Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jun 24, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #19,366 of 24,675
Independence day 2 - 6.75/10

I liked it. Seems to be best when it's not trying to take itself so seriously.
If it wasn't for some of the comedy I might have rated this lower.

I really wish Will Smith would have been in this! Maybe they offered him a role, but he refused the script (doubt it).
I think they just assumed he would be too expensive to hire.

Some of it is kind of boring. Definitely not as fun/entertaining as the original.

I've seen the original about 2000 times and it's one of my favorites.
Possibly the most entertaining movies ever made, but one of the stupidest. It's funny that people take it so seriously and give it a 3/10.

ID2 is extremely overblown in every way.

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #19,367 of 24,675
Try Starship Troopers if you want something less serious. Come to think of it I think I will watch the sequels never got to it.

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #19,368 of 24,675
The Walk [8.6/10]: I enjoyed this film well beyond my expectations. I found the performances to be compelling. I was curious as to how Robert Zemeckis was going to make a walk across a wire (albeit between the twin towers of the World Trade Center...) an interesting movie of normal length. I had not realized that the story of Philippe Petit's life and that his preparation for his famous walk was so complex and so interesting. I remembered when this happened and was in New York shortly after it happened. Zemeckis portrayed both the event and the time period in which it took place accurately and effectively. I also had not remembered that Petit actually walked the wire eight times. My palms were actually sweating as he took "the walk." Highly recommended...

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #19,369 of 24,675
Independence day 2 - 6.75/10

I liked it. Seems to be best when it's not trying to take itself so seriously.
If it wasn't for some of the comedy I might have rated this lower.

I really wish Will Smith would have been in this! Maybe they offered him a role, but he refused the script (doubt it).
I think they just assumed he would be too expensive to hire.

Some of it is kind of boring. Definitely not as fun/entertaining as the original.

I've seen the original about 2000 times and it's one of my favorites.
Possibly the most entertaining movies ever made, but one of the stupidest. It's funny that people take it so seriously and give it a 3/10.

ID2 is extremely overblown in every way.

I fully assume they didn't assume. Either Smith wasn't doing it or his price wasn't worth it.

The Walk [8.6/10]: I enjoyed this film well beyond my expectations. I found the performances to be compelling. I was curious as to how Robert Zemeckis was going to make a walk across a wire (albeit between the twin towers of the World Trade Center...) an interesting movie of normal length. I had not realized that the story of [COLOR=222222]Philippe Petit's life and that his preparation for his famous walk [/COLOR]was so complex and so interesting. I remembered when this happened and was in New York shortly after it happened. Zemeckis portrayed both the event and the time period in which it took place accurately and effectively. I also had not remembered that Petit actually walked the wire eight times. My palms were actually sweating as he took "the walk." Highly recommended...

Had no real intention of watching this. The Zemeckis part got me interested. I forgot he did this one. Any idea how it compares to Man on Wire? Don't really want to watch both lol.

Jun 24, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #19,370 of 24,675
Quote:
The Walk [8.6/10]: I enjoyed this film well beyond my expectations. I found the performances to be compelling. I was curious as to how Robert Zemeckis was going to make a walk across a wire (albeit between the twin towers of the World Trade Center...) an interesting movie of normal length. I had not realized that the story of Philippe Petit's life and that his preparation for his famous walk was so complex and so interesting. I remembered when this happened and was in New York shortly after it happened. Zemeckis portrayed both the event and the time period in which it took place accurately and effectively. I also had not remembered that Petit actually walked the wire eight times. My palms were actually sweating as he took "the walk." Highly recommended...

Had no real intention of watching this. The Zemeckis part got me interested. I forgot he did this one. Any idea how it compares to Man on Wire? Don't really want to watch both lol.

Unfortunately, I have not seen, "Man On The Wire." After enjoying "The Walk," I will have to look it up to see how they compare. "The Walk" is a good film. Definitely worth the expenditure of time...

Jun 24, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #19,371 of 24,675
I have seen both and yes see both it don´t take away from eachother at all. The documentaries often is more interesting no difference here.

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #19,372 of 24,675
  Unfortunately, I have not seen, "Man On The Wire." After enjoying "The Walk," I will have to look it up to see how they compare. "The Walk" is a good film. Definitely worth the expenditure of time...

Thanks!
You know, i actually typed Man On The Wire, and pretty much did a triple take when saw the name of the film excluded the word "the".

I have seen both and yes see both it don´t take away from eachother at all. The documentaries often is more interesting no difference here.

