's peak days were in his early HongKong movie making days. This is quite true with Lucas as well. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Willow. I think that the original star wars just had the right production to really revolutionize the film industry. You cannot credit Lucas only, there are many creative people involved to come up with FX solutions and designs.

I realized how terrible of a person's creative capability can get over time looking at the prequals. Those weren't necessary, and misguided. Acting, story, casting was just misguided, and cannot match the original.

Dec 17, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #21,325 of 24,635
Does age cause creative decline? Similarly Woo's peak days were in his early HongKong movie making days. This is quite true with Lucas as well. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Willow. I think that the original star wars just had the right production to really revolutionize the film industry. You cannot credit Lucas only, there are many creative people involved to come up with FX solutions and designs.

I realized how terrible of a person's creative capability can get over time looking at the prequals. Those weren't necessary, and misguided. Acting, story, casting was just misguided, and cannot match the original.

which goes back to the innovation bit. Getting Dykstra to create effects that did not exist. Poring over dozens of aerial battle films from WWII to get the model movements down. You do not have any of that groundbreaking discovery work in the later films whatsoever.

Dec 17, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #21,326 of 24,635

It's certainly the case that the best work is often the most vital. Guys like Argento and Carpenter had their hay day in the late 70s / early 80s, and have steadily declined in quality output ever since. Maybe you could say the few exceptions are the true greats, like Kubrick, where the well doesn't run dry but actually gets deeper with age. Lucas is a different case though - most filmmakers finish one project then move onto the next. He spent 20 or 30 years just tweaking the original Star Wars trilogy.

Dec 17, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #21,327 of 24,635
It's certainly the case that the best work is often the most vital. Guys like Argento and Carpenter had their hay day in the late 70s / early 80s, and have steadily declined in quality output ever since. Maybe you could say the few exceptions are the true greats, like Kubrick, where the well doesn't run dry but actually gets deeper with age. Lucas is a different case though - most filmmakers finish one project then move onto the next. He spent 20 or 30 years just tweaking the original Star Wars trilogy.
I guess not working on films for so long and tackling a major prequel was the wrong way to go. Although, tackling the original Star Wars was quite a task as well, but he was probably just in his prime ready for something like that.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #21,328 of 24,635
Memory maybe fails me but I do remember be able to work around the flaws and have some fun. Can´t say that about Disney Star Wars where they are not getting anywhere because they need to set the story up for 500 sequels.

Last movies watched guardians of the galaxy 2. 6/10. Good looking movie despite not going for the 4K but dunno I didn´t find it funny like the original and just had a weird feel about it. But on the other hand that gave it some originality.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #21,329 of 24,635
Oh come now, he did give the world that awesome gift of Howard the Duck in between:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back