Thanks. Decisions...

The Big Lebowski [8.6/10]
John Goodman yelling should be awarded Hollywood landmark status. This one has a lot going for it and I can see why it has such a following. Some very strong performances and good casting. The quotability factor is high. Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Julianne Moore just deliver, though she did remind me of Mrs. White from Clue.

It has a piece of everything: comedy, satire, action, slapstick, mystery, all while not really being any of these. Its one of the few films I’ve seen where I’m not complaining about it being spread thin. That IMO is an achievement. And in ways, I feel that’s partially the point. It’s a film that defies boundaries and in whole and in part is open to interpretation. The characters appeared a bit one dimensional, but I can’t presume that it wasn’t intentional.

The whole thing just feels intentionally unintentional, if that makes sense. Kind of like life. Cause and effect, but sometimes crap is just there and crap just happens. There appear to be many interpretations of the point of and the commentary being made by the film, a lot of which appear valid. But like art, they might very well be projections of ourselves, and in that both embody and miss the point.

Trumbo (2015) [8.6/10]
See re: John Goodman in The Big Lebowski commentary above.
The supporting cast here has legs that just go on for days. It's immense in size and overall quality of delivery.

In all the films I’ve seen lately which tell the story of a real person, I’ve felt that the lead played it heavy handed, that I expect a bit more subtlety from people, a person. But maybe genius and prolificacy are just that, very pointed, ardent, and unwavering in the presentation of the self. But I can’t shake the feeling that there can’t not be moments where the seas are calm. It might just be that these moments don’t make for good cinema, but I feel that they would go a long way to showing humanity, if they exist.

The history here is incredibly interesting. It’s also a vivid reminder of how fragile yet lurid people can be, both inside and out. It’s reinforces my fears of mob mentality and the result of manipulation through fear. The ugliness of it all. It obviously has a message and whether you agree or not is of your own volition. But like history tends to do, it ends up being just as relevant now as it was then.

I'd score this a bit higher if not for the grandstanding. You could probably have cut a bit out and still gotten the message across.

Jun 24, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #19,373 of 24,675

The Night of the Hunter - 8/10

Charles Laughton's only directorial credit is an unusual entry in the annals of Film Noir. It has some of the trappings of classic Noir, in the long shadows and creeping paranoia, but its style is more eclectic - urban mazes replaced by a pastoral landscape more reminiscent of the old West. And despite the darkness, there's also a fairy tale quality to the narrative and the imagery, evoking an Arcadia that the hunter's shadow darkens but can never fully envelop. The setting is Depression-era America, the time of the film's production McCarthy-era (the lynch mob at the end a timely reminder) and its themes are of innocence lost and guarding against the triumph of fear.

Some memorable photography - the scene in the lake, which brings to mind Millais's painting Ophelia; the quiet magic of the childrens' night time voyage in the skiff, observed by wild animals from the river bank; Lillian Gish in her rocking chair on the porch, cradling a shotgun as she keeps a night vigil, warding off the hunter. In terms of the performances, Mitchum is obviously the main draw, a primal menace bubbling under the surface of his outwardly charming character, but some strong supporting performances from Shelley Winters and Lillian Gish as well.

Unusually for a Noir from this period, the film ends on a positive note. Funny to see the mention of Lebowski above; I couldn't help but think of "The Dude abides" at the end of this one too!

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #19,374 of 24,675

The Night of the Hunter - 8/10

Charles Laughton's only directorial credit is an unusual entry in the annals of Film Noir. It has some of the trappings of classic Noir, in the long shadows and creeping paranoia, but its style is more eclectic - urban mazes replaced by a pastoral landscape more reminiscent of the old West. And despite the darkness, there's also a fairy tale quality to the narrative and the imagery, evoking an Arcadia that the hunter's shadow darkens but can never fully envelop. The setting is Depression-era America, the time of the film's production McCarthy-era (the lynch mob at the end a timely reminder) and its themes are of innocence lost and guarding against the triumph of fear.

Some memorable photography - the scene in the lake, which brings to mind Millais's painting Ophelia; the quiet magic of the childrens' night time voyage in the skiff, observed by wild animals from the river bank; Lillian Gish in her rocking chair on the porch, cradling a shotgun as she keeps a night vigil, warding off the hunter. In terms of the performances, Mitchum is obviously the main draw, a primal menace bubbling under the surface of his outwardly charming character, but some strong supporting performances from Shelley Winters and Lillian Gish as well.

Unusually for a Noir from this period, the film ends on a positive note. Funny to see the mention of Lebowski above; I couldn't help but think of "The Dude abides" at the end of this one too!

An awesome film. I have waited in vain for someone to have written the story of it's making and now I fear there is no one left who can do it. Two of actings most awesome talents of their day, both of them known for fierce willpower at the same time as self deprecation, collided at the peak of their careers. Laughton had directed many a stage play previously to wild acclaim so it was always a mystery why the hollywood system shut him out of film directing. Even given this chance they suckered him by taking Mitchum away to shoot another film during the production forcing delays no end. The result was a box office loser and some say it was underpromoted and overshadowed by Mitchums other film intentionally.

I saw this originally as a kid and it scared the poop out of me. As an adult is still chills me no end. Laughton got a whole lot more out of Mitchum than Thomson did in Cape Fear and thats no mean feat.
  Small wonder, when queried as to his favourite director to work with Mitchum claimed it was Laughton.

This is a must see film.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #19,375 of 24,675

10/10

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #19,376 of 24,675
"Free State Of Jones" [8.0/10]: I tend to like films that are "based on actual events," just as I tend to like nonfiction books. That's why I made the time to go to a theater to see this movie, and I don't go to the movie theater often. I teach history and have always been fascinated by this Civil War era story (and it's resonance today...). The film was well done. Visually, some of the best reenactment, costume and production design that I have seen in a Civil War Era-based film. Matthew McConaughey was, to me, surprisingly believable as Newton Knight. I thought that the flash-forward scenes were not particularly effective. The use of the "subtitles" was also somewhat awkward. However, overall it was an interesting film that was definitely worth seeing. I would recommend that anyone planning to see "Free State Of Jones" reads the "State Of Jones" by John Stauffer and Sally Jenkins before viewing the film.

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #19,377 of 24,675
The Witch ( 2016) 7/10

It looks like an art-house film but in my opinion it's artsy in negative sense. I found the story of the movie to be cringe-worthy and absurd though the movie in the sense of cinematography still delivered which made me confused in evaluating my perception of the film.

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #19,378 of 24,675
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - 9/10

Second time seeing this and it has always been stuck in my head. Love this movie and now I own it.
Hard to believe this is PG! It's fun/scary and not gory. Not exactly a family movie though!
For PG it surprising to see an axe to the head and nudity (which is a no-no in the USA for PG movies).
Can you imagine what they would do if there was nudity in a PG movie these days?
In the 80s it was no big deal. Here in the USA I can believe how much gore you can display, but yet nudity or swearing is not allowed.
BTW it's amazing how bad early DVDs were in terms of video quality. The DVD of this is awful!

Trumbo - 8.5/10

Liked it a lot, but probably wouldn't watch it ever again. Better than expected!
Hard to believe all this nonsense ever happened. Would something like this ever happen again? Probably!
Please don't get me talking about...you know who.

Lethal Weapon - 7/10
Not much different than every other movie like it, but I liked the characters in it, especially Danny Glover.
Mel Gibson really deserves another chance in Hollywood. He has some talent as a director. His acting is pretty OK too.
Overall a pretty decent movie.

Yes Man - 8.5/10

This was 10x funnier than I remember! It also even made me THINK (a little), which is rare for a comedy.
Another good Jim Carry movie that's similar is "Liar, Liar". I like that one a little more.

Contact - 9/10

One of the few movies that has improved over several dozen viewings.
One of my all time favorites despite the light show ending.
I really would like to read the book.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #19,380 of 24,675
Inside Out [6.5/10]

This was possibly the worst Pixar movie I've seen. The plot was pretty much dollar bin last picking. This is what I expect when Pixar has run out of ideas and its quality animators have left. It's superficial, emotionally manipulative, having little to no character depth and with some seriously questionable plot mechanics. Breathe on this thing by accident and it will crumble under its fragility and weight of the bed decisions from which it resulted.

There were a few good moments, but not enough to support a feature length film. This would probably have been better as a short. And the level of emotional manipulation is not appropriate for a children's film imo.

Pretty disappointed after the hype.

[rule]

tdockweiler Liar Liar was one of those movies that effectively worked as a continuous gag reel. I'm not sure how it wasn't made prior to that. It's a movie that literally requires no technical filmmaking. Maybe they were just waiting for Jim Carey to be born. Either way, it's one of those movies that pretty much work on jokes alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back